To The Victor Go The Spurs - The Official 2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Everybody was saying this was one of the worst drafts in nba history but then get mad when we decide to pass on one of those picks in exchange for 2 future unprotected 1st round picks. I liked Dilly but if I had to choose between him and 2 unprotected 1st rd picks, gimme the picks.

Yes the pick is far out but can always add it in a trade. Those unprotected picks are very very very valuable, look at OKC. Next year's draft is loaded and hopefully we can set ourselves up to bring
I read that the 2030 pick swap is only Top 1 protected.

If true, that's a huge deal.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

From Manu to Juanu

:wow:

We back

:blessed:

Nah I'm talking shyt.
But ....

giphy.gif

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Pretty cool metric that shows the trajectory of draft picks in the 1st 4 years

So if you're outside the lottery....which...how do they define that? The first 14 players?
If you're not one of the lottery picks, there's seemingly a 2-3% chance you'll develop into a star player. But a pretty decent chance you can be a starter.

But even within the lottery picks, if you're not Top 5....the chances you become a star are 10% at best.

:huhldup:

What that tells me is that when you're picking in the late 1st round or 2nd round...you should be taking the highest of high risk players -- or better said -- the highest of high ceiling players. Because it becomes a matter of risk vs reward.

It's like if you're gambling or playing Fanduel.
There's a 1% chance of getting a star. A 10% chance maybe of getting a starter. So you're gonna bust almost every single time. Might as well hope that the 1 time out of 100 that you're right, you land a REALLY good player.

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
So if you're outside the lottery....which...how do they define that? The first 14 players?
If you're not one of the lottery picks, there's seemingly a 2-3% chance you'll develop into a star player. But a pretty decent chance you can be a starter.

But even within the lottery picks, if you're not Top 5....the chances you become a star are 10% at best.

:huhldup:

What that tells me is that when you're picking in the late 1st round or 2nd round...you should be taking the highest of high risk players -- or better said -- the highest of high ceiling players. Because it becomes a matter of risk vs reward.

It's like if you're gambling or playing Fanduel.
There's a 1% chance of getting a star. A 10% chance maybe of getting a starter. So you're gonna bust almost every single time. Might as well hope that the 1 time out of 100 that you're right, you land a REALLY good player.
Yup basically. Anything outside the lottery is a crapshoot.

BodieBroadus

You know my name.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D/FW
Okay so any chance SA could actually Deebo Trae away from ATL without giving their 2025 first back?

:jbhmm::demonic:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Okay so any chance SA could actually Deebo Trae away from ATL without giving their 2025 first back?

:jbhmm::demonic:
Unlikely. I think if the Spurs wanted Trae Young, they would have gotten him by now.

From what I've been reading it seems that the Spurs are going to have to package these draft picks for someone, though.

There just aren't enough roster spots available for all these picks coming up. Some picks will be used to trade for veterans. And some picks might keep getting traded for future picks many years away.

It's not exciting but it sounds like a good strategy.

Once you build the foundation around Wemby, having 3-4 picks in a draft seems like a waste because it becomes too hard to work those guys into the rotation and it puts a lot of stress on your development team.

The challenging thing is the Spurs have to start winning soon to keep Wemby happy, but they also want to have the flexibility to trade for or draft good players in the event Wemby's surrounding cast gets injured or doesn't pan out.

*Also, and this might just be a foolish exercise, but the Spurs had a points differential of -6.5 points season (112.1 points scored vs 118.6 points allowed).
By my count, they lost 19 games by less than 6.5 points, so if they can find a way to close that gap a little they start to look better.

You can't sit here and say they should have won 19 more games, but if you take some of those and add them to their 22 wins last season, they probably get somewhere into the 30-34 win range. Not a playoff team but at that point you're feeling way more optimistic about the progression and the process.