Tony Khan X Grapsody Interview: Cody Rhodes, AEW Women's Division, Finger Poke of Doom

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Has it ever been talked about what that one “thing” Cody wanted was? I know he himself won’t say, but I’m curious as to why it was something Tony felt he couldn’t/shouldn’t provide
Either the 5 mil a year that Punk, Mox, & Jericho are getting or losing booking depending on who you believe.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Either the 5 mil a year that Punk, Mox, & Jericho are getting or losing booking depending on who you believe.
I'm tempted to believe money wasnt the issue, especially if Cody was important for AEW/Khan for out of the ring stuff too like the reality show.

It's either the booking/evp power OR I saw one report saying Cody wanted to take AEW in a different direction. More promos/pretaped/story stuff like WWE while Khan/Bucks/kenny wanted to focus more on wrestling only.

I can believe the second part. Kenny sorta took a shot at it the other week too, when he announced the hardcore match against death triangle.
"Already gonna be enough talking on the show as it is"

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'm tempted to believe money wasnt the issue, especially if Cody was important for AEW/Khan for out of the ring stuff too like the reality show.

It's either the booking/evp power OR I saw one report saying Cody wanted to take AEW in a different direction. More promos/pretaped/story stuff like WWE while Khan/Bucks/kenny wanted to focus more on wrestling only.

I can believe the second part. Kenny sorta took a shot at it the other week too, when he announced the hardcore match against death triangle.
"Already gonna be enough talking on the show as it is"

AEW could benefit from some of the stuff to be pre written.

Last edited:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I can't listen to Grapsody, their podcasts are like 2hrs long and that's because Will takes 5mins to say one sentence. Righteous Reg saying the Bucks were the greatest tag team ever is when I knew that podcast trash, and Will saying black people need to remember that other people experience racism too in relation to a Cornette story was it for me.

Last edited:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I can't listen to Grapsody, their podcasts are like 2hrs long and that's because Will takes 5mins to say one sentence. Righteous Reg saying the Bucks were the greatest tag team ever is when I knew that podcast trash, and Will saying black people need to remember that other people experience racism to in relation to a Cornette story was it for me.
Yea, I notice Will likes to go into stories a lot, and focusing on minor details in stories, which wastes time. "I remember that episode of dynamite. I think it was when....." dead air or Phil and Reg buy time because Will is trying to remember details no one cares about or asked for.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Yea, I notice Will likes to go into stories a lot, and focusing on minor details in stories, which wastes time. "I remember that episode of dynamite. I think it was when....." dead air or Phil and Reg buy time because Will is trying to remember details no one cares about or asked for.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Has it ever been talked about what that one “thing” Cody wanted was? I know he himself won’t say, but I’m curious as to why it was something Tony felt he couldn’t/shouldn’t provide

Man I feel Sasha absolutely would be the one to beat Jade, but I do think he’s smart enough to know he should build to that, and make it a big PPV moment. Plus, she’ll carry Jade to one of her best matches yet.

Plus, there’s two other Mercedes matches I wanna see in AEW: She’ll have fun in the ring with Athena, and…”My bad about the blue hair, girl. Let’s get in the ring and tear it up. PERIODT!” :troll:
Cody always talked about how he wanted to be like Dusty and be the booker. He had co-booking duties with the Elite then they were all stripped of it. Then like a year later he leaves. I think taking booking from him pretty much sealed the deal on his leaving.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
I hope she stays in Japan and puts on classics. Going to AEW has Bret in WCW vibes. What can they do for her that she can't do for herself outside the ring and what Tony just said about not everyone being happy or on tv being featured and he takes that criticism with a smile is a red flag
That's all on booking though. There's no reason why Mercedes and Jade couldn't both be featured as big stars at the same time. But when booking is as limited as Tony's you are gonna run into problems all the time, regardless if a known commodity like Mercedes shows up or not.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
Cody always talked about how he wanted to be like Dusty and be the booker. He had co-booking duties with the Elite then they were all stripped of it. Then like a year later he leaves. I think taking booking from him pretty much sealed the deal on his leaving.

If it was being THE booker, then why go to a place where he'd have less sway and influence than where he was? Vince wasn't going to allow the Codyverse to take place on WWE TV like what happened in AEW.

Last edited:

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
If it was being THE booker, then why go to a place where he'd have less sway and influence than where he was? Vince wasn't going to allow the Codyverse to take place on WWE TV like what happened in AEW.
I think Cody saw more than anybody what AEW could have been. It’s clear he wanted more than a super indy. Since he was the one all up in the videos to begin with I can understand him feeling like it was his job or obligation to deliver on those promises. Tony Khan basically had him fall back like “nah, I just want WCW with ROH work rate”

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
So if you not gonna be a booker in either case. Might as well take the money and better exposure by goin to the biggest stage in wrestling, WWE. Besides I wouldnt be surprised if Vince promised him a major push and wrestlemania spot or something.

You wanna job in a Honda or a Ferrari? :mjgrin:

Remy LeBreh

Linconia
Daps
Reppin
CLB/CLE/ALB
Not sure if they’re even gonna cross paths so soon.

TK has made sure to keep Jade away from Britt’s side of the Women’s division cause he too p*ssy to book the match. If she comes in teaming with Saraya then she’ll probably be relegated to that side for a while.

If she’s coming in though, I think she should be the one to take the TBS belt from Jade.
Why would Mercedes give a shyt about the TBS title in kayfabe? She'd be the biggest women's star on the roster if not one of the biggest overall stars...if she's not targeting Jamie from the jump then she shouldn't even sign with AEW.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Meltzer touched on this in a twitter clip recently but:

With wrestlers, WWE is the goal. He said wrestlers that worked the indies like KO wouldnt have a problem doing AEW and not blinded by WWE. But guys where the WWE is all they know, they will do anything to get there and eat w/e shyt Vince/HHH would feed them. He brought up how Miro refused to job to Ricky at the Full Gear PPV. He then brought up how Bianca was happy to do that 40s squash with Becky because it was a "moment". He said that's why WWE is sorta closing out hiring indie ppl and focusing on athletes/homegrown ppl.

Reality Check

Keepin' it 100
Daps
So if you not gonna be a booker in either case. Might as well take the money and better exposure by goin to the biggest stage in wrestling, WWE. Besides I wouldnt be surprised if Vince promised him a major push and wrestlemania spot or something.

You wanna job in a Honda or a Ferrari? :mjgrin:

This is why I think he wound up going to WWE. Assuming they gave Punk and Danielson a couple million apiece, I'm guessing Cody wanted something similar when to be blunt, the Codyverse was forced and out of place with everything else going on in the company at that time. Cody's biggest mistake as booker was booking himself out of relevancy by including that "I'll never challenge for the world championship again" stipulation when the company launched on TV.