Watching Dredd (2012) again for the first time in years and....

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Do people who watch Dredd think that it portrays the Judgess/Cops as good people or heroes.? They’re not and it doesn’t. The only good cop is the psychic broad and her empathy is literally viewed as a weakness by the system.
Good question. I don't think it does, the Judges and the system is just as much of a problem.
You're spot on about the psychic chick, too.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Dope movie. I thought The Raid was the source material, but apparently both scripts were written the same time. Raid just went into production first. Should have had a sequel or Netflix series. Dredd would be amazing as a 1 hr weekly on Netflix or Prime
Dredd is a comic book.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Do people who watch Dredd think that it portrays the Judgess/Cops as good people or heroes.? They’re not and it doesn’t. The only good cop is the psychic broad and her empathy is literally viewed as a weakness by the system.
If you read the comics Dredd is just a tool of the system and he was genetically engineered to be that way. Judges imo by and a large are fascists. But Mega City One is also portrayed as an awful place. There is a story where Dredd kinda regrets his actions as a Judge after he's an old man. He raises this black girl who was an orphan and she wants to be like him. But he doesn't want her to.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Dredd is a comic book.

I meant for the film. If you watch The Raid and Dredd they are very similar. Working the way up a building where each floor has more and more bad guys. Obviously I know Dredd is a comic. I even went to see the shytty old one in theater when I was 12

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:leostare:
Good question. I don't think it does, the Judges and the system is just as much of a problem.
You're spot on about the psychic chick, too.

If you read the comics Dredd is just a tool of the system and he was genetically engineered to be that way. Judges imo by and a large are fascists. But Mega City One is also portrayed as an awful place. There is a story where Dredd kinda regrets his actions as a Judge after he's an old man. He raises this black girl who was an orphan and she wants to be like him. But he doesn't want her to.

Yeah, y’all are right. It’s why I’m laughing at anyone who thinks this is Cop propaganda or anything like it :martin:

Half the judges you meet in the movie are blatantly corrupt and murder innocent civilians, just like MaMa was doing. They’re straight up cautionary tales about the state of our world and how it’s progressing.

Dredd’s most heroic act in the movie was BYPASSING the system and passing the rookie psychic because of her ability to empathize even though, by code, she should have multiple times.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps

Dredd(2012) actually does portray Judges(cops) as positive in relation to fighting crime/criminals more than it villanizes Dredd imo

Asicz

Daps
Watched Dredd for the first time on Hulu recently.

One thing that stuck out to me ( Spoiler below)
I find somewhat noteworthy thatthe Black male criminal suspect not only a drug dealer but characterized as a sexually violent rapist of a white woman and castrated, even if in a mental visualiaztion

Asicz

Daps
Im a novice to the Sci Go genre in general although I did see the Judge Dredd from 1996 Sly Stalone and enjoyed it at the time.

I just got turned on to the CyperPunk genre from a guy being interviewed on Champagne Sharks Podcast (bloodknife.com)

So I plan on checking out related movies and podcast and video games etc.

Up Next hopefully is Blade Runner.

Asicz

Daps
I find feel like the world Dredd is in could really come to be in a 120 years from now smh.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dredd(2012) actually does portray Judges(cops) as positive in relation to fighting crime/criminals more than it villanizes Dredd imo

Straight up half of the judges you meet are straight up corrupt and working alongside MaMa.

Dredd has inklings of being relatively decent (Letting the vagrant at the door off with a warning, tazing the kids, and passing Andersen) but the psychic girl is the only one with any real empathy,

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watched Dredd for the first time on Hulu recently.

One thing that stuck out to me ( Spoiler below)
I find somewhat noteworthy thatthe Black male criminal suspect not only a drug dealer but characterized as a sexually violent rapist of a white woman and castrated, even if in a mental visualiaztion

Eh, Mama is shown castrating a dude during her rise to power and that entire gang was shown robbery full of sexually violent rapists when dealing with Andersen. MaMa has to threaten the lot of them to not rape and torture her.