US/MEXICO BORDER - UPDATE - CHICAGO RESIDENTS FILE LAWSUIT..MIGRANTS NOW BEING PLACED IN SPANISH SPEAKING NEIGHBORHOODS

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps

In a chaotic meeting Thursday, South Shore residents demanded city officials house immigrants arriving in Chicago on the North Side rather than at a shuttered local school, saying the resources being spent to help them should instead be invested on the South Side.

Officials were prepared to deliver a presentation on the shelter plan at the meeting, which was held at South Shore International College Prep, but as it was set to begin, they were drowned out by audience members yelling, “We don’t care” and “We don’t want them here.”

Others yelled, “Send them back” and “Close the border.” Someone in the crowd held up a sign that read, “Build the wall 2024.”

Here the is the Chicago Sun Times editorial board responding to the residents of the meeting,

South Shore residents angry about migrant shelter would make MAGA proud​

What a pathetic and embarrassing display of NIMBYism, sounding much like an ugly “America First” rally for Donald Trump. One man even held a sign that read “Build the wall 2024.” That image alone is certain to put a smug smile on the faces of many MAGA types.

The South Side has suffered from decades of neglect. There is no argument on that. But the entire city is scrambling right now to find space to temporarily house the thousands of immigrants arriving here. This is not a time for “whataboutism.”

South Shore High School is empty at the moment, so demanding that migrants to be sent to the North Side instead — where many of the alternate shelters are already located — is unreasonable.

Migrant crisis ‘one of the most challenging’ problems facing Chicago’s new mayor, chief of staff says​

Priority No. 1 for the new mayor is to find alternative space so asylum-seekers, including young families, no longer have to sleep on the floors Chicago’s police district stations.

Some of the stations are so crowded with migrants, everyday Chicagoans can’t even make their way to the front desk to file a police report.

The $51 million in surplus funding the City Council’s Budget Committee has agreed to transfer to the migrant crisis will carry Johnson only through June.

“That’s another aspect of this very complicated situation. ... There’s no money set aside for something of this magnitude,” Guidice said.

“Short of a federal disaster declaration, there is no ability to tap into other funds.”

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
why are they using republican slogans then? and why should myself a black person from ohio give af about border issues? seems like some white fear mongering that these folks have unfortunately bought into. even if its a true issue its so far down the list of priorties to the black communtity that it seems sus even putting it on the table. deport them, find them work i don't care.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
why are they using republican slogans then? and why should myself a black person from ohio give af about border issues? seems like some white fear mongering that these folks have unfortunately bought into. even if its a true issue its so far down the list of priorties to the black communtity that it seems sus even putting it on the table. deport them, find them work i don't care.

because they are beling placed in black communities consuming resources that would be better spent on actual legit black citizens who are already here and struggling. that's why.

Sir Richard Spirit

Superstar
Daps
Yes, the flow of migrants is a nuanced topic, but why would you include the image of a black woman using a racist Trump campaign message and then try to make your argument that it isn't racist:what:

And this is what I mean about pretending. All this typing about nothing.

The people on the ground are arguing about resources being taken from them and given to another community.