Watchmen appreciation thread

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
I read the book as a kid :old: and the shyt stuck with me, so I was real real real hesitant to watch the shyt. I only watched it maybe two months ago, really.

I was kinda pissed at the changes they made, but I understand that Watchmen was set in 85 and shyt and a lot of that stuff had to be made relevant to the audience.

So all in all, it was a pretty good movie.

And yeah, those fight scenes were WELL done. I remember I was talking to this girl poster here and I literally broke convo and was like ":whoo: Damn, Adrian gave the Comedian That Work!"

Like.... I was taken aback.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Went in not knowing anything about the movie. Thought I was getting the standard comic movie, was disappointed in the lack of action and fighting, and thought the story dragged and the movie seemed all to long. Was on a first date with a girl and she was complaining as well.

Ended up going to see it again when I ended up to late for a movie I meant to see. Knew what I was getting going in this time and absolutely fell in love with the movie. I have seen it over 20 times, own the ultimate cut on blu ray.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
858169_10200132661012581_1758296496_o.jpg

Doctor Manhattan: Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing. And yet, in each human coupling, a thousand million sperm vie for a single egg. Multiply those odds by countless generations, against the odds of your ancestors being alive; meeting; siring this precise son; that exact daughter... Until your mother loves a man she has every reason to hate, and of that union, of the thousand million children competing for fertilization, it was you, only you, that emerged. To distill so specific a form from that chaos of improbability, like turning air to gold... that is the crowning unlikelihood. The thermodynamic miracle.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
"Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.

Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world."

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought the comic was better, but the movie was still :obama:

It sucked that they cut out most of the scenes with the two Bernies and the pirate comic-- those parts gave a perspective on what it was like to be a regular dude around all those superheroes. It was already a 2 1/2 hour movie though, and they were in the ultimate cut, so :manny:

The pirate comic was also foreshadowing for Ozymandias' whole plot :patrice:

not to mention the existence of Bubastis and the way all those artists and writers were disappearing which built up to everything that went down with the genetically engineered squid :ohhh:

Speaking of which, my biggest beef was the movie was Ozymandias. He was miscast imo.

What made him so :whoo: in the book was how he was built up to be such a nice, heroic guy-- that's what made the twist in the end so shocking. In universe, everyone thought he was that dude.

And how the story was never really meant to have a clear-cut hero or villain, it made things ambiguous
Rorschach for example was a right-wing nutjob, but he was onto something with everything that was going down, and he was the only one who took a stand at the end :ohhh:
Manhattan could have ended it all in two seconds, but he couldn't really relate or care about people at all until after everything already went down. Dude was a fatalist :yeshrug:
The Comedian was the most conscious one out of all of them, but ol boy was a nihlist and never bothered to go against it until it was too late :troll:
And Veidt had good intentions, but his ways of getting there were :rudy: at best.

In the movie, they nailed Rorschach, Dan, Manhattan, and the Comedian, but Ozymandias didn't really work as well. Dude was straight sinister from the jump, :wtb:
That watered down the whole point of the comic and killed the suspense, imo

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
The only time I ever fell asleep at a theater was when I was watching this shyt. Thought it was boring :manny:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Manhattan could have ended it all in two seconds, but he couldn't really relate or care about people at all until after everything already went down. Dude was a fatalist :yeshrug:
The Comedian was the most conscious one out of all of them, but ol boy was a nihlist and never bothered to go against it until it was too late :troll:
And Veidt had good intentions, but his ways of getting there were :rudy: at best.
"Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense"

Manhattan had completely lost his sense of humanity with his new found powers.

"A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there’s no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned?"

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Rorschach: I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Best comic book story ever told. If you like the movie definitely read the book. The story is actually better in comic book form. Reading the words and then looking at the pictures makes it even iller. Alan Moore and David Gibbons said they were trying to show the power of the comic book with this book and they did.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Rorschach: I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

That quote there always has me like :whew: every time I read it.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
"I'm disappointed in you, Adrian. I'm very disappointed. Reassembling myself was the first trick I learned. It didn't kill Osterman. Did you really think it would kill me? :ufdup: I have walked across the surface of the sun. I have witnessed events so tiny and so fast, they could hardly be said to have occurred at all. But you, Adrian, you're just a man. The world's smartest man poses no more threat to me than does its smartest termite."....:wow:

Great flick, amongst my favorite comic book movies.