TSC Evaluation #21: Rick Rude

Overall Rating

• Total voters

Bootzilla

Direct from the chocolate milkyway
Daps
Reppin
Hampton va
8 One the best and in the class of the originator of the scumbag heel if you ask me. You can tell he inspires val venis dolph ziggler and even Shawn Michaels and his mark is still in wrestling to this day how can you not boo a dude who did this

dbp

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even though he's rated pretty highly by fans and peers, he's still pretty underrated overall.

He's one of those guys that you don't automatically think about when discussing the elites, but when you really break down what he brought to the table, he really was one of the GOAT all around wrestlers.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
First off, I was Rick Rude for Halloween when I was 8 years old... so... yeah! You ain't even supposed to like heels when you're eight years old, but that dude's gimmick was too incredible.

Mic work/promos get a 10. When he really settled into the Ravishing gimmick, I can't think of a time that he didn't nail it. Even when he toned it down a bit and became more 'serious', he was still one of the edgiest of his era.

Gimmick... 10. Nothin' more to say.

Ring work was an 8/9... whenever his opponent was great, he was great... and he even put on good matches with guys not known for workrate, but were entertaining nonetheless. His best matches to me were with Sting and Steamboat.

Overall: I'd give him a 10. I can't think of a time he wasn't excellent. He did what he could in the later years on the mic in WWF and WCW... not too much I remember from that time, but in his day, he was one of the best heels. Hit the music!

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
He's a 10 with an 8 career - he should've had at least one proper run with the WWF or WCW World title, but everything he was allowed to touch turned straight to gold.

-Mic work/promos

10. Legendary. Probably the best/most reliable in-ring promo ever. You still see "What I'd like right now is for all you fat, ugly, out of shape, [insert town's name] sweathogs..." pop up in Internet culture today and he's been dead nearly 18 years.

-Personality/gimmicks

10. Still being imitated almost constantly in almost every promotion, but never been topped. Nobody inhabits their gimmick better than Rick Rude... if someone came up with this character/gimmick and then DREW a wrestler to go with it, they'd draw Rick Rude right down to the greasy hair, 'tache and superhuman abs.

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds)

8. He had the technical skills and a sense for storytelling... never failed to earn heat. The slow, smooth twist into the Rude Awakening was :wow::ohlawd: - I was legit shook by that move as a kid. Without Rude, Warrior wouldn't have been Warrior, but he should've been given way more feuds of at least that profile.

-Overall rating (which doesn't have to be an average of the above scores)

9. He should've been a 10.

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
probably had his best run in WCW 1991-1994. a natural on the mic, a natural heel. had some great matches with Ricky Steamboat over the US title. carried Warrior to his matches besides his work with macho man.

his persona was amazing, the rude awakening, the insults to the crowd. just great all around. and he was a legit tough guy.
Very true. I remember Savage said when he was the champ, he used to have Rude (along with Dynamite Kid) watch his back when he went out to bars and clubs so nobody would try to start shyt.

Hogan and Flair were shook too. Which is why I laughed when Flair tried to talk shyt about Rude knowing he wasn't around anymore. p*ssy would never say that shyt to his face :pacspit:

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
Excellent talent. Took the path a lot of guys took of cutting his teeth in Memphis/Texas before going to the WWF, where he was a memorable character in an era full of them. Due to the style, he never really got to show what he could do in the ring, and then he jumps to WCW and is a SUPERSTAR, INCREDIBLE worker and heel who could go from comedy to mean to brutal to stoogy and never once lose his heat.

Dangerous Alliance era Rick Rude is maybe a top 10 all time in the US. I am of the opinion that Rude/Steamboat iron man match might be the greatest match in American pro wrestling history.

I gave him a 9. Cut great promos, had great matches against guys as different as Warrior, Steamboat, Dustin Rhodes, Hashimoto, Sting, Jake Roberts, and so on. Top tier look, top tier everything. Simply Ravishing, you could say.

Zi4wkUt.gif
AbydX9w.gif
R4sgRej.gif

LvapODe.gif
T2DXalC.gif
48xedeM.gif

6PQ9dYu.gif
xjYaD8u.gif
Jc3jwmk.gif

It's incredible that he never got to be the top heel and champion of WCW or WWF. Dude was the total package, especially in WCW.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
Late on this one, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway...

-Mic work/promos: 7. No specific promos come to mind, but I always thought he was very good at them. Dude had a great voice that made him sound so angry all the time. :laugh:

-Personality/gimmicks: 10. Rude was a perfect mix of handsome and tough. These days, if someone had the nickname of "Ravishing", they'd either be a woman (Lana) or play it effeminately like a Tyler Breeze or Fandango. Rude came across as a legit ladies man and legit tough. His smugness used to have me so mad as a kid. His tights were savage, too. :laugh:

-Ring work (along with some of your favorite matches/feuds): 5. Average worker who had some very memorable feuds. Jake the Snake, Ultimate Warrior, Roddy Piper, Ricky Steamboat, and Sting were all great feuds. It's a shame he never got a feud with Hogan or Macho. My favorite matches he had were versus Warrior (WM V & Summerslam '90), Sting (Clash '91.. not much of an actual match per se because of the fukkery, but a major moment in Rude's career, IMO), Steamboat (SuperBrawl '92 & Beach Blast '92). An obscure match I've always liked is Rude vs. Piper at MSG in a steel cage in... '89, I think. It was on an old Coliseum video I used to own and I've seen that match tons of times.

The GOAT at taking the atomic drop.

Still mad we never got the Rude/Boss Man feud beyond them cutting promos on each other before Rude jumped to WCW.

-Overall rating (which doesn't have to be an average of the above scores): 10.

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
I'm giving him a solid 9.00. He was a ring genius, could bump and work the crowd. Best feud of all time with Jake and Warrior. Blueprint for HBK heel work.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
9. I legit disliked him so he did his job extremely well. His run in WCW was excellent. Feuds with Steamboat, Sting and his association with the Dangerous Alliance was all fantastic.

Wish we could have gotten a Savage vs. Rude feud. That would have been bananas :whew: Imagine Rude hitting on Elizabeth. Savage would have lost it

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I'm giving him a solid 9.00. He was a ring genius, could bump and work the crowd. Best feud of all time with Jake and Warrior. Blueprint for HBK heel work.

Hot stuff Eddie Gilbert was the template for hbk.
Hbk took everything from Gilbert and easy never as good to be honest.
We got warrior and sting because of Gilbert, for starters.

Art Barr

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Rick Rude was a strong 8. His mic style was very over..he carried hacks like Warrior when the spotlight was on him..has several impactful feuds in WWF and WCW...the design for his apprarnce(robes, putting bytches faces on his tight)...snagged a the way out....had a legendary ring presence and one of the all time most over heels. He was greatness personified in this wrestling thing.