US heroin overdoses shifting to young, white, Midwestern

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Mostly because it's a natural progression from painkillers.

A lot of athletes and people who are on opiates like Vicodin or Percocet eventually become addicted and move to heroin.

It's sad.
That's why people should avoid pharmaceuticals if possible.
Same thing happens with Adderall and meth, though on a much smaller scale.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That Afghan pure is doing major damage here in the states

US heroin overdoses shifting to young, white, Midwestern

US Heroin Overdoses Shifting to Young, White, Midwestern
NEW YORK — Mar 4, 2015, 12:02 AM ET
By MIKE STOBBE AP Medical Writer

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/us-heroin-overdoses-shifting-young-white-midwestern-29372684

Young, white and living in the Midwest: Report reveals the people most likely to die from heroin-related overdoses in the U.S.
  • Older blacks were previously those most likely to fall victim to the drug
  • Official figures reveal sharp rise in overdose deaths since 2010
  • That corresponds with a crackdown on synthetic opioid painkillers
By Associated Press and Damien Gayle for MailOnline

Published: 17:38 EST, 3 March 2015 | Updated: 05:54 EST, 4 March 2015
006F01D500000578-2978291-Shooting_up_Young_whites_from_the_Midwest_have_emerged_as_the_gr-a-8_1425466186755.jpg

Shooting up: Young whites from the Midwest have emerged as the group most likely to die from a heroin overdose. (Picture posed by model)

Young whites from the Midwest are the Americans most likly to die from a heroin overdose, figures show.

The number of fatal heroin overdoses in the U.S. has nearly quadrupled since 2000, according to the most recent data, with a major demographic shift in the kinds of victims.

Fifteen years ago the death rate was highest among older blacks and the West and Northeast had the biggest heroin problems.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report, based on death certificates from 2013, tallied drug overdose deaths across the U.S. in which heroin was a contributing factor.

There were 8,257 heroin-related deaths in 2013, compared to 5,925 the previous year. The rates have soared since 2010, when deaths numbered about 3,000.

Heroin-related deaths increased between 2000 and 2013 in both men and women, in all age groups, and in whites, blacks and Hispanics.

But the sharpest rise was among young 'non-Hispanic white persons'. In 2000, the highest death rate from heroin overdoses was in blacks ages 45 to 64. But in 2013, whites ages 18 to 44 had the highest rate.

Whites in that age group accounted for more than half of the heroin-related overdose deaths that year.

And the region with the largest heroin overdose problems shifted to the Midwest. The West and Northeast had the same highest rate in 2000. The report did not provide state breakdowns.

'The age-adjusted rate for drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin nearly quadrupled from 0.7 per 100,000 in 2000 to 2.7 per 100,000 in 2013,' the report said.

'During this 14-year period, the age-adjusted rate showed an average increase of 6 per cent per year from 2000 through 2010, followed by a larger average increase of 37 per cent per year from 2010 through 2013.'

Overall, there were about 44,000 drug overdose deaths in 2013. More than 16,000 of them involved a type of powerful prescription painkillers, such as the opioid analgesics Vicodin and OxyContin.

Those deaths were nearly twice as high as the heroin-related deaths in 2013. However, painkiller-related deaths held steady for two years while those involving heroin climbed.

The report didn't explore why heroin deaths are increasing, but it follows reports that legalisation of cannabis in several U.S. states was leading drug farmers in Mexico sow fields of opium instead.

Other experts have said recent restrictions on prescribing painkillers may be reducing supplies at a time when the heroin supply has been increasing.

About one in six of the drug poisoning deaths involving heroin also involved opioid analgesics.

264E728300000578-0-Age_adjusted_rates_for_drug_poisoning_deaths_by_type_of_drug_200-m-9_1425465633843.jpg

Age-adjusted rates for drug-poisoning deaths, by type of drug, 2000 - 2013: The graph shows a sharp increase in the number of heroin deaths starting in 2010, as deaths from opioid painkillers stabilized
264E728700000578-0-image-m-8_1425465603322.jpg

Number of drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin, by sex, 2000 - 2013: The sharpest rise in heroin overdose deaths was among men from 2010 onwards, while women recorded a more gradual increase

264E728F00000578-0-Rates_for_drug_poisoning_deaths_involving_heroin_by_selected_age-m-11_1425465715986.jpg

Rates for drug-poisoning deaths involving heroin, by selected age and race and ethnicity groups: Rates of overdoses increased in all categories, but the sharpest rises were seen among 'non-Hispanic whites'

The UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) last year reported that users of synthetic opioid drugs were increasingly substituting their addiction for heroin, 'driven by the increased availability of heroin in parts of the United States, and lesser costs to regular users to maintain their dependency.'

'Further, the reformulation of one of the main prescription pharmaceuticals abused, OxyContin, now makes it more difficult to snort or inject it,' the report said.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse says one in 15 people who take a prescription painkiller for non-medical reasons will end up trying heroin within the next 10 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...verdoses-shifting-young-white-Midwestern.html

USMC-Lance-Cpl.-Antonio-Wilccoxen-other-Marines-in-1st-Platoon-Company-I-Battalion-Landing-Team-3-8-Regimental-Combat-Team-8-walk-in-poppy-field-during-security-patrol-Helmand-provinces-Green-Zone-west-of-Nar-e-Saraj-canal.jpg

images

images
I wish I had some sympathy, but I don't.
Cacs out here trying out the movie Trainspotting and shyt.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
I wish I had some sympathy, but I don't.
Cacs out here trying out the movie Trainspotting and shyt.

i read a story in the economist magazine years ago 'Powder Trails' and was amazed at how much info they published about routes. some conspiracy folks say the big global bankers and royal families of europe run the trade. those opium wars with china were real and supplied centuries of experience in the trade.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Oh well. :francis:

I hit the piiff once every other week and I ain't never thought about fukking with nothing else :ahh:

Deal with it Cacs :squmad:

KingTut

Green diamonds like a dill pickle
Daps
Reppin
TX
i read a story in the economist magazine years ago 'Powder Trails' and was amazed at how much info they published about routes. some conspiracy folks say the big global bankers and royal families of europe run the trade. those opium wars with china were real and supplied centuries of experience in the trade.

As much money as opiates make worldwide you best believe some big banks and powerful families are connected with it. They didn't get to the top by playing fair.

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
Theres a white kid walking around philly talking about he's jesus. Son a junkie. He claims he was hooked on lady h. When I say I hate these middle class white ducks who were afforded certain luxuries, it's because I lived right on the border of Philadelphia and Montgomery county. I knew people who were given months for a bag or two while this kid was getting pulled over by Cheltenham cops and given his walking papers.

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
was reading the news in another linked coli post and saw this story.

dude copped a plea bargain and apologized to the parents.... vid in link.

Updated: 8:12 p.m. Friday, March 6, 2015 | Posted: 11:24 a.m. Friday, March 6, 2015

Alpharetta man pleads guilty in heroin overdose death

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/alpharetta-man-pleads-guilty-heroin-overdose-death/nkP2s/
alpharetta_indictment.jpg

Sebastian Andrade, Cory Ben-Hanania and Kevin McCaffrey More Info
Chelsea2.jpg

Chelsea Bennett More Info

ben_hanania.jpg

Ben-Hanania apologized to Bennett’s family after Chelsea’s mother, Rita, read an emotional statement to the judge asking for justice.

By Mike Petchenik

ALPHARETTA, Ga —

An Alpharetta man will spend more than a decade in prison after pleading guilty for his role in the heroin-related death of a former friend.

Just as lawyers were prepared to mount his defense to a jury, Cory Ben-Hanania, 21, opted to plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter, reckless conduct and distribution of heroin. The negotiated plea deal means he’ll spend 12 years of a 20-year sentence in prison.

Ben-Hanania was facing life in prison if convicted of felony murder.

Prosecutors contend Ben-Hanania injected his friend, Chelsea Bennett, with a lethal dose of heroin during a night of consensual drug use last March, and then failed to call 911 when the aspiring actress overdosed in the bedroom of his parents’ Alpharetta home.

Two other men, Sebastian Andrade and Kevin McCaffrey, previously took plea deals. McCaffrey is serving a 4-year sentence for selling the heroin to Andrade, Bennett and Ben-Hanania. Andrade’s deal put him on probation.

“I didn't inject Chelsea. I didn't inject Sebastian,” Ben-Hanania said to Judge John Goger Friday. “I'm taking this, because I'm scared."

Ben-Hanania only apologized to Bennett’s family after Chelsea’s mother, Rita, read an emotional statement to the judge asking for justice.

“I’m sorry. I wish I’d woke up. I wish I did something. I’m sorry,” he said. “You guys know I loved Chelsea. I didn’t want this to happen to her.”

Bennett’s mother said she’s tormented by her daughter’s death and said that Chelsea wanted to help Ben-Hanania, who was struggling with drug addiction.

“She believed that you could be a better person, but for all of her efforts, you paid her back by taking her life,” Rita Bennett said in a written statement to the judge. “You sat and watched her die while you texted your girlfriend about meeting up later.”

Rita Bennett, however, told Channel 2’s Mike Petchenik that her family forgives Ben-Hanania and hopes he gets the help he needs to straighten out his life.

“I just feel he’s a young person. He made a horrible mistake,” she told Petchenik. “Our daughter’s life was the result of that, but to hold that inside and not forgive him would not be what we believe is the right thing.”

Det. Jakai Braithwaite told Petchenik the case was personal for him.
1463ae8.jpg

“This case was difficult,” he said. “A lot of nights we didn’t sleep, a lot of tossing and turning, because we really did get wrapped up with this.”

Braithwaite said he and his partner knew Bennett’s death was more than just an accidental overdose from day one, and he wants what happened to send a message to other young people struggling with drug abuse.

“This is something you could be prosecuted for and leave this stuff alone,” he said. “Heroin is nothing to mess with.”

ALLiKNOWizPAIN

I Ain't Livin' Right
Daps
Reppin
713 2 316
im addicted to percs n tabs

but im not trying to stick that needle in my arm

anybody ever done it ? :lupe:

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Whites have always been larger amount of drug users. Also I find it surprising that they haven't always been the ones to mostly overdose, though this specifies just heroin. I can't help but be skeptical that they simply lagged behind on getting the statistics to align with reality.

In college, I hear white kids mostly talking about getting high, getting drunk ("Ohmahgawd I'm goin to get so waasted"), and doing everything under the sun. Black kids might talk about it sometimes and at the most about weed but they didn't treat it like its like some life goal or some shyt.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Guess we should get tough on crime in these areas :troll:

@tmonster
No this means that its time to start looking into opening up more rehab centers and having a heart to heart examination of the effects of drugs on our poor kids :mjcry::mjcry:

20-30 Years ago: LOCK THEM THUGS UP! THEY'RE RUINING OUR SOCIETY! SENTENCE THEM TO 25-LIFE FOR AN OUNCE OF CRACK

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Please, CaCsuckas from everywhere BEEN hook on the sherm, so why is it making news now:mjpls:

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
they will start taking it seriously now like they did aids when cacs started to get it

Ive been saying it for few years heroin and meth are lower middle class white Americas biggest kept secret , they could literally do a show like the First 48 but based just on white heron/meth user. I ve seen this shyt first hand now that I live in the midwest , there are towns where 85% + of the population in addicted to meth and are the biggest producers,sellers and user across the whole country . Crime, prostitution, child abuse, you name it its happening in all these small white towns.

:none: a lot of them are cats that come back from Iraq/Afghanistan are hooked HEAVY on that stufff too and will sell you anything (guns, ammo etc) on the CHEAP to get more money for there next hit, had one of these offer to sell me a full auto rifle for $100 one time

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
Ive been saying it for few years heroin and meth are lower middle class white Americas biggest kept secret , they could literally do a show like the First 48 but based just on white heron/meth user. I ve seen this shyt first hand now that I live in the midwest , there are towns where 85% + of the population in addicted to meth and are the biggest producers,sellers and user across the whole country . Crime, prostitution, child abuse, you name it its happening in all these small white towns.

:none: a lot of them are cats that come back from Iraq/Afghanistan are hooked HEAVY on that stufff too and will sell you anything (guns, ammo etc) on the CHEAP to get more money for there next hit, had one of these offer to sell me a full auto rifle for $100 one time
My mom was a doctor in the midwest (she recently left) in a relatively small city. 99% of nothing but white people and her biggest complaint was all the meth users and drug seekers that came into the hospital. People come in with no noticeable injury and they immediately naming drugs left and right for my mom to give them and would literally get angry when she would understandably say no.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
My mom was a doctor in the midwest (she recently left) in a relatively small city. 99% of nothing but white people and her biggest complaint was all the meth users and drug seekers that came into the hospital. People come in with no noticeable injury and they immediately naming drugs left and right for my mom to give them and would literally get angry when she would understandably say no.

breh the walgreen & CVS out here have a limit on the # of syringes they can sell ( as well as the time of day they can sell them). I was in there one day pickup some vitamins and some meth head came in and asked for 30 syringes :dwillhuh: