Washington Post Special: Black homeowners in PG County have watched wealth vanish

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
After they gentrified DC, bammas started coming to PG. :manny:

I been in Fort Wash all my life but this article is right on the money.

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
When whites leave the area the value of your home goes with it unless you have an economic structure to prop up the value of your home.

Cacs leave,
Cacs revalue your property
Cacs come back and buy everything cheap
Cacs revalue their property
New prices guarantee you not coming back anytime soon

Cacs
Hmmm this isn't always true that's why pg county was different .

A lot of upper middle class folks reside here .

Take my parents they live in a black community includes golf course and all .

When the market crash that shyt fukked up the value of the community . Before the crash their all black neighborhood been thriving and white folks weren't living here .

It's been slowly creeping but not enough .

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
orr we can build up/take care of our own neighborhoods.

"worth" is subjective, and many times ya'll look at things thru the lense of ppl who hate you :ld:
True, but thats long term. You know folks ain't thinking long term like that, especially since before the housing bubble burst, folks were getting into
homes they could not afford, often hoping to flip them. When I speak of worth, im talking purely property value, and that goes beyond just the homes.
Local business. Landscaping. The infrastructure, etc. The unfortunate reality has been that when black-held (not specifically owned) property is worth the most
is when wealth is coming through to displace the black residents and gentrify the area.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Hmmm this isn't always true that's why pg county was different .

A lot of upper middle class folks reside here .

Take my parents they live in a black community includes golf course and all .

When the market crash that shyt fukked up the value of the community . Before the crash their all black neighborhood been thriving and white folks weren't living here .

It's been slowly creeping but not enough .
Who determines the value of the homes:usure:

Amerikan Melanin

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Predatory lending is the root issue. These banks went directly after blue collar families that int he long run they knew couldnt afford these homes. They gave them balloon mortgages that after 5-10 yrs or so the mortgage payments doubled or tripled and the homeowners were screwed. Everyone thought the housing market was going to keep going up for some reason.

Might be time to foreclose and start over. Instead of struggle and have nothing to show for it.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
my mother in law lives in PG and it looks like it's recovered somewhat from this. you do see a lot of foreclosures on real estate sites, but in my experience there were more in montgomery county than PG.

this same article could be written for immigrant families in montgomery county. they lived in wheaton, silver spring for cut rates and now you can't even rent a one bedroom for less than 1350 and that's rent control :wtf:

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
My house is work 80k to the good but it's because of amortization. We pay nearly 4K/month on our mortgage which started out at 290k in '09. We're at 150k left and will be done in 2020/2021. The value of our home dropped to 188k and is back up. Our neighbors both recently sold at 250k. The real reason for the fukkery are those initial prices of the homes are way over their actual value. We should have invested the 400 dollars in an independent home inspection/estimate in the beginning. No way a home drops nearly 33% in 16 months. Probably could have paid 240-250 then. Lesson learned

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
nope... my sister lived there and left for new york over a year ago...i don't know how much she loss on her house
Well Damn. I'm still debating with myself whether or not I should stay in the DMV. If I do I don't want to rent forever.
We're looking at houses in Beechtree and Canter Creek. Might make a move in the next 2 years. PG County for life
:blessed:
You've been here your whole life?

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
my mother in law lives in PG and it looks like it's recovered somewhat from this. you do see a lot of foreclosures on real estate sites, but in my experience there were more in montgomery county than PG.

this same article could be written for immigrant families in montgomery county. they lived in wheaton, silver spring for cut rates and now you can't even rent a one bedroom for less than 1350 and that's rent control :wtf:
you lying :dwillhuh: