We need to have a serious discussion on season 5 of The Wire

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I just finished my first re-watch and I can't believe I forgot how ridiculously outlandish season 5 is. :scust: Maybe I tried blocking it from my memory, but man, it left I bad taste with me this time around. It's like they made it unnecessarily complex and didn't think it through. :dwillhuh:

-The Newspaper storyline: in the final season they decide to give a story about a shytty reporter making up stuff. This didn't need the time or focus on when the show is coming to an end. I'm not saying the newspaper shouldn't have had a role, but they coulda did it better and with little time to cover this side of things (more on that later).

-Prop Joe: you're gonna tell me a vet of the drug game, someone who's seen plenty of people come and go in this business, was so naive to Marlo? Dude was warned multiple times about him, yet still put him on game. How you gonna introduce Marlo to your main connect because you want the guy to have reassurance? If you're gonna do that with him, might as well let others in. :gucci:

-Cheese's Betrayal: came out of nowhere and felt like a cop out. There's only one scene I can point at where Cheese may have had an issue with Joe (where Joe tells Marlo Cheese isn't in the Co-Op and has no say, basically), but there wasn't even a proper build-up to the tension between the two. So Cheese decides to become a soldier for Marlo after he was already a soldier for Joe? Why? More money? Ask for a raise. :gucci:

-McNulty's character arc: didn't have to go down the way it did. The homeless story didn't need to happen. If they wanted to show him go back to fukking up they coulda did a better job. Show him fighting temptation to revert, then make him fukk up. It woulda been better writing to show his downward spiral instead of, "hey, let's start the season where he's knee deep in the shyt. :ld:" :francis:

-Marlo Plot Armor: absolutely hated how this guy was portrayed as untouchable. At least with Avon and Stringer we saw how smart they were. All Marlo did was bark orders and it looked like Snoop and Chris were the brains more than him.

-The Connect: so these dudes are just gonna let some new guy come in and take over? After years of smooth sailing with Joe they're gonna trust the new kid? You don't destroy a business relationship where things have been good. :what:

A lot of people give shyt about season 2, but season 5 is the weakest and disappointing. Hell, watching this season made me appreciated Boardwalk Empire's season 5, another show I watched again recently; BE S5 is a much better season on re-watch.

Season 5 coulda just focused on Omar vs. Marlo with the police budget cuts and newspaper involvement playing a part in it. Bodies coulda been piling up and innocent victims caught in the crossfire. McNulty coulda made a connect with a writer to dish the dirt and bam, wiretap is up. Not only that, but they coulda gave Omar a glorious death instead of punk ass Kenard doing it. Marlo had an issue with his name being shyt on, so they coulda had dude get reckless because Omar was just eating him up. That's all that had to be done. :shaq2:

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
You gotta remember hbo gave the wire the ax after season 4.

Season 5 was originally 13 episodes and hbo had the wire reduce to 10.

Maybe with a full 13 episodes the season isn't so log jammed and the pacing is better.

It would have been good if we could have gotten a deep dive into the role the media plays on why things stay the same

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
You gotta remember hbo gave the wire the ax after season 4.

Season 5 was originally 13 episodes and hbo had the wire reduce to 10.

Maybe with a full 13 episodes the season isn't so log jammed and the pacing is better.

It would have been good if we could have gotten a deep dive into the role the media plays on why things stay the same
No excuses. Boardwalk Empire got the same treatment and only had 8 eps for season 5. At the time it was :francis:, but season 5 of BE ain't so bad when you watch the series again. Wire S5 is just :snoop:

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
Only things that really bothered me was they spent way too much time on the newspaper storyline & I never got my Omar/Marlo showdown

Other than that I thought it was cool, and I thought they did a pretty good job wrapping every angle up in the finale

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Only things that really bothered me was they spent way too much time on the newspaper storyline & I never got my Omar/Marlo showdown

Other than that I thought it was cool, and I thought they did a pretty good job wrapping every angle up in the finale
I was disappointed from an entertainment story that we never saw Marlo and Omar head up, but storyline wise I get it. That’s just how those things go. And a lot of people disliked season five because they felt like Marlo “got away” (OP even references plot armor) but that’s just things end up sometimes, and in the end he didn’t end up with any of the things he valued (respect of the street and his name ringing out) even though he ended up from an outsiders perspective in the best place of any dealer.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
I always just assumed Marlos days were numbered. He had a chance to get out and went back in. He learned nothing from getting locked up. He was too crazy to last long.

I thought the season was good but it was annoying that it was only 10 eps. It was outlandish but David Simon was a reporter before TV. I know a lot of the stories were based on real stories, and he probably took it to the limit for the last season.

mvp_status

Superstar
Daps
I was disappointed from an entertainment story that we never saw Marlo and Omar head up, but storyline wise I get it. That’s just how those things go. And a lot of people disliked season five because they felt like Marlo “got away” (OP even references plot armor) but that’s just things end up sometimes, and in the end he didn’t end up with any of the things he valued (respect of the street and his name ringing out) even though he ended up from an outsiders perspective in the best place of any dealer.

Yea that was definitely part of reinforcing the "life aint fair and shyt happens" message the show was about

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always just assumed Marlos days were numbered. He had a chance to get out and went back in. He learned nothing from getting locked up. He was too crazy to last long.

I thought the season was good but it was annoying that it was only 10 eps. It was outlandish but David Simon was a reporter before TV. I know a lot of the stories were based on real stories, and he probably took it to the limit for the last season.
That was the whole point though. Marlo had a chance to get out, but he never wanted out in the first place. Stringer’s goal was to flip the street life into legitimate business and play in that world, which is what Marlo was gonna get. Marlo wanted to be the king of the street and his name to ring out, so even though it seemed to the outside he was fortunate to be able to “get out,” he was actually losing because he had the opportunity for what he wanted taken away from him.

It’s almost like how everyone gets sad or feel fighters are stupid for not retiring before they’re too physically damaged to live life healthy, not realizing that fighting and being a champ in that world is the only thing they want.

I_Q

All Star
Daps
I forgot which season it was but Cheese didn't like how prop Joe gave in to omar when omar robbed his packages then sold them back to him for more money, he been seeing Joe as weak

And I don't think marlo had the happy ending people think. Yeah he survived and got money but his team is done, hes banned from the streets and no one cares about his name

I agree strongly about the newspaper shyt it took up too much screen time

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
Season 5 was the by far the worst season, but I don't have a problem with a lot of the things you mentioned.
The media is a big part of the problem and there needed to be a spotlight on how it effects a city like Baltimore.
Its just the serial killer angle and the lying reporter were way over the top (And I know some of the Omar stuff was based on a real life situation but still).

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I forgot which season it was but Cheese didn't like how prop Joe gave in to omar when omar robbed his packages then sold them back to him for more money, he been seeing Joe as weak

And I don't think marlo had the happy ending people think. Yeah he survived and got money but his team is done, hes banned from the streets and no one cares about his name

I agree strongly about the newspaper shyt it took up too much screen time
That was season 4 with Joe/Omar. The writers shoulda did a cleaner job with Cheese feeling some kinda of way tho. Plus Cheese had a thing against Omar because of it, which is why he gave up Butch. There wasn’t even a showdown between the two. :shaq2:

I don’t understand people giving this season a pass. I love the show, but some things just can’t be ignored. :ld:

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Yea, McNulty shouldn't have went out like that. And Freamon helping him made it worse. Everything else is tolerable. I'd rather him have taken on Marlo head on instead of the asymmetrical approach with the bum bodies. I also believe Bunk would have snitched as soon as he found out.