Tony Jaa , Dolph Lundgren & Michael Jai White's ‘Skin Trade’ gets a release date

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Yeah, Lundgren and Jaa both share about an equal amount of screen time and they're both leads. Not sure how you can call him a supporting player.

Anyway, just watched the movie and it was so poorly executed I don't even know where to begin.

Like there's a fun no-nonsense action movie hidden in here somewhere but half the time it's like they don't even realize how far off the mark they are, or worse, can't bother to try. Like the editing is way off throughout the whole movie, not just the action scenes, ruining the flow at every turn. There are dialogue scenes that get cut off mid-sentence, shots where you literally can see the moment the director yells 'action' or 'cut' by how actors wind up or wind down, it's just a total mess. For instance, the movie opens with a young girl running away from home to go to a talent agency in the city and as she makes her way to the bus it shows her stepping on some wildflowers (symbolizing how the skin trade destroys beauty) before cutting to her getting on the bus. But it's completely visible that when they shot that scene, the director just told her to step on the flowers and yelled "cut" right there. Which means that even something as simple as her stepping on some flowers before stepping onto a bus looks choppy because you can see her stop before it cuts to her stepping again.

Strangely enough we do get half a decent fight scene out of MJW vs. Jaa, I guess raw talent (even though it's subdued in the movie as well) can't be completely brought down by poor execution. It's probably the only fight in the movie that doesn't feel like all its momentum is continuously swept out from underneath it. Similarly the screenplay tries way too hard to be serious (you can tell by the way they keep pounding on how terrible the human trafficking industry is) which takes a lot of fun out of the movie and makes it near impossible to look past how badly written it is. If you don't try to make it humorous to lighten the tone (like Commando), at least minimize the plot so it's focused and straight to the point (like John Rambo). This was just all over the place where one minute we're supposed to be touched by the horrors of human trafficking and the next we see Dolph in a tank top stepping out of cover so he can fire his machine gun standing open and wide for enemy fire. Pick one or the other, Dolph, don't try both.

Also, Tony Jaa seems to have no idea what he's saying in English and just reciting lines phonetically (and at times literally saying them wrong, which they either kept in out of 'authenticity' or simply couldn't be bothered to reshoot), and speaking of reciting lines, besides screaming "Dad" a couple of time, the only dialogue Dolph's daughter has is where she asks Dolph to listen to her recite some lines from a Shakespeare play for an upcoming audition. So pretty much the only thing this girl has to do in the movie convincingly, is say those lines convincingly, and she fukking can't. She's so bad that you can practically see Dolph struggling to tell her in character that it sounded great.

What a wasted fukking opportunity, especially with this cast. Just wait until the MJW/Jaa fight hits Youtube and call it a day.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, Lundgren and Jaa both share about an equal amount of screen time and they're both leads. Not sure how you can call him a supporting player.

Anyway, just watched the movie and it was so poorly executed I don't even know where to begin.

Like there's a fun no-nonsense action movie hidden in here somewhere but half the time it's like they don't even realize how far off the mark they are, or worse, can't bother to try. Like the editing is way off throughout the whole movie, not just the action scenes, ruining the flow at every turn. There are dialogue scenes that get cut off mid-sentence, shots where you literally can see the moment the director yells 'action' or 'cut' by how actors wind up or wind down, it's just a total mess. For instance, the movie opens with a young girl running away from home to go to a talent agency in the city and as she makes her way to the bus it shows her stepping on some wildflowers (symbolizing how the skin trade destroys beauty) before cutting to her getting on the bus. But it's completely visible that when they shot that scene, the director just told her to step on the flowers and yelled "cut" right there. Which means that even something as simple as her stepping on some flowers before stepping onto a bus looks choppy because you can see her stop before it cuts to her stepping again.

Strangely enough we do get half a decent fight scene out of MJW vs. Jaa, I guess raw talent (even though it's subdued in the movie as well) can't be completely brought down by poor execution. It's probably the only fight in the movie that doesn't feel like all its momentum is continuously swept out from underneath it. Similarly the screenplay tries way too hard to be serious (you can tell by the way they keep pounding on how terrible the human trafficking industry is) which takes a lot of fun out of the movie and makes it near impossible to look past how badly written it is. If you don't try to make it humorous to lighten the tone (like Commando), at least minimize the plot so it's focused and straight to the point (like John Rambo). This was just all over the place where one minute we're supposed to be touched by the horrors of human trafficking and the next we see Dolph in a tank top stepping out of cover so he can fire his machine gun standing open and wide for enemy fire. Pick one or the other, Dolph, don't try both.

Also, Tony Jaa seems to have no idea what he's saying in English and just reciting lines phonetically (and at times literally saying them wrong, which they either kept in out of 'authenticity' or simply couldn't be bothered to reshoot), and speaking of reciting lines, besides screaming "Dad" a couple of time, the only dialogue Dolph's daughter has is where she asks Dolph to listen to her recite some lines from a Shakespeare play for an upcoming audition. So pretty much the only thing this girl has to do in the movie convincingly, is say those lines convincingly, and she fukking can't. She's so bad that you can practically see Dolph struggling to tell her in character that it sounded great.

What a wasted fukking opportunity, especially with this cast. Just wait until the MJW/Jaa fight hits Youtube and call it a day.

I agree and disagree with some stuff. I agree there was no story-line with Dolph's Family or some of the other characters. I agree Dolph was kinda all over the place but I disagree with Jaa's part. However this film doesn't have a large budget and the budget it does have creates the formula it can afford. What it does provide is decent action scenes with Jaa and MJW and Dolph fighting Jaa.

It was more of an action film than an Martial Arts film which is the reason people are picking away at it. People need to realize that now before watching it regardless of our viewpoints.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I agree and disagree with some stuff. I agree there was no story-line with Dolph's Family or some of the other characters. I agree Dolph was kinda all over the place but I disagree with Jaa's part. However this film doesn't have a large budget and the budget it does have creates the formula it can afford. What it does provide is decent action scenes with Jaa and MJW and Dolph fighting Jaa.

It was more of an action film than an Martial Arts film which is the reason people are picking away at it. People need to realize that now before watching it regardless of our viewpoints.

Nah. Like I said at the beginning, there is a fun action movie hidden in here, but the editing is so sloppy that none of the action scenes flow or carry momentum. And that has nothing to do with the budget, because there are DTV movies that pull off great action scenes despite their limited budgets (the recent two Universal Soldier movies, MJW movies like Falcon Rising and Blood & Bone). The problem here is that the action scenes could've worked if they were edited better (as the whole movie would've benefited from better editing). It owes its amateurish look entirely to poor post-production, whereas normally that is the phase where a bottom-of-the-barrel production can end up looking like a million bucks.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. Like I said at the beginning, there is a fun action movie hidden in here, but the editing is so sloppy that none of the action scenes flow or carry momentum. And that has nothing to do with the budget, because there are DTV movies that pull off great action scenes despite their limited budgets (the recent two Universal Soldier movies, MJW movies like Falcon Rising and Blood & Bone). The problem here is that the action scenes could've worked if they were edited better (as the whole movie would've benefited from better editing). It owes its amateurish look entirely to poor post-production, whereas normally that is the phase where a bottom-of-the-barrel production can end up looking like a million bucks.

Well the edited person did a terrible job which seems to be your main issue here. They got Victor Du Bois who edited "Last Samurai, and the Roswell series". Obviously he did a shyt job. However BNB had a editor from the "The Fugitive". Also John Hyams did both Universal Soldier films and edited both.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
lol what did you expect?
some people here were trying to tell me this was gonna be dope

only time in my life a chase scene put me to sleep. the fights were just :snoop: with the cuts and the story was straight up offensive

I want to meet the man who can open up a shipping container full of dead sex slaves then go home and fukk his wife

I only say that because this movie was really trying to take itself seriously. And because of that, they can eat a dikk:camby:

this shyt is bad and ppl need to stop repping stuff just because tony jaa got a name

Remy Danton

All Star
Daps
Bruh we all are going to rep for MJW & Jaa because of what they have present us in the form of films. But dont allow one little wack ass movie to determine they those guys are wack over all.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
i still have to find time to watch but i'm mainly only watching to see Tony Jaa in a decent movie again. i'm never going to watch Protector 2 it looks atrocious. Ong Bak 2 is FIRE!!! i don't see how people hate on that movie. 3 was cool but def suffered from many problems not least of which was a fukked up storyline.

i knew letting Jaa speak english was going to be a bad idea. why not just let him speak Thai and use subtitles? does he speak english in Furious 7?