Was the garbage Main Event of wrestlemania 2000 worth the GOAT payoff at Backlash 2000?

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
So, I, and most people HATED the result of the main event of mania 2000 and even hated the 4 way going into it. in 2000, PPVs had a baseline of 400k buys

Wrestlemania 2000: 824,000
Backlash 2000: 675,000

as a business, backlash 2000 had a big spike because of the buildup where it was the LAST CHANCE rock could get the title, and the "WILL AUSTIN RETURN?!?!" story leading to the GOAT ENDING to a ppv damn near ever...

the entire main event was :banderas: status and the finish was :blessed: x 10...

Was it worth it? mania 2000 is a true stinker to most, with that memory, as a fan, and / or as a business was it worth it to get the payoff a month later?

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
I'll say it was worth it. I was also heated at the WM2000 finish, but after Backlash it helped erase any disappointment from Mania. It helped that the whole Backlash event was really really good and you only had to wait a month longer. If they had it extended it to KOTR or even SummerSlam, then nah. But what's a month.

EDIT: Also, it did make sure that the World Title match at future WrestleManias wasn't going to be 100% predictable with the face always going over. So it had that effect as well.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Kinda...

But I would argue 2000 was the peak of Vince's company and anything with either Rock or Austin was gonna pay off and do buys.

I dont see why Wrestlemania couldnt have been Rock's proper ascension as a babyface main eventer with him winning the belt over Triple H. It may seem too simple and maybe that was a tad too predictable but it just would have worked and the Triple H-Rock rivalry would have a definitive match on a grander stage to be remembered.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
No as a mark that shyt hurt in 2000 to end mania like that but business wise it was genius

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
If they didn't make everything McMahon centric, then they could've had the same main event as Backlash. I get wanting to give Foley some shine too and a spot at Mania after all he had done and everything, but to me just a HHH/Rock main event would've sufficed. Maybe a triple threat or something would've been okay, or maybe Foley could main event Backlash against Rock with a face/face title match. Although I hate altering the timeline too much, considering how piff that era is minus a few PPVs.

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
STONE COLD KICKED CORPORATE ASS

Damn JR was calling shyt on another level back then :mjcry:
I was randomly watching the Raw episode when ECW/WCW joined forces with Heyman, Shane and then Steph and he ended the show screaming something about the sins of the father have costed us all.

I was just like damn :wow: