“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

Lucha Vandross

Rhythm & High Spots
Daps
Here’s a thought topic for everyone to see where ya’ll think this team really is, it’s based on no rumors, and completely hypothetical.

If the Net said “give us 6 first round picks for Mikal Bridges, 3 of them yours, unprotected” do you think the Knicks should do it? The players for salary purpose is Fournier and filler.

Would lower that down to 2, MAYBE 3 picks at the most.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
These cats basketball takes should not be taken seriously anymore...
I thought yall wanted a consistent 20 point scorer? :patrice:

I’m on record saying I’d give 5 picks up for him and that was before the OG trade. Mikal makes us legit contenders with an ELITE defense. You literally couldn't build a better team around Jalen.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Can he play the two? How long would the adjustment take?

With that said, he's been very unmotivated in Brooklyn this season

The Nets player from last year could very well help win a ring
He can play the two. There’d be zero adjustment. You have built in chemistry with his Villanova teammates, he’s a guy who is way more suited to comfortably play off ball and hit wide open shots while guarding the teams second best defensive player every night.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Him and OG would be insane, especially having Mitch back. Our defense would be elite and Brunson would damn near have free range to focus purely on scoring on most nights.

He sends DDV to 6th man which fortifies our bench.

He's immediate chemistry with Brunson and Hart.

He'd be the reliable 3rd behind Brunson and Randle.

You're talking value for value in the open market vs. what his value does for the Knicks organization that doesn't draft/develop players like that and wants picks to use as assets for a trade just like this.

Bridges would be perfect on this roster, on this coached team, that is rallying behind Brunson and Randle as the stars.

3 of our own unprotected picks that would be in the 20s and 3 of our trash picks and Fournier to solidify this team as a contender and maximize a Thibs roster?

I'd do it for 7 picks. 8. We not using them otherwise and we're not getting Jokic caliber for them. So double down and build the team you believe in. 🤷🏾‍♂️
You know ball.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Him and OG would be insane, especially having Mitch back. Our defense would be elite and Brunson would damn near have free range to focus purely on scoring on most nights.

He sends DDV to 6th man which fortifies our bench.

He's immediate chemistry with Brunson and Hart.

He'd be the reliable 3rd behind Brunson and Randle.

You're talking value for value in the open market vs. what his value does for the Knicks organization that doesn't draft/develop players like that and wants picks to use as assets for a trade just like this.

Bridges would be perfect on this roster, on this coached team, that is rallying behind Brunson and Randle as the stars.

3 of our own unprotected picks that would be in the 20s and 3 of our trash picks and Fournier to solidify this team as a contender and maximize a Thibs roster?

I'd do it for 7 picks. 8. We not using them otherwise and we're not getting Jokic caliber for them. So double down and build the team you believe in. 🤷🏾‍♂️

We’d still have picks to play with anyway. At worst it’s what? The Detroit pick, the Washington pick and the Mavs pick plus our picks in 25, 27 and 29? We’d still have our 24, the Bucks 25, our 26, 28 and 30 picks. Plus a rack of second rounders.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
im starting to realize this lol
Some of these dudes are happy with having a worse team if it means they are right about a player lol
Yall keep acting like we’re not making basketball arguments and it’s annoying. The way we’re playing right now is a style of basketball that i really enjoy and I’m not changing that for a player that isn’t worth changing that, to me. Adding a player as good as Devin Booker or Donovan Mitchell for instance, changes how we’d play but they’re worth it and that new style probably makes us better overall. Changing this really good basketball we’re playing for Murray just isn’t worth it.

Conversely, I think Mikal Bridges would fit seamlessly into what we’ve been doing. Swapping him in for Donte in the starting lineup gives us a bigger wing to harass guys on the perimeter and also gives us more defensive switch ability as Mikal can guard 4 positions on the floor on most nights. It lets Donte go to the bench and you probably can tweak the rotation a bit and have Randle run with the second unit without giving up much size with the first unit.

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
This makes no sense. Yall willing to give up all your future assets for Mikal Bridges???

I'm willing to give up the necessary assets for the right piece to move the team forward.

"All" is a relative statement when you can buy those assets as easily as you trade them. "All" is an exaggeration when the Knicks have punted on draft picks or traded their last 3 first round draft picks and have another one of them on the trade block in Grimes.

You're looking at the assets in general terms and not how this organization clearly views them, or the context of what those picks would actually be if we moved them. 6 or 7 draft picks sounds crazy in a vacuum - 6 or 7 picks, 3 of them our own every other year, that are all in the late 20's or may convert to 2nd rounders isn't as crazy.

I'm just saying the price is relative. It's not about trying to be "right" about someone, it's about what you value as an organization, what fits best for the team and what you think makes you a championship caliber team. I don't think Bridges is Bron in his prime. I think he's the perfect complimentary piece to this roster and I'm willing to do what needs to be done to get that piece, even if it means fukking the market up for others. We can always buy more picks. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:

Daniel.

BK to NJ, but always a New York Knicka
Daps
Yall keep acting like we’re not making basketball arguments and it’s annoying. The way we’re playing right now is a style of basketball that i really enjoy and I’m not changing that for a player that isn’t worth changing that, to me. Adding a player as good as Devin Booker or Donovan Mitchell for instance, changes how we’d play but they’re worth it and that new style probably makes us better overall. Changing this really good basketball we’re playing for Murray just isn’t worth it.

Conversely, I think Mikal Bridges would fit seamlessly into what we’ve been doing. Swapping him in for Donte in the starting lineup gives us a bigger wing to harass guys on the perimeter and also gives us more defensive switch ability as Mikal can guard 4 positions on the floor on most nights. It lets Donte go to the bench and you probably can tweak the rotation a bit and have Randle run with the second unit without giving up much size with the first unit.

I think that sums it up perfectly for me.

Another all star talent may make us better but may substantively change our style of play that may or may not be a good thing for our overall style of play; someone like Bridges puts our current style of play on steroids. I don't think either is wrong, but looking at our current roster, current approach, I'm inclined toward maximizing our style that is unique to ours versus putting in a new piece that might work out, or might force us to make more moves to compensate for it.