Vol 2. Hard Knock Life. 25 Years Later

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Vol. 2 was for sure the blueprint/metric for major label efforts and debuts from the next generation of NYC rappers

Fab and Jada's debut and to a degree Joe Budden follow that exact formula, going into the mid 2000's, a lot of that material was really badly dated and lackluster, esp. now. alot of those albums suffered for it, became formulaic and predictable, didn't have the impact and focus that Jay's did.

Fab's is the worst. For all the criticism Jay gets, he changed up his formula time and time again.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Vol. 2 was for sure the blueprint/metric for major label efforts and debuts from the next generation of NYC rappers

Fab and Jada's debut and to a degree Joe Budden follow that exact formula, going into the mid 2000's, a lot of that material was really badly dated and lackluster, esp. now. alot of those albums suffered for it, became formulaic and predictable, didn't have the impact and focus that Jay's did.

Fab's is the worst. For all the criticism Jay gets, he changed up his formula time and time again.
I think that's one of the reasons he outlasted most of his peers.

Although I think Vol 3 is a more commercial attempt with the Vol 2 formula

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Would argue that even established artists like Fat Joe jumped on that style/formula, likely under guidance from label execs

AZ is another one

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Vol. 3 absolutely barely changed the formula, bot nothing really worked as well, outside of Big Pimpin, that wasn't a singles album it was an attempt to keep the momentum, and capitalize from it

and the more shameless attempt to double down, Anything, though that never made the official album, it should have

Jigga My nikka is another example, taking Money Cash Hoes, a step further

but Dynasty he pivoted. way more directly emotionally tracks and lyrics, way too much bad West Coast production, but added the soul samples and more experimental stuff with Blaze and Kanye, who were not featured on any of the Vol. albums.

the actual album structure and tracklists track pretty closely for both Vol 2 and Vol. 3, even Vol. 1.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Vol. 3 absolutely barely changed the formula, bot nothing really worked as well, outside of Big Pimpin, that wasn't a singles album it was an attempt to keep the momentum, and capitalize from it

and the more shameless attempt to double down, Anything, though that never made the official album, it should have

Jigga My nikka is another example, taking Money Cash Hoes, a step further

but Dynasty he pivoted. way more directly emotionally tracks and lyrics, way too much bad West Coast production, but added the soul samples and more experimental stuff with Blaze and Kanye, who were not featured on any of the Vol. albums.

the actual album structure and tracklists track pretty closely for both Vol 2 and Vol. 3, even Vol. 1.
What was the first single from Vol 3? I'm drawing a blank

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
What was the first single from Vol 3? I'm drawing a blank

Anything

4 Da Fam

maybe even Is That Yo bytch

were both considered, but late the in 1999, after bootlegging, they went with Do it Again, a Rockwilder helmed track that wasn't as catchy as anything else, but featured a call and response hook, and a Beanie Sigel verse to hook the streets.

it was a hail mary to get the album out in time for Christmas 1999

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anything

4 Da Fam

were both considered, but late the in 1999, after bootlegging, they went with Do it Again, a Rockwilder helmed track that wasn't as catchy as anything else, but featured a call and response hook, and a Beanie Sigel verse to hook the streets.
Do It Again yup
That shyt was a banger
Hov went off
With all that being said that was an odd choice for a first single

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
easily my least favorite Jay-z album.

with that being said, the day Vol.2 was released, 29th of September, was the biggest hophop release date ever. I still remember the feeling of buying Vol.2, aquemini , the love moevment and Blackstar albums from the record store that day.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
easily my least favorite Jay-z album.

with that being said, the day Vol.2 was released, 29th of September, was the biggest hophop release date ever. I still remember the feeling of buying Vol.2, aquemini , the love moevment and Blackstar albums from the record store that day.
I thought The Love Movement was going to biggest album out of that list because everyone at school was talking about Tribe's break up

Well little did I know

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Large niccas told me park the car, keep the keys, find a hoordat and creep to Mickey D's"

:fire:

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
Gotta be honest, big Hov fan but I might be the biggest Vol 2 hater on the planet

Daps
It was ok album at the time, I was listening to other albums way more in 98

Like Cappadonna pillage, Onyx shut em down, DMX it's dark and hells hot, Do or Die headz or Tailz, Killarmy dirty weaponry, RZA bobby digital, Wu Tang the swarm, Killah Priest heavy mental.