Walking simulators :camby:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Dafukk you talking about?

Bioshock was the OG walking simulator.

It did what these games claim to do, but there was also a game to play and a story of your own to play through.

If a game is gonna totaly remove interactivity, then it at the very least must beat bioshock in the "walk around and take in the story" aspects.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bioshock was the OG walking simulator.

It did what these games claim to do, but there was also a game to play and a story of your own to play through.

If a game is gonna totaly remove interactivity, then it at the very least must beat bioshock in the "walk around and take in the story" aspects.
Bioshock a fps to me. I don't see the correlation.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Bioshock a fps to me. I don't see the correlation.

What do "walking simulators" do?

They are big on atmosphere, you walk around and take in the story through radios, audio recordings, notes, exposition from NPCs, ect.

Correct me if I'm wrong but bioshock was the first game to do this. And it did it really well. Take out the shooty bits and Bioshock is the goat "walking sim"

These new games take take that formula, and strip out EVERYTHING else. So if a game is gonna sacrifice gameplay. The story, atmosphere, immersfulness(I know not a real word) need to be phenomenal.

As it stand devs are using this genre as a cheap and easy way to make a game and get good scores. Instead of really making those things special.

Watch the Jim sterling video, he does a good job of explaining it.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What do "walking simulators" do?

They are big on atmosphere, you walk around and take in the story through radios, audio recordings, notes, exposition from NPCs, ect.

Correct me if I'm wrong but bioshock was the first game to do this. And it did it really well. Take out the shooty bits and Bioshock is the goat "walking sim"

These new games take take that formula, and strip out EVERYTHING else. So if a game is gonna sacrifice gameplay. The story, atmosphere, immersfulness(I know not a real word) need to be phenomenal.

As it stand devs are using this genre as a cheap and easy way to make a game and get good scores. Instead of really making those things special.

Watch the Jim sterling video, he does a good job of explaining it.
More power to them. If that's what they want to do so be it. I see no problem.
Its special to some people. You dudes sound like you're afraid traditional games will omit typical gameplay mechanics for this.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
More power to them. If that's what they want to do so be it. I see no problem.
Its special to some people. You dudes sound like you're afraid traditional games will omit typical gameplay mechanics for this.
Like I said I don't care that the games are made. But when they are being voted GOTY and siting on metacrtic higher than games in which the devs put a lot more into it, then I think they should be called out. No way EGTTR should be getting 9s and 10s with the order getting 6 and 7s

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like I said I don't care that the games are made. But when they are being voted GOTY and siting on metacrtic higher than games in which the devs put a lot more into it, then I think they should be called out. No way EGTTR should be getting 9s and 10s with the order getting 6 and 7s
Unrelated games.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I just bought that ps4 walking simulator, Everybody's gone to the Rapture. We'll see what's up. I like a good story, so I don't mind if there is minimal game play. The genre is not for everybody though, but I like some of these types of games. Sometimes you just want a good story :manny:

"Her Story" is a good example. All you do is type in words into a search engine; that's it (for real). But the story held the game together. It was worth the money.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
sometimes I wish the Telltales games didn't involve walking around and looking at stuff. just let me sit back, make decisions, and enjoy the story

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This isn't new. And the reason games are unique in telling stories is that the player has interactivity with the story.

In these games the player does not.

It's not new but it's a relatively unexplored genre when it comes to gaming. Something like the Stanley Parable or Journey is probably one of the most inventive games of all time.

I don't see what the big damn deal is. It's like every other genre. There are good and bad games in it.

babylon1

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm worried that no man's sky is going to be a walking simulator more than an acdtual space exploration game