Vanessa Calloway: “I Didn’t Get The Role Of Lisa McDowell in Coming To America because of colorism.”

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've seen this play out in real life when it comes to black family units.I don't think it's too much of a reach.Not even a reach at all.

I agree but the difference in real family units is that you can see a resemblence to the parents and other kids usually ,so its not as bad. Thats not the case here since these aren't their actual kids lol.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Golden-Child-1986-Eddie-Murphy-Charlotte-Lewis.jpg
She was never supposed to a sister, she was supposed to be chinese. She was actually british.

Would it blow your mind that Golden child was a girl and Tywin Lannister was the villian

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline
The sequel is coming out. I have no intention of watching it though. They should’ve left it as it was.
One movie that was perfect as it was

0 need for a cash grab sequel

Back to the Future... ok that needed sequels, the story wasn’t fully explored.

This story is done.

Shouldn’t have touched it.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
One movie that was perfect as it was

0 need for a cash grab sequel

Back to the Future... ok that needed sequels, the story wasn’t fully explored.

This story is done.

Shouldn’t have touched it.

Eddie Murphy is a genius,I don't think he would bring black people some bullshyt.
Why assume its trash? He keeps the trash limited to films meant for a white audience,that are purely cash grabs.
I think this is a passion project,his last Netflix biopic movie was really good too.
Why are we just assuming it will be trash because we love the first one:dahell:?
I think these rappers who decided to make sequels well past their prime made yall pessemistic.
Yes if Death Certificate 2 or Illmatic 2 is coming out it will likely be trash. Its not the same for movies and comedic genius.

Cyrus' Wife

Wife of a Warrior
Daps
I've seen this play out in real life when it comes to black family units.I don't think it's too much of a reach.Not even a reach at all.

Exactly right. I mean look at the lady that played the mom (PhyliciaRashad) and her real life sister (DebbieAllen) who was a lot lighter than her but still her full sister...both had the same two biological parents.

norm-nixon-debbie-allen-vivian-nixon-richard-pryor-and-phylicia-rashad-M39K5M.jpg

Another example is Tyra Banks and her brother Devin Banks. Both have the same two biological parents, just different skin tones.

Devin-Banks.jpg

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Looks like hot TRASH!!! :russ:

But eddie got that BAG!!!!:francis:

that sequel looks real mid but you kinda wanna give it a chance. But with all of those comedians in it i have a feeling they’re gonna try to “out joke” each other and it’s gon be a mess

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree but the difference in real family units is that you can see a resemblence to the parents and other kids usually ,so its not as bad. Thats not the case here since these aren't their actual kids lol.

Yeah that's Hollywood stuff.Far as the different skin tones, that really goes down.My mom & aunt have the same mom & pops.

Grandpa looked same tribe as Tyrese.Gram's looked same tribe as Angela Basset.My mom came out dark skinned & my aunt,

ironically, came out looking like Denise Cosby.On the lighter shade of the spectrum.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly right. I mean look at the lady that played the mom (PhyliciaRashad) and her real life sister (DebbieAllen) who was a lot lighter than her but still her full sister...both had the same two biological parents.

norm-nixon-debbie-allen-vivian-nixon-richard-pryor-and-phylicia-rashad-M39K5M.jpg

Another example is Tyra Banks and her brother Devin Banks. Both have the same two biological parents, just different skin tones.

Devin-Banks.jpg

Yep.You see stuff like this all the time.

jay83

Superstar
Daps
Feminist Twitter is gonna have a field day with this.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Folks at the time thought that Vanessa Bell Calloway was a surprise choice to play Akeem's arranged
bride because she had been best-known for being the plain-looking adversary of Debbi Morgan/"Angie"
in the soap opera "All My Children".

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I’m trying to figure out why she felt she would’ve gotten the lead role otherwise. I mean did anyone say this to her? If not that’s a little arrogant of her to think she should’ve gotten it over the actress that did.