True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

True or False: The Thing(1982) is better than Alien(1979)

• Total voters

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Nah I got Alien. I will say tho i watch the thing more, its my go to snowed in film.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
:picard:

the-thing-head-getaway-part-3.gif

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Can someone tell me why critics hated John Carpenter so much in the 80s?:dahell:

I seriously don't get it
Hollywood was snobbish as hell back then and critics hated The Thing b/c they said he showed too much of the monster and the way he shot it was for low rent directors. The movie still looks amazing in blu-ray to this day which is just a testament to how wrong they were.

“‘The Thing’ was a bomb. Fans hated it, critics hated it. They thought I showed them too much of the monster. You just don’t do that. Only if you’re a low-rent director, like me, do you show the monster. You’re supposed to hide it in the shadows,” Carpenter said.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Hollywood was snobbish as hell back then and critics hated The Thing b/c they said he showed too much of the monster and the way he shot it was for low rent directors. The movie still looks amazing in blu-ray to this day which is just a testament to how wrong they were.

“‘The Thing’ was a bomb. Fans hated it, critics hated it. They thought I showed them too much of the monster. You just don’t do that. Only if you’re a low-rent director, like me, do you show the monster. You’re supposed to hide it in the shadows,” Carpenter said.
Yea the critics were REALLY wrong about "The Thing"

shyt they were also wrong about "They Live" and "Big Trouble in Little Chinatown" too. They shytted on both of those movies:mjtf:

Carpenter was Public Enemy #1 back in the 80s

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I love both of these movies but I have to give the very slight edge to Alien just because I cannot find anything to nitpick about that movie while I have one or two small nitpicks with The Thing.
Both movies are sci-fi/horror masterpieces though.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
One of the craziest scenes ever:damn:

Both flicks are classic. That set design and massive ship where the alien pods are discovered in Alien is flat out jaw dropping. Slight edge goes to The Thing. Even the opening scene with the alien inside of the dog running away from those Swedish dudes was:whoo::lupe:

MF_BREW

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Milwaukee,WI
Its a draw to me. Back then the practical effects were some of the best, the set designs on aliens made you feel claustrophobic (same feeling on the thing). Characters made you feel like your was one of them. For alien they build up the fear of one alien! For the thing you didnt see what who the parasite. Incredible works.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
One of the craziest scenes ever:damn:

Both flicks are classic. That set design and massive ship where the alien pods are discovered in Alien is flat out jaw dropping. Slight edge goes to The Thing. Even the opening scene with the alien inside of the dog running away from those Swedish dudes was:whoo::lupe:
I know people hated the 2011 version but the way it synced right up with the 1982 version of the Thing was:ohhh:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
I love both of these movies but I have to give the very slight edge to Alien just because I cannot find anything to nitpick about that movie while I have one or two small nitpicks with The Thing.
Both movies are sci-fi/horror masterpieces though.
I chose Alien but I can definitely nit pick it. Just like most flicks. For me the death scenes haven't aged the best. I know not showing anything or much at all was part of the terror, the unknown. There's also a scene where the Xeno looks just like a guy in a suit. It's brief but noticeable. Also when she shoots it out the air lock it looks almost like a plastic action figure. Stiff, no movements. Looks very fake. Seems like they could've shot that better. :francis:

The Thing has much better death scenes, and more mysterious alien. I dont even know what it is still :mjcry: maybe a plot hole or 2 as well.