“Villanova Dogs and a Domesticated WildKAT... Make It Make Sense..." Official 2024 NY Knicks off-season Thread

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Those would be historic numbers for a guy his size right? How sustainable is that?
I'd say it's tough but not impossible in this offense-friendly era. The three guys I'm looking at are CP3, Isiah Thomas, and Allen Iverson.

AI cracked 30 ppg, but never came close to the efficiency we're talking about.

Thomas spent 5 straight years over 20 ppg and comfortably above 45% from the field (about 47% for all 5 years combined) in a much tougher defensive era.

And in NO, a young Chris Paul was hitting that 20 ppg range AND cracking 49-50% from the field for multiple seasons.

So short guys have cracked 30 ppg, and short guys have put up very efficient 20 ppg seasons. But combining the two would be damn near unheard of (Tiny Archibald had a couple of seasons like that, but I haven't seen nearly enough of that era to project much).

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Julius Randle since January 1st 2023
26.2/10.2/4.4 on 46/34/75

Jalen Brunson since January 1st 2023
27.8/4.1/5.8 on 51/46/80

^^^ When these two finally clicked they were easily a top 3 duo in the league (Personally I think the best)

However this comes with a risk.
Jalen Brunson played 38 minutes a game (3rd in the league)
Julius Randle played 36 minutes a game (6th in the league)

^^^ This doesn’t include both suffered multiple injuries during that span (Brunson bruises and Julius ankle).

Even if there is another level that can be reached what is the cost?

Last edited:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I'd say it's tough but not impossible in this offense-friendly era. The three guys I'm looking at are CP3, Isiah Thomas, and Allen Iverson.

AI cracked 30 ppg, but never came close to the efficiency we're talking about.

Thomas spent 5 straight years over 20 ppg and comfortably above 45% from the field (about 47% for all 5 years combined) in a much tougher defensive era.

And in NO, a young Chris Paul was hitting that 20 ppg range AND cracking 49-50% from the field for multiple seasons.

So short guys have cracked 30 ppg, and short guys have put up very efficient 20 ppg seasons. But combining the two would be damn near unheard of (Tiny Archibald had a couple of seasons like that, but I haven't seen nearly enough of that era to project much).
Right. I was talking to a friend and was hoping an RJ leap would mean Brunson could take a slight step back offensively and pick his spots more. I’m more so concerned about burn out when it comes to him. Glad you mentioned CP cause it felt like in his prime, he only scored when he had to if that makes sense. He would set up other players until the defense fell asleep almost and then attack them devastatingly. I’d love to see Brunson take on a bit more of that role instead of the complete offensive engine we saw in the playoffs.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Right. I was talking to a friend and was hoping an RJ leap would mean Brunson could take a slight step back offensively and pick his spots more. I’m more so concerned about burn out when it comes to him. Glad you mentioned CP cause it felt like in his prime, he only scored when he had to if that makes sense. He would set up other players until the defense fell asleep almost and then attack them devastatingly. I’d love to see Brunson take on a bit more of that role instead of the complete offensive engine we saw in the playoffs.
With the iso heavy offense Thibs runs & the mins he has the starters playing, I doubt that'll happen

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Julius Randle since January 1st 2023
26.2/10.2/4.4 on 46/34/75

Jalen Brunson since January 1st 2023
27.8/4.1/5.8 on 51/46/80

^^^ When these two finally clicked they were easily a top 3 duo in the league (Personally I think the best)

However this comes with a risk.
Jalen Brunson played 38 minutes a game
Julius Randle played 36 minutes a game

^^^ This doesn’t include both suffered multiple injuries during that span (Brunson bruises and Julius ankle).

Even if there is another level that can be reached what is the cost?
I’m going to go on a limb and say the Knicks should go over the second cap threshold NOW to create deep depth with the understanding that unless they win a championship they are going to let one of Brunson or Randle walk the season after next to get back under it.

If I was the Knicks I would throw Fournier, Mavs pick, and maybe their own 2025 pick (since they have the Bucks) at the Blazers for Jerami Grant. He’s not OG but he is close and I trust his 3 pt shot more. Plus he can help keep Randle under 30 minutes a night.

Brunson/IQ/McBride
Grimes/DDV
Grant/Barrett
Randle/Hart
Mitch/IHart/Sims

Go over the apron for 1 year because who cares about exceptions and the waiver wire when you’re 12 deep with NBA players in their prime? The Knicks don’t give a fukk about draft picks either and will likely trade them anyway. Also similar to what we seen with Dame/Jrue, having good players to send out makes deals happen. Plus the whole east lacks depth. This would be the equivalent of jumping everyone. In the end two years let Randle walk if they haven’t won anything and the team is still a top tier team with assets to improve they also would have the assets to move Grant if they want to keep Randle.

In The Zone '98

Superstar
Daps
I’m going to go on a limb and say the Knicks should go over the second cap threshold NOW to create deep depth with the understanding that unless they win a championship they are going to let one of Brunson or Randle walk the season after next to get back under it.

If I was the Knicks I would throw Fournier, Mavs pick, and maybe their own 2025 pick (since they have the Bucks) at the Blazers for Jerami Grant. He’s not OG but he is close and I trust his 3 pt shot more. Plus he can help keep Randle under 30 minutes a night.

Brunson/IQ/McBride
Grimes/DDV
Grant/Barrett
Randle/Hart
Mitch/IHart/Sims

Go over the apron for 1 year because who cares about exceptions and the waiver wire when you’re 12 deep with NBA players in their prime? The Knicks don’t give a fukk about draft picks either and will likely trade them anyway. Also similar to what we seen with Dame/Jrue, having good players to send out makes deals happen. Plus the whole east lacks depth. This would be the equivalent of jumping everyone. In the end two years let Randle walk if they haven’t won anything and the team is still a top tier team with assets to improve they also would have the assets to move Grant if they want to keep Randle.

I dont think the money would work without RJ.

And if you didn't trade RJ, Thibs wouldn't be able to handle all them nikkas looking for minutes.

You only need 9.

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
I dont think the money would work without RJ.

And if you didn't trade RJ, Thibs wouldn't be able to handle all them nikkas looking for minutes.

You only need 9.
It just works cap wise with Roby and Fournier this year, but barely and yeah the minute management is tough but look at the playoffs where everybody got injured.

It’s not about minutes, it’s about trying to compensate for not having a top 10 talent, and getting healthy to the playoffs. It also gives the knicks a way to exploit a lot of top heavy teams.

Thibs sucks at short term in game adjustments but he could still come in with shorter rotations based on the opponent in a series or game to game.

Last edited:

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It just works cap wise with Roby and Fournier this year, but barely and yeah the minute management is tough but look at the playoffs where everybody got injured.

It’s not about minutes, it’s about trying to compensate for not having a top 10 talent, and getting healthy to the playoffs. It also gives the knicks a way to exploit a lot of top heavy teams.

Thibs sucks at short term in game adjustments but he could still come in with shorter rotations based on the opponent in a series or game to game.
Couldn’t make that trade until January.

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
Couldn’t make that trade until January.
That would be as good time as any to do it. Still time to incorporate him into the team for this year’s playoffs, it lessens Randle’s minutes heading into the playoffs, moves RJ to the bench squad, and they can continue to make that push to be third seed.

Money wise It would also be a short term 2nd cap apron push of just 1 full season of tax (if they give IQ an extension). The important thing is they would have this year and next year playoffs to legit try to win a championship before Randle and Brunson became Supermax Eligible. Randle wants that money so if they can let him walk and make Grant the new starting PF and just move RJ back to being a starter.

Even if they want to go after Donovan Mitchell they would still have assets for a trade or to make cap space that summer.

Too me it just makes a lot of sense.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
That would be as good time as any to do it. Still time to incorporate him into the team for this year’s playoffs, it lessens Randle’s minutes heading into the playoffs, moves RJ to the bench squad, and they can continue to make that push to be third seed.

Money wise It would also be a short term 2nd cap apron push of just 1 full season of tax (if they give IQ an extension). The important thing is they would have this year and next year playoffs to legit try to win a championship before Randle and Brunson became Supermax Eligible. Randle wants that money so if they can let him walk and make Grant the new starting PF and just move RJ back to being a starter.

Even if they want to go after Donovan Mitchell they would still have assets for a trade or to make cap space that summer.

Too me it just makes a lot of sense.
If his three point shooting is real, i wouldn’t mind it at all. It puts more size and defense around Brunson. It’s not a bad single/double type of swing that makes us better, when all it might take to make it to the finals is health at this point. I’m curious what other three/four hybrids are out there that could be available? (Besides OG)

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
so u really have no replacemet for obi?
if randle gets hurt, ( and he's coming off surgery) da season is a wrap
No it isn’t.

We have Hart, Sims, Roby, even small ball RJ.

Team has enough resilience to weather that storm and some of our best lineups were with Hart at the 4.

If Randle gets hurt for the season then yeah that’s a big blow but we aren’t making the Finals this year anyway.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No it isn’t.

We have Hart, Sims, Roby, even small ball RJ.

Team has enough resilience to weather that storm and some of our best lineups were with Hart at the 4.

If Randle gets hurt for the season then yeah that’s a big blow but we aren’t making the Finals this year anyway.
RJ at da 4 is a horrible idea
Even josh at the 4 is a stretch despite his great rebounding.

lol at RJ or Hart guarding AD.We gettin bodied down there

Last edited: