TSC Evaluation #30: Owen Hart

Overall Rating

• Total voters

Cheercomp

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I gave him a 6. I enjoyed Owen's matches, but i don't miss him in the ring. I still to this day thought he should have been pushed to the moon after the Screwjob and given a run as this renegade who attacks DX (not just HHH's whipping boy). When he pushed HBK off the apron after the Shamrock match, I popped like crazy

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
-Mic work/promos - he wasn't much to write about until he turned heel...he got the chickenshyt/cocky/little brother esque promos down to a science after some initial stumbling "im going to kick your leg out of your leg" :skip:...then followed by the "whoooo"..dude used to piss me off..he was classic 8.5

-Personality/gimmicks - i won't talk about the 2 runs with blue blazer gimmick because its too infamous and tragic...now high energy owen with the parachute pants and shyt :mjlol:..nah :camby:...it was until he became the king of harts/2 time slammy award winner that he shined and became legend...helped that he had a kick ass theme song ..the new hart foundation is one of the greatest stables of all times..instant heat magnets...NOD Owen nothing there...but his final run with Jeff Jarrett for some reason worked...he actually made me care/cheer for Jeff Jarrett as brief as it was..a herculean feat - 8

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds) - this is where he shined..his ring work was outstanding...put in work in japan...a legit pioneering high flyer who was sound technically..best suplexes ive ever seen in the WWE (thats includes Dynamite Kid & Chris Benoit)..top 2 GOAT opening match on a PPV with Bret at WM10..possible GOAT cage match ive seen in the WWE...oneof the GOAT short matches with Xpac/1-2-3 kid..oneof the GOAT tag team matches against a still prime Steiner brothers...he had a slew of good to great matches..vs british bulldog, shamrock, austin, michaels..recipient of the GOAT Tombstone piledriver lol..he was unique..he got it done in the ring..10

-Overall rating (which doesn't have to be an average of the above scores) - i still think he should have had a transitional reign as world champ..he was over/generated enough heat to make it happen..esp in the era where WWE had the gov't breathing down their necks because of the roids and shyt..certainly better than keeping the world title on diesel in that time frame..him and scott hall could have held the belt instead...hes also another one who over time i came to appreciate over time..and its a crying shame the tragedy of his death is playing a part on why his legacy today is not as strong as it should be...but he is an all time great through and through..9

Bootzilla

Direct from the chocolate milkyway
Daps
Reppin
Hampton va
Was real good in the ring i think of him as a precursor to smaller technical wrestlers we see today.
In my opinion he was good and coming into his own as a slimey heel too and classic

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
I went with an 8, but he's probably closer to a 7. There was definitely a time when I thought he was better than Bret, but that's clearly not the case.

Always a reliable talent who was in many of the better matches in WWE in the 90s, but seemed to have a hard time really taking things to the next level unless he was in the ring with Bret. He's actually closer to a B+ player than HHH or Bryan were. Which is not a bad thing, averaging a B+ is pretty fukking good. He was built to be a good, fun mid carder, and that's what he excelled at. Although if you're interested in seeing him as the top guy, I have the entire TV run of Stampede 1987-1989 where he was the face of the company at Stampede Videos. Also featuring Bad News Allen, baby Benoit and Pillman, a bunch of NJPW guys on excursion.

4nqIRmw.gif
OWOwj8b.gif
wawzHr5.gif

312jZXG.gif
AfXvrzD.gif
LXXHZLx.gif

That belly to belly was a work of art.

dbp

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Definitely solid, but I do think his death has overrated him.

Solid 7, maybe low 8 at best. Athletically, he was more impressive than Bret but definitely lacked his creativity.

supanegro

the average ghost
Daps
8.5...round it to a 9. I'd rate him the same way if he was alive too!

Very underrated and under utilized!! He always had your attention and turned shytty gimmicks to gold. .

I'm surprised they don't have an Owen hart award during the slammys being that he used his win as part of his gimmick and made the slammys seem important. Award should go to the one who stayed in kayfabe in and out the ring..

Man its the little things he did.. like when Austin attacked Bret hart in the ring and in the ambulance if u focus on Owen and bulldog yelling you can't help but laugh.
I kno it's a long read, sorry

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Loved his in-ring skill. He had great personality and good enough promos. I'll give him a 7 but he had the potential to be rated much higher, you can't help but look at his career and feel like a lot was left unfulfilled when there were opportunities there.

Basically this. Just to add, I thought he was a cool as shyt addition to that version of the Nation at the time. There's a YT channel that details everything leading up to being a Nation member to the end, it's great, and made sense.

I actually always favored him over Bret, even in the early 90's. I feel like he can have really flourished if he was still alive from 01-04. I'm picturing him in matches with Angle, Rey, Benoit, Eddie, and several others from that time period.