Uncle Drew Playin With The Nephews By The 7/11: Official 2017-18 Boston Celtics Season Thread

How Far Do The Celtics Go This Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William Heavy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jaylen needs to give the ball to our ball handlers early in the open court. We had numbers on three different possessions and he made the wrong decision and blew good looks.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Why isn't Jason Tatum playing?

Did he not play the whole game. Just started watching the end of the 3rd quarter

e001

Superstar
Daps
Should've called timeout, Kyrie always goes for these brainless threes. Play the free-throw game until there's not enough time.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps

The knock on Tatum to that point had been his perimeter shooting. But he had spent the break between the end of his lone college season and the start of private pre-draft workouts hoisting 250 3-pointers per day with hopes of being able to prove to NBA suitors that he could eliminate one of his few perceived weaknesses.

Then he went out in front of Boston brass and did just that.

It wasn't the tipping point for a Celtics staff that had Tatum in the conversation for the top pick throughout the draft evaluation process, but it certainly made them think a little bit harder about whether the lanky 6-foot-8 wing had the best chance of being the franchise-altering talent they craved.

A short time after that workout, the Celtics dealt the No. 1 pick to the Philadelphia 76ers, confident that Tatum would still be available to them with the No. 3 selection they received in exchange, while also picking up a potential future lottery pick for their troubles.

Now, three months into the season, Tatum has muscled his way into Rookie of the Year contender status.

Maybe most astoundingly, Tatum leads the NBA in 3-point shooting at a staggering 46 percent clip. According to Second Spectrum shooting data, Tatum has a quantified shooter impact (qSI) of 15.4 percent, meaning that he shoots 15.4 percent better on 3-pointers than an average player in similar situations (based on defensive pressure, shot clock, and shot type). That mark ranks him third in the NBA behind only the Chicago Bulls' Nikola Mirotic (17.5) and the Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson (15.6).

'This kid, he's going to be a superstar': Jayson Tatum is no average rookie

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
The former point guard, whom the C’s selected ninth overall in the 1969 NBA Draft, spent his first nine and a half seasons in Boston, averaging 18.4 points, 5.1 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game all while earning seven All-Star appearances. The Olympic gold medalist established a still-standing franchise record of 488 consecutive games played that spanned from the 1971-72 season to the 1977-78 campaign.

White played a key role in leading the Celtics to a pair of championships in 1974 and 1976. He famously played 60 minutes, tallying 33 points and nine assists, during a triple-overtime win over Phoenix in Game 5 of the 1976 Finals, and later earned MVP honors for the series.

Celtics, Past & Present, Saddened by JoJo White’s Passing | Boston Celtics

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

The knock on Tatum to that point had been his perimeter shooting. But he had spent the break between the end of his lone college season and the start of private pre-draft workouts hoisting 250 3-pointers per day with hopes of being able to prove to NBA suitors that he could eliminate one of his few perceived weaknesses.

Then he went out in front of Boston brass and did just that.

It wasn't the tipping point for a Celtics staff that had Tatum in the conversation for the top pick throughout the draft evaluation process, but it certainly made them think a little bit harder about whether the lanky 6-foot-8 wing had the best chance of being the franchise-altering talent they craved.

A short time after that workout, the Celtics dealt the No. 1 pick to the Philadelphia 76ers, confident that Tatum would still be available to them with the No. 3 selection they received in exchange, while also picking up a potential future lottery pick for their troubles.

Now, three months into the season, Tatum has muscled his way into Rookie of the Year contender status.

Maybe most astoundingly, Tatum leads the NBA in 3-point shooting at a staggering 46 percent clip. According to Second Spectrum shooting data, Tatum has a quantified shooter impact (qSI) of 15.4 percent, meaning that he shoots 15.4 percent better on 3-pointers than an average player in similar situations (based on defensive pressure, shot clock, and shot type). That mark ranks him third in the NBA behind only the Chicago Bulls' Nikola Mirotic (17.5) and the Golden State Warriors' Klay Thompson (15.6).

'This kid, he's going to be a superstar': Jayson Tatum is no average rookie

Is there any possibility they can trade for Anthony Davis without giving up both Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum?

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Is there any possibility they can trade for Anthony Davis without giving up both Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum?

I don't see it...even if we could get around salaries, the Pels will be trying to lunge for Tatum and/or Brown as part of the return...and, honestly, we couldn't blame them since they would conceivably be losing AD (a top 10 player when healthy) and looking to rebuild quickly for the future.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
I don't see it...even if we could get around salaries, the Pels will be trying to lunge for Tatum and/or Brown as part of the return...and, honestly, we couldn't blame them since they would conceivably be losing AD (a top 10 player when healthy) and looking to rebuild quickly for the future.

Well damn then. Who would you rather stay on the Celtics, Tatum or Brown?

You already know who I would pick :wow:

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Well damn then. Who would you rather stay on the Celtics, Tatum or Brown?

You already know who I would pick :wow:

That's the devil's proposition. :birdman:

Brown and Tatum are the lynchpins for the future. But I'd rather keep Tatum (if I really had to choose).

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
That's the devil's proposition. :birdman:

Brown and Tatum are the lynchpins for the future. But I'd rather keep Tatum (if I really had to choose).

Exactly, same with me. But I rather keep both. Would you rather keep those 2 even if it meant you won't get Davis?

Imma be honest, I rather keep them. We may get another big in the draft or by trade (with lesser to lose)

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Exactly, same with me. But I rather keep both. Would you rather keep those 2 even if it meant you won't get Davis?

Imma be honest, I rather keep them. We may get another big in the draft or by trade (with lesser to lose)

Yeah I'd rather keep them both and pass on AD (for the same reason...we can draft a big). Plus, I feel like :Horford: is the consummate point forward for our style of play on offense.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Yeah I'd rather keep them both and pass on AD (for the same reason...we can draft a big). Plus, I feel like :Horford: is the consummate point forward for our style of play on offense.

Exactly. Al Horford is probably the best passer on the team. If Celtics get a center in the draft that would play alongside Al, it would be amazing :wow: