Uncut Gems | Discussion Thread

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Let me get a nine spoiler review brehs! shyt looks like piff

My only fear after walking out of this movie is whether or not I can give an honest assessment of the film. I was so excited to see it, I think it's possible that I could've overlooked the weak points.

With that being said, this is just too intriguing of a film to pass up. This is a film that captures the dizzying NYC pacing so well, millions of stories running concurrently, and the Sadfie brothers make sure we understand that. Main dialogue is pierced by any and every sound possible -- ringing phones and doorbells, salesmen, body guards, basketball stars, rap stars, seedy and otherwise undesirable folks that have all somehow found their way into Sandler's character, Howard's, life.

They got great performances from damn near everyone. Even KG did an excellent job. What could've been a glaring instance of an athlete acting stiff was saved by KG actually making the most of his time on screen -- which is actually more than just a few lines.

Yes, Julia Fox does a great job in this. By the end of the movie, I found myself surprised by her role in this, as I figured she would only play a minor part.

Shadowing Howard as he maneuvers through New York is, as I've stated, anxiety inducing. At virtually every step, there is someone bidding for his attention, every time he turns his head we notice an ominous presence inching closer, but we can't dwell on anything in this film. Fortunately, the audience get some relief from a few genuinely comedic moments. I found myself laughing a bit more than other audience members, which I think might've been because they just weren't keeping up with the dialogue. Nonetheless, there are some fukking funny moments in this that will make everyone laugh.

Another aspect of relief comes in the form of Howard's evidently infectious gambling optimism. This man is so deep in shyt that only someone with a gambling problem could withstand the odds against him, anyone else would've crumbled.

We're taken from jewelry stores to pawn shops; from Passover celebrations to apartments with side pieces/women; high school drama production to the inside of a Benz trunk. It's like the saying goes, don't blink or you will miss it 100%.

Howard is fascinating, but as long as he runs the streets, we don't ever truly understand what he's doing, who he's hurting, and etc. We're trying to untangle everything with Howard, and it makes the 2 hour run time seem like a half hour.

Great film go watch it dammit.

Edit: hit post reply a lil early, lots of edits made to my original post!

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
My only fear after walking out of this movie is whether or not I can give an honest assessment of the film. I was so excited to see it, I think it's possible that I could've overlooked the weak points.

With that being said, this is just too intriguing of a film to pass up. This is a film that captures the dizzying NYC pacing too well, millions of stories running concurrently, and the Sadfie brothers make sure we understand that. Main dialogue is pierced by any and every sound possible -- ringing phones and doorbells, salesmen, body guards, basketball stars, rap stars, seedy and otherwise undesirable folks that have somehow found their way into Sandler's character, Howard, life.

They got great performances from damn near everyone. Even KG did an excellent job. What could've been a glaring instance of an athlete acting stiff was saved by KG actually making the most of his time on screen -- which is actually more than just a few lines.

Yes, Julia Fox does a great job in this. By the end of the movie, I found myself surprised by her role in this, as I figured she would only play a minor part.

Shadowing Howard as he maneuvers through New York is, as I've stated, anxiety inducing. At virtually every step, there is someone bidding for his attention, every time he turns his head we notice an ominous presence inching closer, but we can't dwell on anything in this film. We're taken from jewelry stores to pawn shops; from Passover celebrations to apartments with side pieces/women; high School drama production to the inside of a Benz trunk. It's like the saying goes, don't blink or you will miss it 100%.

Howard is fascinating, but as long as he runs the streets, we don't ever truly understand what he's doing, who he's hurting, and etc. We're trying to untangle everything with Howard, and it makes the 2 hour run time seem like a half hour.

Great film go watch it dammit.
Julia Fox is a fukkin' dime. I think I'm in love. :shaq:

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Julia Fox is a fukkin' dime. I think I'm in love. :shaq:

The Safdie's didn't go over the top with nudity, so we don't get to see her exposed too much.... But yes, she is a fukkin dime. She plays the devastatingly alluring side chick perfectly.:mjlit:

Btw, we don't see her fully naked but the scene we do get to see... WHEW.:banderas:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The Safdie's didn't go over the top with nudity, so we don't get to see her exposed too much.... But yes, she is a fukkin dime. She plays the devastatingly alluring side chick perfectly.:mjlit:

Btw, we don't see her fully naked but the scene we do get to see... WHEW.:banderas:
I started following her on IG before I even knew she was an actress. Beautiful woman right there. Killah Cam put me on. I heard he filmed some scene for the movie did it make it in?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Just got back. Yo, this is a 9.5/10 maybe 10/10, want to see it again before giving final. Sandler is EXCELLENT, a guy you should hate but you love. Probably the funniest he has ever been to.
Julia Fox is so fine. And the entire cast does their thing.
This is a NYC movie to the core and @FreedMind nailed the description it is unnecessarily busy like the city and how people, sight and sounds invade your space.
And unlike a lot of Oscar bait this movie doesn't fizzle out to a nonsensical conclusion. It is exciting to the end and the ending isn't predictable.
Supporting cast is excellent all around. This is near perfect movie, my only possible gripe is playing up both Jewish and Black stereotypes too much but it also comes off realistic. But I got to watch it again.
Loved it! Please see this movie.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Just got back. Yo, this is a 9.5/10 maybe 10/10, want to see it again before giving final. Sandler is EXCELLENT, a guy you should hate but you love. Probably the funniest he has ever been to.
Julia Fox is so fine. And the entire cast does their thing.
This is a NYC movie to the core and @FreedMind nailed the description it is unnecessarily busy like the city and how people, sight and sounds invade your space.
And unlike a lot of Oscar bait this movie doesn't fizzle out to a nonsensical conclusion. It is exciting to the end and the ending isn't predictable.
Supporting cast is excellent all around. This is near perfect movie, my only possible gripe is playing up both Jewish and Black stereotypes too much but it also comes off realistic. But I got to watch it again.
Loved it! Please see this movie.

when this shyt drops in the chi I’mma peep

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Want to talk about the supporting cast more. Even tho I won't include any real spoilers:

Kevin Garnett is great in this even tho he is playing himself. He is fluid and natural and actually gives the movie more realism.
Julia Fox can improve on the acting tip but she isn't bad at all. And she is beautiful eye candy the entire movie.
Lakeith Stanfield does his thing as usual but his character while realistic was a bit stereotypical. Everyone knows guys like him who hustle in a field that has a lack of corporate structure.
Idina Menzel was good and made the most of her scenes. Could have played up their relationship dynamics a bit more.
Eric Bogasian you know this guy from a lot of TV dramas that came out the last few years and he does a good role being the opposite of Adam Sandler. He seems like a guy you just don't like for whatever reason. And his henchmen are also just unlikable pricks. I guess it helps you root for Howard/Adam Sandler.
Judd Hirsch is good and I'm glad to see him getting work.
The child actors that played his kids were great to.
And my G, the last real commentator alive Mike Francesa does a good job and he's not even an actor. Also adds to the NYC authenticity of the movie.
There are also a couple of surprising cameos I won't even mention that are also fun.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Uncut.Gems.2019.1080p.WEBSCREENER.X264.AC3-EVO

tenor.gif

About to watch this motherfukker TONIGHT :mjlit: