Was Family Matters One of the Worst Acted Sitcoms in History?

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ayo...imma let you finish...

...but if exchanged everybody on Family Matters with white people and kept the same scripts, it would've been seamless. Family Matters was created, written, and produced by white folks and you can tell if you sit there and watch an ep.

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

So? Why do people think Black characters aren't "Black" or "could be really white" if they don't act a certain way? Their identities do not and should not have to revolve around their race.

Many of the plotlines, minor characters (Rachel, Harriett, Maxine, Waldo, Weasal, Stefan, 3J, etc) and dialogs could not be said by white people. Lets not act like Family Matters never acknowledged race either (Laura campaigning for Black History at school, Eddie being racially profiled, etc).

Postfork

Rookie
Daps
So? Why do people think Black characters aren't "Black" or "could be really white" if they don't act a certain way? Their identities do not and should not have to revolve around their race.

And many plotlines, minor characters and dialogs could not be said by white people. Lets not act like Family Matters never acknowledged race either (Laura campaigning for Black History at school, Eddie being racially profiled, etc).

5PcUvxx.jpg

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness

So...you were acting like Urkel being a hit was a triumph for black folks or something. I don't see it.

Many of the plotlines, minor characters (Rachel, Harriett, Maxine, Waldo, Weasal, Stefan, 3J, etc) and dialogs could not be said by white people. Lets not act like Family Matters never acknowledged race either (Laura campaigning for Black History at school, Eddie being racially profiled, etc).

I'll give you Waldo, Weasel, Harriett, and 3J...but not the rest. The others' lines could've been delivered by white folks also. I'm being generous with Waldo, because of "coo'".

And nobody was acting like "Family Matters never acknowledged race". They did. But they were doing it the best they could from their point of view. Even per your examples:

1) Laura campaigning for Black History - white people could write for that, that's not hard.

2) Eddie being racially profiled - c'mon cuzz. A black teenager in the inner-city in the 90s tells his father he's been racially profiled, and his father doesn't believe him?? Really? And it definitely helped that Carl was a cop and got to handle it civilly in-house. If Carl wasn't a cop, there's no way they would've done that episode.

There are a few other episodes where (again) you could plainly tell they were written by white people. Again - not that that's a crime. It just was what it was.

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Re: Laura
Don't think Laura would have the N word sprayed on her locker if she were white.

How many of the main writers were white? I googled, but half of them don't have pictures. Apparently Reginald VelJohnson had written episodes himself.

So...you were acting like Urkel being a hit was a triumph for black folks or something. I don't see it.

I'll give you Waldo, Weasel, Harriett, and 3J...but not the rest. The others' lines could've been delivered by white folks also. I'm being generous with Waldo, because of "coo'".

And nobody was acting like "Family Matters never acknowledged race". They did. But they were doing it the best they could from their point of view. Even per your examples:

Because he was smart! He's easily by far the most well known geek in pop culture.

And isn't that 4 characters right there though? :yeshrug:

Eddie: Waldo?
Waldo: Wassup.

Come on now. :whoa:

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol, shows like sister sister, hangin with mr.coopet, family matters, smart guy, moesha, etc suck.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
I remember a Family Matters thread on :hamster: where some nikka was complaining about how every time Harriet walked downstairs in a dress, the audience would go "whoooooo!!!!" like she was fine all of a sudden.....nikka said each time they did that, he was like ":gag: bytch, take your ass back upstairs"

shyt had me :dead:

Personally, I would say it was more like seasons 3-7. I think season 2 was where it just started to pick up, while you could start to see that they were running it to the ground by season 7 even though there were still some good episodes by then

Seasons 1 & 2 were just flat-out wack and unfunny (like a lot of sitcoms around that time) with the exception of Urkel, who was a breath of fresh air among a group of mediocre-as-hell characters....and even then, he didn't start to really be entertaining/funny up until season 3.....before then, I think people just liked him because his character was so unique and loveable in a weird kind of way.....remember, Urkel started out as just a weak, sniveling, clumsy genius kid who chased after Laura, not so much a funny kid with one-liners, epic destruction of property and crazy inventions that helped to put him over

The last 2 seasons were wack because they did too much with the sci-fi shyt with Urkel's inventions (pirate fights, teleporting to Paris, cloning, reading minds, etc). They had a lot of corny, almost non-canonical episodes by this time (Valentines and Halloween 'Stevil' episodes). Also, by that time, nobody cared about the other characters anymore, and only BARELY still cared about Steve

But nearly everything in between was fukking CLASSIC and had funny side characters (Waldo, Weasel, Myra, Lt. Murtagh, etc.)....and that's why I can't agree with nikkas saying it was a WOAT sitcom. It was far from the worst overall, even when it fell off......although I guess it's easy to shyt on a sitcom that has someone like Urkel as its star

I won't argue that. That actually sounds about right. If they started at the end of 2 and went thru the end of 7, it would be a top 10 black sitcom contender. Gets a rep worse than it deserves because the last couple of years. And that CBS season :snoop:

Even through all the bullshyt, it still deserved a series finale though :birdman: