Vanessa Calloway: “I Didn’t Get The Role Of Lisa McDowell in Coming To America because of colorism.”

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
But Lisa sister and Daddy was dark skin :jbhmm:
That’s why I could never get into The Cosby Show... the casting seemed off to me with the two light skinned daughters.

27cosby-morris2-superJumbo-v2.jpg

:unimpressed:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
That’s why I could never get into The Cosby Show... the casting seemed off to me with the two light skinned daughters.

That because this happens in real life. How many black families do u know? We come in all shades. My uncle has 8 kids all biologically his and 3 of them are way lighter than the rest.

Azul

Sunkissed.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Comfort Zone
But Lisa sister and Daddy was dark skin :jbhmm:

Yeah, but look at how Patrice's character was portrayed. If I'm not mistaken, the actress who played had some things to say.

Whitney Houston originally won the part of Sandra.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
I don't have enough information on the casting process that went down. It's possible but I'm not sure.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Vanessa Bell Calloway is fine as fukk. I’d knock her down till this day:banderas:

And I wouldn’t be surprised if colorism absolutely had a reason for the casting choices in both that movie and a BUNCH of black 80’s movies. I mean think about it. A King from an African nation chalk full of beautiful darkskinned sistas and the homie Akeem travels all the way to America and ends up with the LIGHTEST BRIGHTEST chick he could find:rudy:

Don’t get me wrong the movie is a classic but you’d be crazy to think colorism wasn’t at play with this flick and honestly most of Eddie’s early movies followed suit.

He broke the mold in Distinguished Gentleman, Beverly Hills Cop 3, and Vampire In Brooklyn (with PRIME Angela Bassett) also Nutty Professor 2 with Janet Jackson.

Cyrus' Wife

Wife of a Warrior
Daps
I believe her. She was prettier than the lady that played the Lisa character and I always felt the 'powers that be' (including Eddie) did not want to see a pretty darker skinned black woman in that leading romantic role due to their own colorism.

She was and still is gorgeous.

c4dd352a7ad4e111dccd6a7a416f41b2.jpg

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
It does happen when the parents are 2 different shades but those 2 daughters are straight biracial. That wasn't realistic at all lol
That’s what I’m saying. Me and my siblings are different shades but none of us look biracial. :mjlol:

And don’t get me started on “A Different World.” The colorism in that was rife, although, it does reflect the paper bag culture of HBCUs though.

Kamala Harris anyone? :sas2:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I believe her. She was prettier than the lady that played the Lisa character and I always felt the 'powers that be' (including Eddie) did not want to see a pretty darker skinned black woman in that leading romantic role due to their own colorism.

She was and still is gorgeous.

c4dd352a7ad4e111dccd6a7a416f41b2.jpg

I’ma keep it real. If Prime Vanessa Bell is offering herself to me i’m slapping a ring on it and we’ll figure out the rest later.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
It does happen when the parents are 2 different shades but those 2 daughters are straight biracial. That wasn't realistic at all lol
I think you forgot biology class it's more rare but a kid could literally come out in any phenotype including what we think of as European features.