"We Got a Senior Slump in Wentzylvania" *2020 Philadelphia Eagles Season Thread*

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Let's say Doug gives up playcalling

Who TF gonna call the plays? I don't think press Taylor can do it
Rich Scangarello would be the 1st option, he was the play caller in Denver last year and didn't do a bad job (Lock looked way better with him compared to this season). He and Vic Fangio just didn't see eye to eye.

People are stuck on the play calling, but when you're missing multiple blocking assignments, and committing multiple penalties, and dealing with multiple bad snaps, and the QBs tripping over himself on 3rd down, and missing high to wide open targets - someone else calling plays isn't gonna magically cure that.

I don't blame Doug for holding off on that change, that's a desperate last resort type of move and I wouldn't do it either when I can turn on the tape and see so many fixable self inflicted mistakes.

So UnThotful

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TSC/Icey/ByrdGang
Isn't Mornhinweg on the staff?

:scust: he is but I'm good on that

Rich Scangarello would be the 1st option, he was the play caller in Denver last year and didn't do a bad job (Lock looked way better with him compared to this season). He and Vic Fangio just didn't see eye to eye.

People are stuck on the play calling, but when you're missing multiple blocking assignments, and committing multiple penalties, and dealing with multiple bad snaps, and the QBs tripping over himself on 3rd down, and missing high to wide open targets - someone else calling plays isn't gonna magically cure that.

I don't blame Doug for holding off on that change, that's a desperate last resort type of move and I wouldn't do it either when I can turn on the tape and see so many fixable self inflicted mistakes.

He was my first choice too but his play calling is the reason he got axed as OC for Denver, dude report is that he's a master of the x and O's and development of game plans but his play calling is ass

Which at this point if we just crumble, just see what duce can do at play calling

But this off season, we gotta hire a proper OC

Nonw of this pass/run coordinator stuff

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang...Bleedin Green

Although I agree, this system blows....Doug doesnt really scheme anyone open like they do in LA or SF for example- as the OC you have to identify your playmakers and then make a concerted effort to get them the ball....this bland ass passing offense is...hike the ball and beat your man

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Although I agree, this system blows....Doug doesnt really scheme anyone open like they do in LA or SF for example- as the OC you have to identify your playmakers and then make a concerted effort to get them the ball....this bland ass passing offense is...hike the ball and beat your man
That's a fair criticism, I've heard the film junkies criticize the route combinations in this offense and the lack of "easy throws" for a while.

That's the reason I was excited about adding Scangarello to the staff with his Shannahan background, I thought we'd get a taste of some of that window dressing SF/LA use to get their QBs gimme throws. Through 9 games we haven't seem much of it at all, but with the covid offseason it's hard to guage if implementing any of it was even realistic.

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
That's a fair criticism, I've heard the film junkies criticize the route combinations in this offense and the lack of "easy throws" for a while.

That's the reason I was excited about adding Scangarello to the staff with his Shannahan background, I thought we'd get a taste of some of that window dressing SF/LA use to get their QBs gimme throws. Through 9 games we haven't seem much of it at all, but with the covid offseason it's hard to guage if implementing any of it was even realistic.

Breh...I am with you...im thinking finally...we gonna get some sizzle with the steak.....9 games in...nothing....this is the same boring offense from last season- shyt..at this point- can I get a screen to Sanders? Goedert? Can I get an end around? something that resembles even the Eagles offense under dougs daddy....Andy Reid :beli:

ohh yeah...fukk howie roseman!

NYSTATEOFMIND

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Yall remember that report that came out months ago about Doug Pederson being burnt out?

NFL Rumors: Has Doug Pederson reached his limit? | PFN

It's looking like the insiders were onto something

I never caught this article...I wonder if the source is saying that based on how the eagles are playing or actual rumblings that Doug is burnt out

but I have always pondered if playcalling will be the hill Doug dies on in Philly....it could be an easy out for the Eagles to let him go because he refuses to let go of play calling (without looking like the bad guy)

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
I remember the rumor going around before the week 1 game
:mjcry:
That and a few other stories were based around a power struggle Doug had this offseason. Basically, Doug wanted to keep Mike Groh as OC and Lurie/Howie overruled him. There was a lot of talk about how it was uncommon for a SB winning HC to not get final say like that, but I had no issue with it because we've seen coaches flex that power to the detriment of the team before :

- Pete Carroll & Tom Cable. He refused to fire Cable as his OL coach even though that was Seattle's #1 issue for years
- Mike McCarthy & Dom Capers. Kept Dom as his DC way past the expiration date and wasted some of Rodgers prime years with terrible defenses

I saw it as Lurie/Howie saving Doug from himself but this current structure isn't working either. Some people who cover the team have hinted that having all those chefs in the kitchen has created a weird dynamic that's benefitted no one.