Reppin
Retired

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
All of these other actors that people are listing are in their mid 30s and 40s. Fred Hampton was 21 when he died. I wish we had some more young solid actors That could encapsulate his youthful rage.

Also on Daniel Kaluuya being casted, it’s not just the fact he sounds nothing like him. It’s that he doesn’t embody him in any way. Malcolm was tall, skinny, light and from the Midwest. Denzel was medium height and build, darker skinned and from New York however he became Malcolm with his mannerisms, speech patterns, and his general disposition. That’s what I wanted someone in this role to do. Stop casting these foreign nikkas that don’t have a feel for these characters

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
thelucasbros
Verified
@thuku_ explicit references to Mao and the MPLA (and many more). Fred was a Marxist. We don’t shy away from his ideology.

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
All of these other actors that people are listing are in their mid 30s and 40s. Fred Hampton was 21 when he died. I wish we had some more young solid actors That could encapsulate his youthful rage.

Also on Daniel Kaluuya being casted, it’s not just the fact he sounds nothing like him. It’s that he doesn’t embody him in any way. Malcolm was tall, skinny, light and from the Midwest. Denzel was medium height and build, darker skinned and from New York however he became Malcolm with his mannerisms, speech patterns, and his general disposition. That’s what I wanted someone in this role to do. Stop casting these foreign nikkas that don’t have a feel for these characters
What do you mean sounds nothing like him? The cadence is damn near spot on, just Fred's voice had a higher pitch. You could've just wrote the last sentence and hit post breh.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
EfCW8YXWkAAiCKt

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
What do you mean sounds nothing like him? The cadence is damn near spot on, just Fred's voice had a higher pitch. You could've just wrote the last sentence and hit post breh.
I thought the opening delivery wasnt very good. Which is why its so jarring that I get how it can ruin the rest of the trailer for somebody. However, for me everything after the opening line sounded fine to me.

Its not easy to sound like him.

The real key (and we wont know until we see the film) is if he has the charisma and presence for the role.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
To be real..Kaluuya is one of the best breh actors out there. The guy who probably could have played it as well if not better thats ADOS is
Jonathan Majors from Last Black Man in San Francisco and Da 5 Bloods.
Fred-Hampton.jpg

Jonathan-Majors.jpg

Still I think Daniel will crush the role tho :yeshrug:

I cant worry about the extra. Its for the culture right now. :ehh:
Majors would have been perfect, resembles Fred in a way. Lakeith resembles the informant too. All Appearance based that is.

Last edited:

Ducktales

Get Money
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Ducktales

Get Money
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

Great analysis

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Mods merge these threads

Feb 12 2021 in theaters and HBO Max

Anwulika

All Star
Daps
I typically wouldn't care about choice of actors but this is problematic. This seems like the type of role that, if it had the right actor who could really resonate with the time/place/struggle, that once he got into the character, he would probably need months of therapy to get out of it. Just getting into that revolutionary mentality seem like it would be hard to break as a black american man, but obviously doesn't appear to resonate the same way with others that haven't been through the struggle. I don't know.:yeshrug:

I’m not going to ignore that I’m surrounded by [racial issues], but I’m not defined by it. I’m just Daniel, who happens to be black.

What is there to talk about race? It’s just boring to me. What’s the debate? I’m more of a doer. I’m just going to do what I want to do.

The Fades ain’t about race, Psychoville ain’t about race, Skins ain’t about race, Chatroom ain’t about race, Johnny English Reborn ain’t about race. But that almost gets erased. There’s a narrative that is pushed

This is what he said in a broader context. It doesn't sound as bad as what some people are trying to show. He's probably just fed up with being gaslighted by white journalists who expect him to be a spokesman for black people all the time when he's nowhere near qualified to do so.

Actor Daniel Kaluuya says he is tired of being asked about race