Was Mass Effect 3 The Biggest Missed Layup In Gaming History? (Spoilers)

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Great combat, great graphics, great story, and then the ending happened:francis:. There was no reason to kill off Shepard and the reasoning + execution was also ridiculous. If you picked destroy then couldn't Joker just pick up Shepard and have him fire his gun from the Normandy? If they hadn't fukked up ME3 so bad then Andromeda(decent after the patches) wouldn't have gotten so much hate.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Ending was fine for me. But i played it a couple years later

3 is still the best overall game in the series
I think 2 is the best in the series, and I don't understand why it took them 3 games to finally get unlimited sprinting.
Killing off shepard is whatever. They introduced a catalyst out of nowhere that just makes every decision you made null and void. Every ending was the same more or less good guys win but live in peace with the enemy or kill them off.
I felt like there should've been 3 endings.

Ending 1: Paragon with high war assets would be Shepard surviving and retired with their love interest.

Ending 2: Renegade would have you sacrifice yourself to save the galaxy.

Ending 3: Low assets lead to the galaxy being destroyed.

It seemed like Bioware just wanted to move on from Shepard which is fine, but they did it in the worst way possible. Honestly ME2 should've probably been the end of the series. Now we're going to have to wait until 2024 at the earliest to see what happened to the Normandy crew.

Tha Gawd Amen

Mamba Mentality
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
I think 2 is the best in the series, and I don't understand why it took them 3 games to finally get unlimited sprinting.

I felt like there should've been 3 endings.

Ending 1: Paragon with high war assets would be Shepard surviving and retired with their love interest.

Ending 2: Renegade would have you sacrifice yourself to save the galaxy.

Ending 3: Low assets lead to the galaxy being destroyed.

It seemed like Bioware just wanted to move on from Shepard which is fine, but they did it in the worst way possible. Honestly ME2 should've probably been the end of the series. Now we're going to have to wait until 2024 at the earliest to see what happened to the Normandy crew.
suggestions are so simple that anyone could've done these yet they went with that bullshyt. You're right they missed a fukking lay-up compared to whatever they did. ME2 ending with the suicide mission would've been dope though. But I've buried ME. Andromeda was meh to me. Crew outside of Pheobe was trash and the main antagonist weren't memorable at all.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Great combat, great graphics, great story, and then the ending happened:francis:. There was no reason to kill off Shepard and the reasoning + execution was also ridiculous. If you picked destroy then couldn't Joker just pick up Shepard and have him fire his gun from the Normandy? If they hadn't fukked up ME3 so bad then Andromeda(decent after the patches) wouldn't have gotten so much hate.
The ending was overblown looking back on it. Mass Effect 3 was arguably the best game in the series. The whole game was a giant send off.
The game was filled with moments like this.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
suggestions are so simple that anyone could've done these yet they went with that bullshyt. You're right they missed a fukking lay-up compared to whatever they did. ME2 ending with the suicide mission would've been dope though. But I've buried ME. Andromeda was meh to me. Crew outside of Pheobe was trash and the main antagonist weren't memorable at all.
If the suicide mission tied to the Reapers then that would've been perfect. Have the crucible be the Collector base, and blowing that up effectively destroys the Reapers. Andromeda was a good game imo, the combat and finally having a jump button was great. Also Bioware realized how much they fukked up the ME3 ending, so they made sure to give Andromeda a happy one.
The ending was overblown looking back on it. Mass Effect 3 was arguably the best game in the series. The whole game was a giant send off.
The game was filled with moments like this.

The problem with the ending is that people connected with the characters, so Shepard dying was like a punch in the gut. It's like the ending isn't as bad if you let everyone die in ME2, since then you wouldn't have a connection to any of the replacements.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
If the suicide mission tied to the Reapers then that would've been perfect. Have the crucible be the Collector base, and blowing that up effectively destroys the Reapers. Andromeda was a good game imo, the combat and finally having a jump button was great. Also Bioware realized how much they fukked up the ME3 ending, so they made sure to give Andromeda a happy one.

The problem with the ending is that people connected with the characters, so Shepard dying was like a punch in the gut. It's like the ending isn't as bad if you let everyone die in ME2, since then you wouldn't have a connection to any of the replacements.
Brokering peace between the Geth and Quarians, the whole game up until those final moments was amazing. The way the game addresses all the main characters ongoing plot threads was good. Jacob kinda got screwed but whatever. How Jack's character was handled. Just looking back on the game I have more positive memories than that dumb ending. I was mad at the time but I've long since let it go.

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
Game lost me very early on when it became apparent we weren't gonna click up with everybody immediately and they're still asking for favors and shyt after 2 games. I thought we were gonna go planet to planet whooping ass and taking Ls but putting up a fight.

I didn't even finish it.

That MP though. My god :banderas::wow::blessed:

Still got my moneys worth

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Killing off shepard is whatever. They introduced a catalyst out of nowhere that just makes every decision you made null and void. Every ending was the same more or less good guys win but live in peace with the enemy or kill them off.
This is correct. Could care less if Shepard died, but don't hype up the choices of the trilogy and reveal it was all for nothing.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Not a fan of the endings and I'm not one to advocate for the death of every protagonist in epic series' as its cliché at this point, but for my canon playthrough, Shepard surviving and growing of old age just doesn't feel right. They spent three entries attempting to unite the galaxy against the Reaper threat. I've always felt that emotionally, it would have been more poignant and impactful if he/she had died shortly after the beam rush and their effectiveness at uniting the races affected the ending that played out with all your decisions culminating into a 15 minute epic.

His death either gives the various races the gut punch and Valor to honor his sacrifice together as one, or it all ends with the splintered galaxy suffering from abject failure due to morale and a lack of commital to one another, or casualties but victory at varying costs depending on Shepard's choices. Shep is essentially almost like a Christ figure and they go out of their way to portray their as a status as such. I think Shepard's legacy is even more meaningful and impactful in death for the future of the ME universe than it is with him/her breathing.

Last edited: