We need to have a serious discussion on season 5 of The Wire

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Season 2 of The Wire is incredible. It ties so many things together. I don't understand why people hate on season 2.
For me, when I first watched the show, it was because I was expecting more street shyt. But a decade plus later on my first re-watch I really enjoyed it. It’s a key season showing how the bigger picture fits in to all of the drugs and crime.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only things that really bothered me was they spent way too much time on the newspaper storyline & I never got my Omar/Marlo showdown

Other than that I thought it was cool, and I thought they did a pretty good job wrapping every angle up in the finale
The expectation of showdowns goes against everything the Wire was

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
At no time did I ever think we were going to get a Marlo/Omar showdown. At best a shoot out with Snoop and Chris was the best we were going to get and it is what we got. I appreciate the Wire for not following a hollywood formula and keeping shyt more grounded in that aspect. The fake serial killer/newspaper story line was stupid though, but other aspects of the season made up for it IMO.
Right... Big showdown at the OK Corral and shyt..

Money Be Green

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Pitts
McNulty's storyline was easily the worst in the history of the series. It is so unforgivably ridiculous it derails the show. The stuff with the newspaper wasn't the most compelling because of the milquetoast performances from the actors in the news room. The story itself was actually fine...it was the actors (or how they were directed). These performances:

cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg
cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg
cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg
cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg

were so got damn boring compared to the rest of the world...

compare them to ANY of the police on the show. Are any of the above as memorable as these randoms:
cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg
cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg
cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg
cq5dam.web.260.260.jpeg

no. The actual performances from the news reporters made the show more boring. Freakin Santangelo > the news room.

The marlo/prop joe/Co-Op story, as well as the extension of the story about the youth were both strong. And Bubbles was the MVP of the entire season, with season 5 bubbles being maybe the best single season performance of the series. Legitimately top tier.

:ufdup: Thats my wife pleighboi

1577612046_928_How-Did-Lawrence-Gilliard-Jr-Earn-His-Net-Worth-of-2-Million.jpg

hitmonlee

All Star
Daps
I have no idea why people keep calling this show the goat with the awful season 5 and 2

Only 3 out of 5 seasons were good. The wire isnt even in my top 15 with how bad those two seasons were

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I have no idea why people keep calling this show the goat with the awful season 5 and 2

Only 3 out of 5 seasons were good. The wire isnt even in my top 15 with how bad those two seasons were
The disrespect for season 2… :scust:

I was like that after my first watch when I was a youngin’. After my first rewatch months ago I appreciate it more. Like I said before, I really don’t remember season 5 being :huhldup: back in the day. I think I blocked it from my mind. :heh:

But this show is so fukkin great with seasons 1-4 that I still have it number 2. Plus the characters make it standout. Each season has something new and memorable.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Wasnt alot of that stuff in season 5 to set up the spin off that never happened?

And yea sucks that we never got marlo and omar show down and because we have season 2(which alot hate i dont mind)/5 (which is meh but still had its moments)not sure if wire belongs in the goat conversation even tho 1,3,4 are god tier television.

Daps
One of the main writers and co creator Ed Burns left after season 4

That is why season 5 dopped in quality to the other 4

He was the Baltimore detective who then became a school teacher in real life

In real life he didnt obey the chain of command and complained so they set him up with a team out the way to bring down Melvin Williams,Just like McNulty in season 1 and after that he become a shool teacher,
Hence why season 4 was all about the schools

Then he went on to write about all his experiences in The Wire

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
I won’t front, first run through of Season 2 I was bored to death and hated it

Rewatched and had to let it digest then I was able to appreciate it