FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Vince Staples Time Interview - XXL

Time caught up with Long Beach rapper Vince Staples recently to talk musical tastes and influences. In a video interview, Staples dismisses the notion that the ’90s had the greatest music, noting that he’s never listened to an album by *NSYNC, the Backstreet Boys or the Spice Girls.

“The ’90s get a lot of credit, I don’t really know why,” Staples said. “Biggie and 2 Pac, those are the staples of the ’90s, I think that’s why they get the golden era credit.”

Vince then went on to champion early 2000s-era rap, citing the emergence of 50 Cent and Kanye West as well as the ascension of Jay Z and an unlikely first rap memory.

“The first song I remember listening to is Lil Bow Wow’s ‘Bounce with Me.’ Lil Bow Wow is one of my favorite rappers ever, you can never take that from me.”

Perhaps a mission statement of sorts, Vince also celebrated artists like the Rolling Stones who could never be replaced and thus remain relevant today.

“When there’s a replacement for something, it will always go away.” Staples noted. “In hop hop we have a habit of copying each other, we pretend to be something that were not. I’m lucky enough to be from a place that’s diverse enough that everybody mixed up in the pot.”

Staples ended the video interview meditating on the concept of authenticity and realness.

“What’s real?” he asked. “Real meaning urban and aggressive, is that what we mean by real? Your life is your life, no matter what that is I think that should be what your music is about, your outlook on life.”

The full interview can be streamed here.

Read More: Vince Staples Time Interview - XXL | Vince Staples Time Interview - XXL

SMH

Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
I wouldn't say it's overrated but u can't expect people who grew up in a certain era to blindly dikkride and praise a prior era they didn't grow up experiencing because mainstream hip hop publication propaganda:mjpls:

The bow wow shyt was prolly trolling as he usually does but it does have truth to it, every little kid wanted to be like bow wow in like 2001 until 50 cent came out and gave us that aggressive content and corrupted our childhoods:wow: u can shyt on him all u want for being a fukkboy adult but at one point lil bow wow was that nikka

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I wouldn't say it's overrated but u can't expect people who grew up in a certain era to blindly dikkride and praise a prior era they didn't grow up experiencing because mainstream hip hop publication propaganda:mjpls:
I'm trying to figure out how a nikka that clearly knows nothing about the 90s say it's overrated?

That's like me saying the 70s music is overrated or early 80s music is overrated when I didn't experience it or even know much about it.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Be disrespectful to the ground work laid before you that afford you the opportunities you have now brehs....

These young nikkas say the dumbest things.

the Snoops, Wu's, Outkasts, etc didnt have to say the prior era was overrated to garner the spotlight. They made classic music and were embraced by the fans. If he and other rappers of this generation did the same they too would be embraced.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

But on the same token, a person that didn't grow up in the era also holds no credibility in trying to say it's overrated, because they didn't experience it and are purely speaking in hindsight.