TOP 50 LYRICISTS (THE SOURCE EDITION) MAGAZINE SCANS

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
TI is a great all around rapper. But a lyricist he is not

What does lyricism consist of exactly? This nikka has been on songs with Lupe,Eminem,Jay-Z,Wayne in his prime and outrapped or evenly matched them all. Just cause he doesn't use similies or metaphors it doesn't mean he's not a skilled lyricist.

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas
im gonna say this one time and make it clear:

pharaohe monche & talib kweli >>> common & mos def
at least lyricially.

:wtf: I swear I only hear shyt like this online. Say what you want about his last couple of albums but TI is one of the best rappers in to come out in the last 10 years.

fresh out the fridge, t.i. has been out for more than 10 years. and thats has nothing to do with anything. all i said was that hes a marginal lyricist. that has nothing to do with what youre talking about.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
What generation of EMCEEs did U come up on??

Im 26, grew up in the 90's, teenager in the early-mid 00's, so I guess I grew up on..

Pac
Nas
Jay-Z
Biggie
Bone
Eminem
Snoop
AZ
Kurupt
Xzibit
Cormega
Redman
Wu Tang
Outkast
UGK
BIG Pun
8Ball & MJG
Scarface
Cash Money
Three Six
Soulja Slim
Fab
Banks
Mac
Beanie Siegal
DMX
Jadakiss
Dipset

..Them kinda nikkas.

TheHomie

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cali
this list is :duck:

three stacks below ll cool j in lyricicsm

:russ:

guru below snoop in lyricism

:russ:

Homeboy Runny-Ray

From Around The Way
Daps
Reppin
Classic Niccas

Klos2God

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas would put Rakim ahead of him even though the argument is very valid that Nas is the Goat... Nas is >>>>> anyone but throw on "Follow the Leader" and see how far ahead The God was and is waaaaay back then....

Where the hell is Ghost? AZ? Ras Kass? I see some shuffling that needs to be done also. We're talking lyricist right? Unforgivable…..

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Im 26, grew up in the 90's, teenager in the early-mid 00's, so I guess I grew up on..

Pac
Nas
Jay-Z
Biggie
Bone
Eminem
Snoop
AZ
Kurupt
Xzibit
Cormega
Redman
Wu Tang
Outkast
UGK
BIG Pun
8Ball & MJG
Scarface
Cash Money
Three Six
Soulja Slim
Fab
Banks
Mac
Beanie Siegal
DMX
Jadakiss
Dipset

..Them kinda nikkas.

If U haven't already, go back to the 2 previous generations of EMCEEs starting with the Holy Trinty of Mel/Caz/Moe Dee.

I came up on the generation before yours with Rakim/LL/Kane/G Rap. In the mid 90s I went back and really listened to and studied the generation before the one I came up on. It gave me a better appreciation of EMCEEin and the foundation of lyricism. Plus the sh1t was fun a fuc...discovering new sh1t from the old.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Nas would put Rakim ahead of him even though the argument is very valid that Nas is the Goat... Nas is >>>>> anyone but throw on "Follow the Leader" and see how far ahead The God was and is waaaaay back then....

Where the hell is Ghost? AZ? Ras Kass? I see some shuffling that needs to be done also. We're talking lyricist right? Unforgivable…..

If the Source was going to go in on Lyricism they should of went ALL in and not threw in mainstream marginal lyricists to appease some mainstream/casual reader.

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
If U haven't already, go back to the 2 previous generations of EMCEEs starting with the Holy Trinty of Mel/Caz/Moe Dee.

I came up on the generation before yours with Rakim/LL/Kane/G Rap. In the mid 90s I went back and really listened to and studied the generation before the one I came up on. It gave me a better appreciation of EMCEEin and the foundation of lyricism. Plus the sh1t was fun a fuc...discovering new sh1t from the old.

Mid-Late 90's rappers>>>Any generation of mc's.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

U can make a case for mid 90s EMCEEs like Nas/Big/Jay/Wu/AZ but late 90s EMCEEs were becoming borderline garbage. Quite a few cats couldn't even form a complete sentence let alone spit. Late 90s was the begining of the end of lyricism in Hip Hop. Swag would reign supreme.

Like I said go back and take a journey through the history of Hip Hop and it's EMCEEs...you'll thank me for it!!

Swagaveli

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Europe

:manny: sorry old head, I gotta agree with 28 gramz here. I'd hate to say it, but that's just the way it is for me, I can't rock with 99% of the shyt made before 88...Even though I of course have done my research, and appreciate the OG's of this thing. Of the 88-94 era I like a lot of shyt, but since I'm 25, I fukk with the list gramz put up.

My top 5 LYRICISTS:

1. Nas/Pac
2. Jay
3. Big
4. 3000
5. Pimp C/Killa Cam