TSC Evaluation #21: Rick Rude

Overall Rating

• Total voters
Daps
I'll let Tye take it away

Entrance%2B4.gif

Rick had it all. He was such a natural, that everything he did just seemed right for whatever role he had at the time. True icon.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
A strong 8 for me. Rude personifies what made being a heel cool. Dude had the bod, the charisma, the workrate, and can cut a promo like no other. I remember reading back or I think it was a documentary, Rude showed a wrestler how to be heel. Dude just walked out and got shytted on, walk back to the gorilla and was like "that how you get it done".

Shame clumsy ass Sting injured him :mjcry:. Dude could have been GOAT status by now.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws

Watch as Sting has to extend to try to make contact with Rude who was further away than he thought, Rude adjusted to catch Sting but in doing so in that split second he put himself in a dangerous landing spot. shyt sucked all the way around blame wise

Rude really could've worked into his mid to late 40's

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
Wow @ the vote so far, ya'll bout to make Rude the highest rated of anyone :patrice:

Anyway...

Promos: 7 - He had a great catchphrase and intro to each match, but I wouldn't say he was necessarily an elite-level promo. Most of the promos I remember from him were short and to the point, he wasn't a guy that was going to carry a feud on the mic.

Gimmicks: 9 - He was best or one of the best at the good looking cocky heel gimmick, and really made you believe he was that guy in real life.

Ring work 8 - He was a great worker in his prime, could have great matches with other good wrestlers, although I don't recall him carrying guys below him and bringing them up to his level that often.

Overall: 8

Alexander The Great

I ain't gonna say this sh*t again
Supporter
Daps
I do think the scale is a bit too lenient. like there can be legendary wrestlers, i.e. rude, sting, the undertaker. and there are #GOATS i.e. hogan, rock, austin, bruno

TrillaMonsoon

Fun God
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nation Of Fun
Gonna go with 9 just because I want to save my 10's for the real GOAT's.

But he had no weaknesses and in this era of bland characters and people trying to emulate past greats, Rick Rude was original but it never seemed like he had to try hard at it. The tights, ring work and promo's make him an all-time great to me because that's what wrestling is about. He's like another Minnesota legend Mr. Perfect in where his best matches end up in someone else getting over. Which is what I think wrestling should be about so his lack of big titles doesn't make me see him any differently because his promo's wouldn't have changed and neither would his wrestling style.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Pretty easy 9 from me. I didn't see a whole lot of his stuff early on, but he had the look, could talk, excellent gimmick that pretty much opened the door for people to continuously adopt similar gimmicks (and often not having nearly the same success), and could wrestle his ass off. WCW is where he clearly had all his classics, but he was very notable in the WWF as well. Even his name was dope. Rick Rude, simple and effective, just like his finisher. Wish he had a proper World title reign. I look at him in the same way as Mr. Perfect. Everything was cool about him, and even though his life was cut short, people didn't sour on him in his latter years like other legends.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
mic - 10
Gimmick - 10
In ring - 8
Overall - 9

Step below legendary for me, but again overall the man is the embodiement of the arrogant heel.
The mic work, the gimmick, the best you could ever wish for.
In ring, solid, never did anything that took you out of the match or broke suspension of disbelief.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Always loved Rick Rude. When I was a kid, I always tried to swivel my hips like Rude, could never get it lol

His interviews on these talk shows are legendary

That joint with Kathie Lee he came off like a straight creep. Classic work.

Overall I voted 8 but probably would bump it to a 9. Mic work I have him as a 10 as he was always a great heel. HIs work with Jake The Snake, The Warrior, Steamboat, Sting just had you hating him. His only weak point was his ring work used to be pretty weak overall but by his prime he had improved a lot. Even his revival in DX the mic work was legit. After he left they seemed to cartoonish without his force behind them.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Always loved Rick Rude. When I was a kid, I always tried to swivel my hips like Rude, could never get it lol

His interviews on these talk shows are legendary

We had it good back then. There's something magic about a journalist dead serious interviewing a wrestler in character. The Rude Heenan Arsenio back and forths were great

Matter of fact. Arsenio needs that HOF celebrity wing ring

Last edited: