True or False: Batman would be more interesting if we didn’t know who Bruce wayne was

Batman would be a more interesting story without BW’s backstory

• Yep, Bruce wayne is an outdated concept, we don’t need him

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Naw, Bruce Wayne grounds the story, humanizes batman

Votes: 30 93.8%

• Total voters

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
the 2nd choice in the poll is the obvious answer that most peopel will agree with. I just think about The Joker, knowing joker has a kid, his upbringing, why he is the way he is doesn’t actually make him a more interesting compelling character. Yet, he’s one of the most distinguished villains in all of media.

I think knowing that Batman is just some rich cac that knows taekwondo makes him less compelling of a figure. If you’re a criminal in Gotham you respect the villains but you also fear batman cause you dont know who or what he is. He could be a demon, it’s the dc universe all types of shyt exist. You don’t know the extent of his power, you just know its something lurking in the night.

We the audience should view batman the way the criminals of Gotham do. A larger than life figure like Jack The Ripper. Not someone in spandex. Bruce Wayne and his backstory don’t even make sense anymore, why would the most wealthy family in Gotham be wandering the streets knowing it’s filled with crime, looking like marks? Also again, batman being a white man maes me not respect him as much.

New 'Batman' with Robert Pattison and Zoe Kravitz falls flat

police were pretty much calling him retarded the whole movie

Last edited:

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
the 2nd choice in the poll is the obvious answer that most peopel will agree with. I just think about The Joker, knowing joker has a kid, his upbringing, why he is the way he is doesn’t actually make him a more interesting compelling character. Yet, he’s one of the most distinguished villains in all of media.

I think knowing that Batman is just some rich cac that knows taekwondo makes him less compelling of a figure. If you’re a criminal in Gotham you respect the villains but you also fear batman cause you dont know who or what he is. He could be a demon, it’s the dc universe all types of shyt exist. You don’t know the extent of his power, you just know its something lurking in the night.

We the audience should view batman the way the criminals of Gotham do. A larger than life figure like Jack The Ripper. Not someone in spandex. Bruce Wayne and his backstory don’t even make sense anymore, why would the most wealthy family in Gotham be wandering the streets knowing it’s filled with crime, looking like marks? Also again, batman being a white man maes me not respect him as much.
then we essentially CANT learn anything about him

a lot of what makes Batman terrifying is the mystique. Criminals sometimes don't know if he's an entity, creature or if he really even exists. Hes essentially the boogeyman and we as the audience know the truth that's is a mere man doing this where as criminals are clueless. Knowing a simple man is wrecking havoc on Gotham shows how impressive it is (scaling large buildings, martial arts, stamina in late nights, weight lifting, stealth etc.)

Batman is also a detective FIRST. The point of his stories is to showcase his deducing and wisdom as a Gothamite and how he uses it to beat cases cops couldn't (who is the riddler? where is joker hiding? locations of Falcone hideouts etc.)

Last edited:

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
IIRC Gotham was nowhere near as crime ridden when he was a youth and it became crime alley and a cess pool because they were killed like that.

Anyway if there was no Bruce Wayne there wouldn't be a need for a bat family either and I dig that part

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Doesn't the Justice League also exist? Therefore, no one thinks he's some type of ghoul or monster. He is some type of white guy because half his face is visible as well.
Not knowing he is Bruce Wayne would leave a lot of the backstory out. And he relies on that heavily for story telling purposes.

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
sounds like you just hate that he's a cac lol

read some supreme power instead :myman:

Squadron-Supreme-Hyperion-vs-Nighthawk-666x1024.jpg

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
If we, the audience, didn't know anythimg about Bruce, the first time we witness a random goon get a couple hits in on dude, the whole mystique would be gone:patrice:First time he jumps off a tall ass building and starts to glide would be lit. When we see him use the grappling hook instead of just continue "flying" questions would be raised:patrice:The first time he starts using his utility belt and all these gadgets, we start wondering why a demon needs all this tech:patrice:

It wouldn't be long until the audience starts thinking "This is just some regular nikka dressed up like a bat, isn't it? :dahell: "

Same logic pertains to a guy like Rorschach. The audience knowing his truth enhances the character, because it'd be extremely difficult to have us witnessing things from his point of view while simultaneously keeping us in the dark about his true nature.

Don't get me started with how difficult it would be maintaining any sort of mystery about what he truly is once actual super powered beings start being introduced.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Doesn't the Justice League also exist? Therefore, no one thinks he's some type of ghoul or monster. He is some type of white guy because half his face is visible as well.
Not knowing he is Bruce Wayne would leave a lot of the backstory out. And he relies on that heavily for story telling purposes.
he could easily be an alien like Martian Manhunter or Superman :yeshrug:

imagine living in a world where justice league exist and you still being scared of just a dude with gadgets :mjlol:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Batman made appearance in like... 20 000 comics or so. If he human his identity gonna need to be revealed eventually... Unless hes something else :hubie:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
he could easily be an alien like Martian Manhunter or Superman :yeshrug:

imagine living in a world where justice league exist and you still being scared of just a dude with gadgets :mjlol:
I think his lack of super human powers would be peeped out pretty early.
Secret identities are actually kind of an outdated idea with the current tech we have. In the 2020s.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think his lack of super human powers would be peeped out pretty early.
Secret identities are actually kind of an outdated idea with the current tech we have. In the 2020s.

Exactly it doesn’t even make sense to do the half in half out shyt. Either you go full ninja, mist of the night type shyt and no one knows anything about you or you just beat people up in plain clothes like Luke cage

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
You gotta see Batman as what he is in universe. He's a myth, a scary story type. Like Brand said up top, criminals don't see him like we see him. They see a shadow move and then they wake up in the hospital with a concussion. Even if you catch a glimpse of him, you just see a gargoyle then your arm gets snapped.

The shyt with main villains is just character work. It's the pawns that tell the stories and shape the narratives.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
You gotta see Batman as what he is in universe. He's a myth, a scary story type. Like Brand said up top, criminals don't see him like we see him. They see a shadow move and then they wake up in the hospital with a concussion. Even if you catch a glimpse of him, you just see a gargoyle then your arm gets snapped.

The shyt with main villains is just character work. It's the pawns that tell the stories and shape the narratives.

how Batman is known by all Gothamites:

The Boogeyman (2023) - IMDb