Wes Anderson’s ‘Asteroid City’ | Starring Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, and the rest of Hollywood | In Cinemas 6/16

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
just watched this a second time to make sure i wasnt bugging.... its really just not worth recommending and its not fun to watch. its a slog in alot of parts. although i did get more meaning out of it all, and i can see now that even the things that annoyed me had a meaning (the way the main character talks with the cigar, and the overly stilted and rushed dialogue) even if the meaning doesnt redeem it for me either way. the movie speaks to uncertainty and the quarantine lockdown in a specific yet abstract way which was thoughtful on the rewatch.

a solid 3/5 on behalf of the cinematography and the color palette as well as the fact that you have to be damn good actors to pull off this nonsense with a straight face, and the cast absolutely kills it at doing what Wes wanted. if Wes wasnt there, no one would have any clue what to do or how to bring this script to production. probably his most personal movie.

i really hope he dials it back going forward. if he could give us one more movie in that royal tenebaum / steve zissou pocket I'd be happy. stylized realism with normal speaking patterns.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Live long enough to see Jason Schwartzman play an awkward kid in Rushmore, then see him play a father to an awkward kid yet Jason's character himself is still awkward.

At least he doesn't have a problem pulling the babes like he and Bill Murray had in Rushmore, pulling both Margot Robbie and Scarlett Johansson

Mr. Manhattan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The only movie I'll give this weirdo director props for is Grand Budapest
and that's only because I was forced to watch it in college

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Man, wes Anderson and Robert Yoemen are *so* gifted at making a beautiful movie. This really looked like a painting and the black and white scenes looked amazing.

This is wes' most interesting movie since grand Budapest for sure, and probably life aquatic.