Wait so Soccer can actually end in a tie? :scusthov:

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Football and hockey both have ties. I'm sure other sports can have them also. There's gotta be an innings cap in baseball.

Nah breh the NHL and IIHF both took out ties and replaced them with OT wins (which count as the same # of points in the NHL and 2 instead of 3 in the IIHF world championships) and OT losses (1 point instead of 2 in the NHL and 1 instead of 3 at the IIHF WC)

The no fukks given attitude in the OT periods has fans eating well :whoo:

tumblr_lzaxcfrtTb1qa3nkxo1_500.gif

ShoGun Of Harlem

All Star
Daps
:mjlol: dumb ass fukkin arguments to defend a gay ass sport.

No, the simple solution is you do a shootout. Trust me the last thing anyone wants to see is another 30 minutes of these malnourished fakkits running around. Just do a quick shootout and its a wrap. Why people try to defend this tying bullshyt is just beyond me. And "you don't get it, neg, dap/undap" isn't a convincing argument so please come with something stronger.

Fact is, all these "they only tie because it's a pool play game" are bullshyt. Ya'll nikkas talking like these are pre-season games that don't really mean anything. If that's the case when why even call it the WORLD CUP? Get these meaningless games out of the way earlier, and don't call it the World Cup until the games actually mean something. All these points and shyt are exactly why this sport is fukking stupid, because FIFA or whoever has somehow concocted a system where YOU CAN GET POINTS FOR NOT WINNING. There is no advantage to tying in the NFL. I guess in theory the tie is better than the loss, but you certainly don't get any "points" or advantage for tying.
So basically your argument is "I don't get how the world cup works therefore i'm offended by it and it's stupid"

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Nah breh the NHL and IIHF both took out ties and replaced them with OT wins (which count as the same # of points in the NHL and 2 instead of 3 in the IIHF world championships) and OT losses (1 point instead of 2 in the NHL and 1 instead of 3 at the IIHF WC)

The no fukks given attitude in the OT periods has fans eating well :whoo:

tumblr_lzaxcfrtTb1qa3nkxo1_500.gif
yeah y'all right. It's an overtime loss now for a point. They still do shootouts?

BAMBA

The Menace
Supporter
Daps
ridiculous comparison. This is the World Cup, the "Superbowl" or "Playoffs" of Soccer. So the actual comparison would be, in the playoffs of ANY SPORT could you ever see a scenario where a team purposely doesn't try to win? Where that strategy would ever even be considered for a second?

Did you hurt your back moving that goal post breh?

:mjlol:

Beerus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
PC BRO #LWO
I fell asleep last world cup finals.
nikka :camby: soccer can fukk off.
Gimme Football all day(NFL nikka not that bullshyt yall poor nikkas have the nerve to call football :ahh:)

Beerus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
PC BRO #LWO
It's known as Football around the world, only in America is it trully called Soccer to distinguish it from American football
fukk the rest of the world then :pacspit:
They all owe their lives to fukking America, fukk these mothafukkas, they lost an entire continent and think they can call their crapp football?
:mjlol: fukk nah nikka call this shyt soccer :pacspit:

Juven

All Star
Daps
literally billions of people follow soccer worldwide....it is the biggest sport in the entire world....

but nikkas on the coli say its trash....
Nah its big because its cheap to play and easy to follow. Its not the most watched because its the best sport. Its a good sport but not on basketball/football level

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
complete-march-madness-bracket-2014.png

This is how the world cup should be played. all elimination matchesm winner advances, loser goes home, no bullshyt. no mercy....

detroit devil 3

All Star
Daps
Yeah, teams playing "just for that point" could make for a drab watch to the neutrals and even hardcore fans (NO ONE wants to see a team in top-class level using 11 defenders and zero attackers i.e. Chelsea's MO against better teams, Iranians V Argentina) but usually it works itself out once there's been a goal; and there's a good chance a team with that kind of backward ass mentality will concede at some point (see: Chelsea and Iran)

Once the team going for just a point concedes, because rarely would they be the ones scoring first, and they now have to score to get that point, the game is blown open and that's really just part of the beauty of the game: how a team's mindset can change in seconds and they go from wanting a draw and being ultadefensive to realizing it would actually be much easier just to win it and actually attacking.

See also: Italy

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
since this is a hater thread, i will use this to discuss my one beef...the fukk ESPN took over all it's radio stations (national and city) playing world cup games. you know we don't care about soccer that fukking much, yea the viewership is up as people pretend to care, but watching soccer is a whole world different than listening to a game being called on the radio. the fukk can you say that tells us average listeners what the fukk is happening on the field. put SVP back on fukk boys.

Daps
It's known as Football around the world, only in America is it trully called Soccer to distinguish it from American football

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/real-reason-americans-call-soccer-183000375.html

The Real Reason Americans Call It 'Soccer' Is All England's Fault

While calling the world's most popular sport "soccer" is typically depicted as a symbol of American ignorance, the reason we don't call it "football" like the rest of the world is Britain's fault.

The word "soccer" is a British invention that British people stopped using only about 30 years ago, according to a new paper by University of Michigan professor Stefan Szymanski.

The word "soccer" comes from the use of the term "association football" in Britain and goes back 200 years.

In the early 1800s, a bunch of British universities took "football" — a medieval game — and started playing their own versions of it, all under different rules. To standardize things across the country, these games were categorized under different organizations with different names.

One variant of the game you played with your hands became "rugby football." Another variant came to be known as "association football" after the Football Association formed to promote the game in 1863, 15 years after the rules were made at Cambridge.

"Rugby football" became "rugger" for short. "Association football" became "soccer."

After these two sports spread across the Atlantic, Americans invented their own variant of the game that they simply called "football" in the early 1900s.

"Association football" became "soccer" in America, and what was called "gridiron" in Britain became simply "football" in America.

The interesting thing here is that Brits still used "soccer" regularly for a huge chunk of the 20th century. Between 1960 and 1980, "soccer" and "football" were "almost interchangeable" in Britain, Szymanski found.

Then everything changed (via Szymanski):

"Since 1980 the usage of the word 'soccer' has declined in British publications, and where it is used, it usually refers to an American context. This decline seems to be a reaction against the increased usage in the US which seems to be associated with the highpoint of the NASL around 1980."

British people stopped saying "soccer" because of its American connotations.

So, no, it's not wrong to call it "soccer" if you're American.