Today is the 25th anniversary of the Fingerpoke of Doom

Tj Bronson

Average Carpentry Skills
Supporter
Daps
Fun fact: This is not what killed WCW. They were still getting very high ratings afterwards, but it was HOEgan's injury during the height of this angle that really hurt the company. They had no plan B so everything just fell apart after HOEgan went down, then when he returned it was too late and the ratings continued to fall.
I thought I'd heard that the idea was having a heel factory to feed to Goldberg but he got injured and that derailed it. But I'd already quit watching by this point so I don't really know :manny:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Fun fact: This is not what killed WCW. They were still getting very high ratings afterwards, but it was HOEgan's injury during the height of this angle that really hurt the company. They had no plan B so everything just fell apart after HOEgan went down, then when he returned it was too late and the ratings continued to fall.
Calling BS on this. They still had Sting, DDP, Flair, Goldberg, Nash, Bret Hart, Macho, etc. and Hogan was back in just a few months.

It just takes time for ratings to reflect the product. Which is why Raw in 97 ratings didn’t reflect how great the show was most of the year.

I’ve always said WCW in 99 was still good up until the fall when they tried to force sting heel. There were lots of ups & downs between then but they had the star power to overcome it…..Until everyone started getting injured/working part time.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
Kevin Nash says the original plan was that the nWo Hollywood and Wolfpac would merge back together and feud with Goldberg leading to another big blow off. But Goldberg fukked up his arm while punching the limo glass like an idiot and fukked everything up :russ:

The wild thing about this is that Russo wasn’t even there yet. This all came from the brain of Hogan, Nash, and Bischoff :pachaha:

I remember that was the moment where I stopped giving WCW my full attention.

That company was destined to die..

Last edited:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Kevin Nash says the original plan was that the nWo Hollywood and Wolfpac would merge back together and feud with Goldberg leading to another big blow off. But Goldberg fukked up his arm while punching at the limo glass like an idiot and fukked everything up :russ;

The wild thing about this is that Russo wasn’t even there yet. This all came from the brain of Hogan, Nash, and Bischoff :pachaha:

I remember that everyone was pretty adamant that this was a lie because timelines didn’t add up.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
These fireworks :mjlol:

pkgk0lf4myt01.gif

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I was 11 and this pretty much instantly killed my interest in WCW. Nash was my favorite in WCW by that point so him going back to a Hulkkk lackey was :camby: everything that was cool about the Wolfpac became uncool once he was associated with it.

I pretty much checked out by the time Hoegan and Flair started feuding. We would still switch between shows but not nearly as much as we did in 97/98.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Late 90s to early 00s WCW is one of the worst professional wrestling products of all time.

Lack of long term booking, short matches, dumbass childish angles that vince russo and eric bytchoff thought it would rival Stone Cold/The Rock era WWF :mjlol:

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
I was 11 and this pretty much instantly killed my interest in WCW. Nash was my favorite in WCW by that point so him going back to a Hulkkk lackey was :camby: everything that was cool about the Wolfpac became uncool once he was associated with it.

I pretty much checked out by the time Hoegan and Flair started feuding. We would still switch between shows but not nearly as much as we did in 97/98.
Imagine that tho. Am 11 year old said “this ain’t it” :dead:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kevin Nash says the original plan was that the nWo Hollywood and Wolfpac would merge back together and feud with Goldberg leading to another big blow off. But Goldberg fukked up his arm while punching at the limo glass like an idiot and fukked everything up :russ;

This is easily disproved Nashtales, Goldberg fukking up his hand didn't happen til the end of 99.

The basic idea of creating a Super NWO as a huge challenge for Goldberg to overcome made some sense and isn't totally stupid. There were 2 major problems with it though:

1.The fingerpoke buried Nash as he'd become the most over he'd ever been over the last 6 months.

2.They didn't emphasize that it was Goldberg vs the Super NWO enough. Hogan was feuding with Flair 2 months later and turning face.

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Low key the Higher Power angle was the same thing for WWF as this. Things are going very well, then you run back to re-run your hottest angle in a way that makes no sense.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
This is easily disproved Nashtales, Goldberg fukking up his hand didn't happen til the end of 99.

The basic idea of creating a Super NWO as a huge challenge for Goldberg to overcome made some sense and isn't totally stupid. There were 2 major problems with it though:

1.The fingerpoke buried Nash as he'd become the most over he'd ever been over the last 6 months.

2.They didn't emphasize that it was Goldberg vs the Super NWO enough. Hogan was feuding with Flair 2 months later and turning face.
Yeah….Nash & The Wolfpac were still so over it kinda forced the whole damn group including Hogan to be babyfaces only like 2 months later. Look how convoluted this segment was