Western Digital unveils WD TV Play streaming box

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
@2gunsup @GoldenGlove

wdtvplay620x340pxhedimg.jpg

After making a stop at the FCC recently, Western Digital's WD TV Play streaming media player got an official announce this morning. The Roku-esque streaming media box touts easy setup, a $70 price tag, and connectivity with a variety of apps (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, VUDU, SlingPlayer, Spotify, Pandora and Facebook are specifically named). The device can also manage and display your own media, via DLNA-friendly devices, all in 1080p. A remote control comes with the device, but there's also a free WD TV Remote application headed to iOS and Android devices -- you'll need WiFi running to get the app synced up, of course.

The WD TV Play is already available for purchase via Western Digital's online store, and there's no word on retail availability. We've reached out to Western Digital to find out more.

With the Wi-Fi® connected WD TV Play media player, customers can easily stream hit movies, view the latest viral videos, catch up on TV shows and stay connected to social networks through apps such as YouTube®, Netflix®, Hulu Plus™, VUDU®, SlingPlayer®, Spotify®, Pandora® and Facebook, among many others1. Unlike many other streaming media players, WD TV Play also lets customers enjoy a variety of media they already own, such as photos, music and videos. Customers can play content located on any computer or network attached storage that has a DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) server, such as the My Book® Live™ personal cloud storage, as well as from any directly connected digital camcorder, camera or USB drive.
Simple to Setup and Easy to Use
WD TV Play's high-speed wireless or Ethernet connections support Full-HD 1080p video streaming. The setup process is simple and intuitive so that customers are up and running in minutes. Once connected, customers navigate a familiar-feeling app-based user interface to play their entertainment or personalize their home screen with favorite apps. Customers can also set their favorite app to automatically play when WD TV Play is turned on, perfect for listening to music and running a slideshow of photos.
WD TV Play's new remote control features pre-programmed buttons, giving customers one-touch access to their favorite apps. Customers can also download the free WD TV Remote™ app to turn their iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, or Android™ compatible mobile device into an advanced remote control. WD TV Remote connects over the home wireless network and works with multiple WD TV media players in the home.
"We are excited to bring popular Internet channels and the ability to play personal media from other connected devices in the home, to budget-minded customers," said Scott Vouri , general manager for WD's connected life solutions group. "Those features and our new, easy-to-use interface make WD TV Play a product that brings smart-TV benefits to a wide range of people.

PR Newswire (WD® Introduces Versatile Media Player For Streaming Fans -- IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --)

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T/M2TS (MPEG4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, AVC), WMV9, FLV (AVC)

Photo - JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF, BMP, PNG

Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby TrueHD

Playlist - PLS, M3U, WPL, M3U8, XML, CUE

Subtitle - SRT, ASS, SSA, SUB, SMI, MKV (embedded sub)

Western Digital unveils WD TV Play streaming box, directly competes with Roku

WD® Introduces Versatile Media Player For Streaming Fans -- IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

Pics of the UI

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/western-digital-tv-play/4505-6739_7-35604164.html

:leon: is this better than roku? only thing i see if the rokus ability to run plex

Last edited by a moderator:

BIGDENNIS10UK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Seems to add nothing more than the wdtv live I got already.

They need to make their yiutube app more user friendly.

Edit:I guess the pint is its more user friendly, but is have to use it before I bought it.

CTech83

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
Might as well spend an extra $20 and get the wdtv live. That way you can play your own media through USB.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Whata the difference between this or the roku series I have one of those. In fact just reminded me to get rid of my premium channels aint nothing on I watch.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Whata the difference between this or the roku series I have one of those. In fact just reminded me to get rid of my premium channels aint nothing on I watch.

so far only differences is that this has a youtube app and can play mkv files and its cheaper

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
so far only differences is that this has a youtube app and can play mkv files and its cheaper

I didnt even know roku didnt have YouTube it seems like YouTube is on everything. Thanks for the info this may be cool for my daughter.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I didnt even know roku didnt have YouTube it seems like YouTube is on everything. Thanks for the info this may be cool for my daughter.

CNET already review it

Western Digital TV Play Review - Digital Media Receivers - CNET Reviews

The good: The WD TV Play offers an improved interface and a greater selection of content than before. Setup is easy and the connection stayed solid during testing. The WD TV Play is one of the best values available in the market.
The bad: Missing some important apps, including Amazon Instant and live sports apps. The device couldn't playback all test videos despite listed compatibility. The gaming apps aren't very worthwhile.
The bottom line: The WD TV Play is the best alternative to Roku and Apple TV for viewers looking to access their personal media collection.
I have held a personal fondness for WD TV boxes since the release of the original streamer in late 2008. Each model has improved markedly on the last and the newest WD TV Play is the best of the bunch.

With its $69 price tag, the WD TV Play is priced competitively, falling directly between the two big dogs of the sub-$100 media streamer space: the Roku ($50 to $100) and the Apple TV ($100). Its interface is clean, setup is a breeze, and playback during our testing was glitch-free. And it's got many of the "must-have" streaming apps, including Netflix, Vudu, Hulu Plus, and Spotify -- plus YouTube and SlingPlayer, two apps that aren't currently available on Roku.

Current weak spots are the dearth of Amazon Instant and live sports, such as MLB baseball, NBA, and NHL -- all of which, along with hundreds of other channels -- are available on Roku. And, of course, the WD won't do the Apple and iTunes-based media that the Apple TV does so well. But the WD TV will do a great job pulling PC-based media -- especially audio -- that you already have on your network.

In other words, stick with the Roku if you want the most Internet-based media services, and the Apple TV if you're already invested in the Apple content ecosystem. But opt for the WD TV Play if you're looking for a streamer which offers the best mix of cloud streaming and DLNA/home network playback. Especially if you're interested in the latter, the WD TV Play is the best player for the money.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
if I wasn't into gaming, I would get one of these instead of building a 'htpc'

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
fukk WD

Im not buying shyt from them lazy b*stards

How about a firmware update for the wd live plus or some new fukking apps...or atleast update the old ones

These motherfukkas dony support their products at all

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
im pretty sure the roku can stream mkvs

when are they gonna make the roku type box with a built in hard drive so I can copy my movies straight on there and watch em?

Never

The roku is made for streaming

Strapped

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I'm waiting on wmv support,why the fukk don't they give some money to vlc or klite & use their codecs.they have a new up on the site dawgie

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
when are they gonna make the roku type box with a built in hard drive so I can copy my movies straight on there and watch em?

...or how about you install Plex Media Server on your PC and then just stream everything to the Roku that's on your computer.

Why would you want to go through the process of downloading some shyt, and then copying it to something else just to watch it?