Uncle Drew Playin With The Nephews By The 7/11: Official 2017-18 Boston Celtics Season Thread

How Far Do The Celtics Go This Season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
:scust: the worst player of the 3 imo

You're buggin.

Jaylen played the 2 for us at different times last season and often found himself with a favorable mismatch; he's 6'7". Plus he has great footwork with his back to the bucket and he's strong enough to establish position.

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Praise for Shane Larkin :leon:

"First of all, I love the way he plays,"
Stevens said. "I think he's got a great pace to him. He can get into the paint on anybody. He's got a beautiful floater which every small guy needs to have. And he's just got a great way about him.

"I was talking to (one of the other coaches) today about, he really floats. Like, he is an athlete. When he's moving he can push tempo, but he can also change gears. He's got a pace to him that he understands the other four guys he's playing with. I'm a big fan of Shane Larkin. I think he'll be really impactful for us. And we'll play, you know, the league has not only gone smaller at the big spots, the league will go smaller at the guard spots. So I could see him playing minutes with Terry (Rozier) or playing minutes with Kyrie (Irving) even though that's a small 1-2."

Boston Celtics news: Brad Stevens believes Shane Larkin will be 'really impactful'

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
Horford has always been a quiet leader, but he understands the importance of getting everyone on the same page at the start of this season. And while his teammates might tease him about his phone, they rush to answer when he calls.

"Al is one of those guys that does the right thing all the time. He's very consistent in that,"
Brown said. "Any time he says something to me, I'm all ears."

Echoed head coach Brad Stevens: "I've always really respected Al for every which reason, but the No. 1 thing is, whenever he talks, it's worth listening to. He really has a way about him that he picks his words carefully, he picks his times to speak carefully. I haven't seen a change in personality -- he hasn't turned all of a sudden into this person who is talking 24 hours a day -- but clearly, when he speaks, everybody listens."

Still, Horford sees what's possible and it excites him. And he's willing to do whatever it takes for Boston to play its best basketball.

Horford was spectacular in the playoffs last season, playing a lot of the small-ball 5 that he'll play this season for a Celtics team that lacks experience up front. But his postseason stat line didn't jump off the page while averaging 15.1 points, 6.6 rebounds, and 5.4 assists over 33.9 minutes per game.

The stats never quite tell the story with Horford. It was telling that, when he coached the East All-Stars last season, Stevens made sure to note how he believed Horford should also be there for the Celtics.

What Al Horford means to Boston

William F. Russell

Supporter
Daps
This season should be exciting to watch but when it comes to the long term the Celtics have set themselves up better than almost any franchise in the league. The Celtics have ensured they’ll remain relevant this season, next season and even the one after that – long after most of the so-called superteams have crumbled. So when the dust settles and all is said and done the Celtics might just be the only superteam left standing.

The Boston Celtics vs the short-term superteams