Unpopular opinion: Ethan Hawke was just as good as Denzel in Training Day

Maruchan

Pro
Daps
Ethan Hawke had the better character, not necessarily the better performance.

Jake was more multi-dimensional and more sympathetic. He was an idealistic boy scout type, but was tough and gritty enough to hang in the streets. And his morals being tested by Alonzo trying to manipulate him into that LAPD corruption.

Denzel was more charismatic but Alonzo didn’t have any depth. His whole performance is just him acting tough and cool with street swag. :myman:

That shyt is cool in the moment but it gets played out quick. They should’ve delved deeper into what made Alonzo into what he was and his motivations. They just made him into a cartoon villain. :manny:

You gotta blame the writer/s for that though. They should’ve kept the movie solely focused on the dynamic between the two.

Instead they went the cliche action/thriller route at the end. Fistfights on the roof and shyt. :mjlol:
Nah u wrong about this one...
What makes Alonzo such a great character is that he thinks hes in the right. He doesn't think he is a villain at all. In fact, he cant understand for the life of him how the white nikka doesn't understand that this is simply how shyt works. He is literally training him for for his new job.

Eddie_1100

All Star
Daps
He's white, those mannerisms weren't hard for him

He just went into his bag, and then when it was time to switch gears.. his acting skills shined

Seriously. He pretty much was along for the ride most of the film, not really sure what’s so awe inspiring about his performance. Seemed pretty flat to me. :yeshrug:

Lootha VanDraws

'The Night I Fell in Love' is the GOAT R&B album
Daps
Ethan Hawke is a pretty good actor.
I thought he did well.

The thing people should keep in mind is that Hawk's character really wasn't the main focus of the film. The story wasn't particularly written "for him"...certainly the best dialogue wasn't.
Training Day was a great movie, and you can't have a great movie being carried by 1 actor. They all were good....except for Dr Dre. He was awful.

He should have done his super thug pose at least once in the movie.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Nah u wrong about this one...
What makes Alonzo such a great character is that he thinks hes in the right. He doesn't think he is a villain at all. In fact, he cant understand for the life of him how the white nikka doesn't understand that this is simply how shyt works. He is literally training him for for his new job.

exactly. That part where they sit with a judge and other high ranking folks should have convinced Jake that this is how it is.
Alonzo didnt actually plan to kill jake from the beginning like people many think, i think he actually liked him a lot,
but Jake didn't pull the trigger on Roger, he didn't take any of the money Alonzo and his crew took, and he was obviously unwilling to bend his ethics as far as Alonzo needed him to, even threatening to suddenly quit the team which IA would have been all over...... This led to alonzo basically going :yeshrug:You gotta tie up loos ends, so jake had to go.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I always wondered how kenan ended up being famous when kel had all the starpower, did kel willingly leave the industry? :jbhmm:

Kenan is the much better actor. Always was too. That's not saying Kel wasn't good. Kel could act, dance, rap. Kenan just had more depth in his roles. Even on all that his characters were deeper and more on point than kel's loud funny (often same shyt different outfit) characters.

Kel still does shyt to this day I see him in syfy movies and stuff.

Somebody

All Star
Daps
whole lotta cacs itt. this movie is a white savior film and not much else. a copy of Denzel's first movie.

some iconic scenes tho. Denzel carried the whole movie

Last edited:

Dreadknox77

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
exactly. That part where they sit with a judge and other high ranking folks should have convinced Jake that this is how it is.
Alonzo didnt actually plan to kill jake from the beginning like people many think, i think he actually liked him a lot,
but Jake didn't pull the trigger on Roger, he didn't take any of the money Alonzo and his crew took, and he was obviously unwilling to bend his ethics as far as Alonzo needed him to, even threatening to suddenly quit the team which IA would have been all over...... This led to alonzo basically going :yeshrug:You gotta tie up loos ends, so jake had to go.

Funny thing is eventually Jake basically robbed Alonzo for the million . Even the script mentioned something about street justice .

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nah but he was damn good. Both roles are exceptional and better than you'd expect on paper. We've all seen films with crooked cops and the good guy rookie cop. Yet both roles avoided being stereotypical by adding a lot of depth. And then the actors came along and knocked it out the park. Denzel especially.

clyma est mort

R.I.P. Eazy-E
Daps
Reppin
Nor Cal
Denzel crushed it, but Ethan delivered a great performance as well. Check him out in Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (which also features Marisa Tomei getting naked.)