Daps

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

1/1
Many people don’t know it (including library people before they start working at the library!) but a lot of libraries require you have a Master’s Degree in Library Science to become a librarian.

Love people learning what it takes to be a librarian!

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

you can do a lot with that degree.

i have a friend who wanted to be a librarian but it didn't end up paying enough for her, but there are all kinds of libraries out there, not just your public one.

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC

1/1
Many people don’t know it (including library people before they start working at the library!) but a lot of libraries require you have a Master’s Degree in Library Science to become a librarian.

Love people learning what it takes to be a librarian!

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

Ain't none of the shyt he said justify a Master degree

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A whole masters degree for a database seems like overkill unless your not using a student loan.
that's obviously not the only thing they learn

but the original tiktok was trying to say you shouldn't even need a degree at all, like all librarians do is put books back on the shelf.

if you've been to your local library lately, unless you live in some small backwoods ass town, there is a lot going on there to manage than just putting books on shelves by the dewey decimal system.

yall sounding like the cac downplaying a librarian to be honest.

anyway my friend who has her masters in it went on to help with the creation of a database and digital transfer for archives of some state department after she left her public library job. now that it has been created she manages it as well as their current records, she making bank. :manny:

Last edited:

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
From my experience, you don't need a Masters in Library Science to work in a library(I worked in a library as a library assistant). That said, most of the Librarians I know/worked with were in management positions(requirement for a management position). Also, at least in SoCal, they would pay for your masters program as long as you worked stayed there for a number of years(I think it was 5 don't remember) and since most of the people that I've met, actually enjoyed working there, it was a pretty easy choice for them. Heck the only reason I stayed for as long as I did was because I enjoyed it so much. If I didn't get laid off(public library) I probably would have eventually went down that path myself.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
that's obviously not the only thing they learn

but the original tiktok was trying to say you shouldn't even need a degree at all, like all librarians do is put books back on the shelf.

if you've been to your local library lately, unless you live in some small backwoods ass town, there is a lot going on there to manage than just putting books on shelves by the dewey decimal system.

yall sounding like the cac downplaying a librarian to be honest.

anyway my friend who has her masters in it went on to help with the creation of a database and digital transfer for archives of some state department after she left her public library job. now that it has been created she manages it as well as their current records, she making bank. :manny:
I also think people forget that libraries are a source of many resources for a community. The one I worked at offered computer courses, tutoring, job searching assistance, resume writing assistance, ESL courses, children and teen activities, etc. And for the most part, the library staff are the ones who have to put these things together. Don't get me wrong, before working in one, I was pretty ignorant about the importance of public libraries. But make no mistake, it's one of the most important resources we have in this country. We honestly should be investing more money into them imo.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I also think people forget that libraries are a source of many resources for a community. The one I worked at offered computer courses, tutoring, job searching assistance, resume writing assistance, ESL courses, children and teen activities, etc. And for the most part, the library staff are the ones who have to put these things together. Don't get me wrong, before working in one, I was pretty ignorant about the importance of public libraries. But make no mistake, it's one of the most important resources we have in this country. We honestly should be investing more money into them imo.
yep, also all kinds of events/public gatherings take place at libraries in rented out spaces too. not just the ones for children.

there are so many different aspects to running one, the people there wear many hats, maybe it varies in certain areas, but definitely in california it's the case. maybe in other states they're not as funded idk.

the person I know got financial assistance for her degree from them, idk if they paid for all of it, but she was kind of stuck in a position where no one above her was leaving/retiring any time soon once she got her degree and she was not making enough at that point, which is why she chose to leave. i think if she was actually able to transition into one of the top roles, she would have stayed, because it was her real passion. cost of living just keeps going up tho.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
yep, also all kinds of events/public gatherings take place at libraries in rented out spaces too. not just the ones for children.

there are so many different aspects to running one, the people there wear many hats, maybe it varies in certain areas, but definitely in california it's the case.

the person I know got financial assistance for her degree from them, idk if they paid for all of it, but she was kind of stuck in a position where no one above her was leaving/retiring any time soon once she got her degree and she was not making enough at that point, which is why she chose to leave. i think if she was actually able to transition into one of the top roles, she would have stayed, because it was her real passion. cost of living just keeps going up tho.
The bolded is very underrated. I've met many people who showed up to work to collect a check. I only met a few who showed up because they actually loved what they did. Most of those people worked in a library. And yeah if your friend was in Cali, I understand completely. I still see some of the faces I worked with at the library whenever I visit and they don't look like they are leaving any time soon.