Was the garbage Main Event of wrestlemania 2000 worth the GOAT payoff at Backlash 2000?

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
If they didn't make everything McMahon centric, then they could've had the same main event as Backlash. I get wanting to give Foley some shine too and a spot at Mania after all he had done and everything, but to me just a HHH/Rock main event would've sufficed. Maybe a triple threat or something would've been okay, or maybe Foley could main event Backlash against Rock with a face/face title match. Although I hate altering the timeline too much, considering how piff that era is minus a few PPVs.
word, yes mania could've and WOULD'VE been better but they effectively got 1.4 million buys out of the same storyline and if rock got the title whats their main the next month? Rock vs. HHH with austin as ref probably, or the same result, Rock vs. HHH with HBK as ref [and taker returns]

backlash 2000 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> judgement day 2000 even with taker returning

Love Sosa

Superstar
Daps
I didn't mind it at the time, seeing as how it meant Foley would be in the main event. Yes I was mad at HHH winning but that's because I hated him back then (everyone did).

Still don't mind it:yeshrug: WWF was awesome back then. Backlash gave us an awesome moment.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Kinda...

But I would argue 2000 was the peak of Vince's company and anything with either Rock or Austin was gonna pay off and do buys.

I dont see why Wrestlemania couldnt have been Rock's proper ascension as a babyface main eventer with him winning the belt over Triple H. It may seem too simple and maybe that was a tad too predictable but it just would have worked and the Triple H-Rock rivalry would have a definitive match on a grander stage to be remembered.
I don't think Vince was comfortable with hhh holding down the main event by himself. Rock was definitely big enough but hhh?

they saw that as a huge mania. wrestlemania 2000. probly wanted to go all out and deliver the biggest match they could. unfortunately by adding in foley and show they diluted it.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
While HHH was THE MAN in 2000, no. The payoff comes at Wrestlemania. Having said that? The pop when Rock won (and the pop the next night) was straight up :banderas:

So yeah, I guess it was worth it.

Also, :salute: to @Riley Escobar for mentioning that Scotty/Malenko match at Backlash. That top-rope DDT finish was bananas :damn:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Nah, WM 2000 should've been Dwayne's Wrestlemania moment. That exact same Backlash finish was what we all thought wanted to happen at WM anyway: Austin to return/interfere and Rock to walkout with the title... namely b/c Rock spent the better part of that year gettin his ass ganged up and beat down by a DX/McMahon screw job every week...

WM should've just been RockvsHHH but they could've still kept that same fatal four way crap, just as long as rock and hhh were the last ones left like they were, before enacting that same ending from backlash. That would've delivered the same pop and would've been an instant/all time WM moment. Always figured HHH didn't want to do the job on that scale (WM, Y2K, height of his rise, etc) and Rock was too nice a guy to force the issue.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
That's cause the product was on fire, nothing to do with WM2000
Backlash was huge cuz of it and the ratings showed a bigger spike

It was smart at the time since nobody ever saw a Heel win at maina