Walking simulators :camby:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Devs can kick rocks with this genre.:camby:

I personally enjoy some games that people consider "interactive movies" stuff like The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, and some of the old point and click games. All very enjoyable experiences. Although they didn't have what would be considered traditional "gameplay" they had puzzles, and interactive bits that made them fun and engaging.

Lately devs have thrown out the "interactive" part and just putting out games where you walk from beginning to end just to be told a nonsensical story. The hype seems to have started with "Gone Home" but at least that game had some interactivity.

Now we've made it to Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, and Beyond Eyes. Two games that were hyped up by platform holders as the next great thing to come out. And both are super boring non interactive, walk down the path till the story ends, shyty excuses for "games".

I hope this genre goes away quick. Its the epitome of some lazy unispired shyt disguised as "art"

Strike-Wun

Lion-O Ritchie
Supporter
Daps
Yea, I watched some videos on Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.... couldn't get jiggy to that shyt
:camby:

I do notice the trend of calling these games "art", but Journey is more in the lines of art to me

Some people called PT a walking simulator too... to those people i say :pacspit:

• Dap
Reactions: Ns

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
I've been saying this for a while. Everyone acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. :wtb: There's no skill required for some of these games. Just walking from person to person, choosing options like those old books they had where you choose an option for the story's character, and it tells you what page to go to next for each option? Walking and chatting. I don't really consider those 'games'. Outside of kids, they're best suited for people who are a combo of non-athlete and non-gamer. That's fine, there should be something for everyone, I just don't understand the appeal to people who usually actually play games.

Breh13

Smh.
Supporter
Daps
It's alright to be honest, just have to be in the mood for some story. Most of the time though I just drop it after a hour or 2.

Daps
I really like EGTTR, it's an artistic piece of storytelling, not so much a game, but a world to be observed and a story to explore, like a virtual book.

To me, it's much more enjoyable than the Telltale games, but I don't know if i`d want a lot of experiences like GTTR, it's a nice change of pace though

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Eh they're not my jam, I played proteus (I think egttr devs made that ) and it was super boring. I get why someone might like that but they're not for me.
Point and click adventure or interactive story like tell tale games or life is strange is different though

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
If you don't like them, don't play them. :manny:

You can debate endlessly about whether these type of games should be classified as 'games' or not but at the end of the day that doesn't change the fact there's an audience for them.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Everyone's gone to the rapture is dope af and its also only a 20$ game. I play single player games for the STORY alone. I treat it like a cinematic experience, as I play counter-strike competitively on a high level. Some of you all are looking for gameplay, I'm just looking for an interesting story and presentation of that story.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
There's room for more than just traditional gameplay. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Just like if you don't enjoy arthouse cinema.

Gamers bytch and moan about gaming not being treated as art, but why should it if we limit it's boundaries to such a narrow degree?

Dr.HannibalLecter

Tha Realest
Daps
Devs can kick rocks with this genre.:camby:

I personally enjoy some games that people consider "interactive movies" stuff like The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain, and some of the old point and click games. All very enjoyable experiences. Although they didn't have what would be considered traditional "gameplay" they had puzzles, and interactive bits that made them fun and engaging.

Lately devs have thrown out the "interactive" part and just putting out games where you walk from beginning to end just to be told a nonsensical story. The hype seems to have started with "Gone Home" but at least that game had some interactivity.

Now we've made it to Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, and Beyond Eyes. Two games that were hyped up by platform holders as the next great thing to come out. And both are super boring non interactive, walk down the path till the story ends, shyty excuses for "games".

I hope this genre goes away quick. Its the epitome of some lazy unispired shyt disguised as "art"

Platinumed Everybody's Gone To The Rapture and 100%ed The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter :umad:

Can't wait for the next Walking simulator :blessed:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Everyone's gone to the rapture is dope af and its also only a 20$ game. I play single player games for the STORY alone. I treat it like a cinematic experience, as I play counter-strike competitively on a high level. Some of you all are looking for gameplay, I'm just looking for an interesting story and presentation of that story.
The thing is, some games do the interesting story/presentation AND they give you interesting gameplay.

I look at bioshock it was a better "walking simulator" than any of these games AND it has great gameplay.

There's room for more than just traditional gameplay. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Just like if you don't enjoy arthouse cinema.

Gamers bytch and moan about gaming not being treated as art, but why should it if we limit it's boundaries to such a narrow degree?
If removing gameplay/interactivity is the only way to make games "art" then I'll pass :camby:

Platinumed Everybody's Gone To The Rapture and 100%ed The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter :umad:

Can't wait for the next Walking simulator :blessed:
At least Ethan carter had some puzzles and interactivity. In Egttr and beyond eyes you can't even pick anything up and manipulate the world. You literally just walk as the story is told to you:scust:

Last edited: