Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Pretty big write up detailing all the systems and characters…looks pretty cool

Valkyrie-Elysium_Taika.webp

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I feel like this will fill my void of "AA Japanese ARPG with a healthy dose of jank" for this year... like Ys or Trials of Mana. This looks like a fun time

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I feel like this will fill my void of "AA Japanese ARPG with a healthy dose of jank" for this year... like Ys or Trials of Mana. This looks like a fun time

Really wish this wasn’t coming out a week after Diofield cause i really want that one. Demo’s can be deceiving though so im gonna wait for reviews for both

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Valkyrie's design is so shyt in this game, but Hrist looks dope tho. I might cop this, but it does look overall bad.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Inverse

A few faults aside, the Valkyrie Elysium demo is a promising start. Combat is full of interesting mechanics that require just enough finesse without feeling overly punishing, and the Einherjars seem like they'll add another welcome layer when they show up. The demo contains only the barest scraps of story, namely that Odin wants you to prevent Ragnarok by purifying corrupted souls, so there's no telling how that will turn out. Trailers at least hint at some intriguing characters in your path.

If the rest of Valkyrie Elysium lives up to the solid foundation seen in the demo, it could have one of Square Enix's best action combat systems to date. We can only hope its story will live up to the high standard that Valkyrie Profile set.
Siliconera

While more of Valkyrie Elysium's legacy will be determined in my mind by how its storytelling plays out, I'd say its initial impressions are solid so far. So long as you're not looking for something exactly the same as the original Valkyrie Profile, the Valkyrie Elysium demo shows off a warrior maiden worth welcoming.
RPGSite

I think it's one of those games that plays better than you think when you only watch footage of it. The boss of the first chapter felt like something out of Ysand if Valkyrie Elysium leans into that, I'm all for it.
Digital Trends

I had high hopes for Valkyrie Elysium when I saw the initial reveal, but I'm heading into the full release with more tempered expectations. Valkyrie Profilegoing in the direction of an action JRPG for a new generation is a huge no-brainer, but the game direly needs more polish in its combat if it wants to live up to the original's legacy and the advancements in the genre that we've seen in so many modernized remakes, sequels, and remasters.

Thankfully the demo build of the game I played places you in earlier moments of the game. The initial tutorial and these early levels may not have impressed me, but they also show reasonable amounts of promise. The thought of more assists for different situations excites me, and the fact that you'll be able to wield weapons with different combo strings gives me hope for more combat depth and options later on. With the game releasing so soon, I'm not hopeful for any massive polish changes, but I believe Square Enix could add more attack options like being able to dodge and jump out of strings in time for release or in time for a patch.
Click to shrink...

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
From RPGSite

The primary mechanic that makes Valkyrie Elysium’s combat system enjoyable is the Soul Chain grappling hook. Outside of battle, players can utilize this to traverse the environment and propel themselves towards a key point to reach a platform. In combat though, they can throw a Soul Chain onto an enemy to close the distance on them instantly in order to perform an attack combo, which oddly does make the Valkyrie feel like Spider-Man at times, honestly. There are even combo routes that allow for an air launcher into a Soul Chain to continue comboing an enemy in mid-air fluidly.