Twitter thread criticizes Maxine Waters for holding on to power (agree or disrespectful?)

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
It was not her fault, Hillary Clinton ran a shyt campaign and lost.
She had the option to step down during Obama’s term. If her boomer ilk weren’t so power hungry, they would do what’s best for the people and not their self serving interest.

I won’t even get into the Hilary/Sanders screw job. That’s a whole different topic.

Daps
I can affirm from first hand interactions with her, that she’s still really sharp…she is definitely more of a grandma than an auntie though.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
She had the option to step down during Obama’s term. If her boomer ilk weren’t so power hungry, they would do what’s best for the people and not their self serving interest.

I won’t even get into the Hilary/Sanders screw job. That’s a whole different topic.
What is best for the people is voting for their actual interests and most of them wont do that shyt. The people are the problem and will always be in a democracy. A well informed, politically active voter base that at least a majority of people participate in solves our issues. People are always trying to get around voting when it is precisely that which puts these people into office.

Why would you expect anything good from a political system that most people either do not care about, or do not take seriously? You cant out legislate stupidity and apathy.

Nagarjuna

All Star
Daps
Agreed

In politics, in civil rights/community organizations, in the church/religious institutions, you see these old folks holding on to power in the same way they are holding property and wealth

I'm not saying you should go off and die somewhere. But at the same time you can maintain respect and power in the background by mentoring and putting in place the next generation of leaders.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
as long as her brain is functioning and her constituents elect her, I don’t see the problem.
bullshyt. the DNC and RNC are cartels, that make it almost impossible to primary these dinosaurs. there's tons of young politicians in her district that should be in that seat instead, but could never just primary her, because of the obstacles the DNC has in place

anyone who's been in a congressional seat for 30 years is a fukking crook :camby: especially Pelosi. name one other job where 85 year olds still want to go to work every day :dead:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Agreed

In politics, in civil rights/community organizations, in the church/religious institutions, you see these old folks holding on to power in the same way they are holding property and wealth

I'm not saying you should go off and die somewhere. But at the same time you can maintain respect and power in the background by mentoring and putting in place the next generation of leaders.
If the young to middle aged people voted in substantial numbers and for politicians and policies that benefited them, we would not have this issue. You can't blame old people for voting for their perceived interests when other age groups do not. If you want to be represented by someone like you then vote for that person.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Idgaf if she votes the right way. RBG comparisons are stupid because as we know the Supreme Court is the most powerful group of people on the planet and aren't beholden to the will of the people. If her constituents don't like her they'll vote her out.

She's a congresswoman, not running for pres

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's about power for a lot of them. They are out of touch with the realities the common person are facing. Most of what you see and hear from them is performative.

Makes me remember when dianne feinstein was dismissive to the little kids that were concerned about climate change. It was a nothing issue for her because she wouldn't be around long enough to be impacted by it and I'm sure she was getting money from corporations that were contributing to it

Last edited:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
There's some merit in the argument. Political office is a public service. It becomes self-interest if you just hold onto the same office indefinitely.

I'm not even saying you can't be a lifelong politician. If you're good at it and do good for the people and they want you, run and you will win other offices; congresswoman, senator, mayor, governor, president...

I do want this current old guard to retire, but they're really one of the only lines of defense against MAGA. The irony is, MAGA is a problem they helped to create.

It's an old phrase, but it still rings true. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.