To The Victor Go The Spurs - The Official 2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Season Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Champagnie looks fantastic. If there’s a Spur that will push the starters for minutes this year, it might be him.

There were flashes of what Wembanyama can be. But it wasn’t the kind of mind blowing exhibition the media hype machine wanted.

I’ve talked about having modest expectations this season for Wembanyama, but those comments have no doubt been buried by all the troll and hype comments in other threads.
I don’t see an 18 PPG player yet. But as a rim protector his impact should be immediate.

Let’s keep in mind that lackluster performances in Summer League don’t mean much. And neither do epic ones. History has shown that to be clear.

Even with Champagnie, he has work to do defensively.

I want to see more out of Barlow.

VBM

┌∩┐(●_●)┌∩┐
Daps
Reppin
Dallas by way of Houston by way of San Antonio
Champagnie looks fantastic. If there’s a Spur that will push the starters for minutes this year, it might be him.

There were flashes of what Wembanyama can be. But it wasn’t the kind of mind blowing exhibition the media hype machine wanted.

I’ve talked about having modest expectations this season for Wembanyama, but those comments have no doubt been buried by all the troll and hype comments in other threads.
I don’t see an 18 PPG player yet. But as a rim protector his impact should be immediate.

Let’s keep in mind that lackluster performances in Summer League don’t mean much. And neither do epic ones. History has shown that to be clear.

Even with Champagnie, he has work to do defensively.

I want to see more out of Barlow.
Spurs system is such a movement-based system that I think Wemby was a little lost out there offensively. Floating around the perimeter setting lack-luster screens, I think it was a true feeling-out process for him. For all his faults, Tre is a good floor general, and Vic will benefit from having a real PG run the show during the preseason. I do think (if he plays Sunday) there will be a more concerted effort to get him some easy shots early during the next game.

Finally, after both Scoot and Amen got injured in the first game, just happy Vic made it through the first game in one piece.

BodieBroadus

You know my name.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
D/FW
Def felt for breh, but he seemed to take it all in stride at the postgame presser.

He’ll def benefit from some more practices with the starters over the off-season, and getting a rhythm with the group. He’s raw as hell.

Do wonder how hard it’d be to steal Chip back from OKC to polish Wemby’s jumper lol.

Also, I gotta remember how to brush shyt off. Used to welcome any/all fights with folks trnya run their mouth about SA, then had a nice break for a few years, with folks sayin “lol Spurs are trash” and me replying “lol yeah.”

I just wasn’t ready to get pulled offsides by Britney stans. This shyt is just so tiresome already.

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Spurs system is such a movement-based system that I think Wemby was a little lost out there offensively. Floating around the perimeter setting lack-luster screens, I think it was a true feeling-out process for him. For all his faults, Tre is a good floor general, and Vic will benefit from having a real PG run the show during the preseason. I do think (if he plays Sunday) there will be a more concerted effort to get him some easy shots early during the next game.

Finally, after both Scoot and Amen got injured in the first game, just happy Vic made it through the first game in one piece.
I just read the post-game interview.

He said he didn't know what he was really doing out there. It puts everything in context. The Spurs put him on the court in a kind of basketball freestyle. Let's see what you can do, kid.

He showed that he's going to be a rim protector and he showed good court vision with some passes.

He did admit that conditioning was a factor.

The media has so much hype for this kid but I don't think people are putting the proper context on where Wembanyama is as a NBA player.
People talked about "the biggest prospect since Lebron". But that shouldn't mean he's NBA-Ready like Lebron was.

Just as a side comment -- I thought he looked passive sometimes. That can be attributed to conditioning and indecisiveness given that he wasn't sure what to do out there. But there was 1 block where he showed some aggressiveness and frustration. I liked it. There was another time or two where he posted up his man and demanded the ball, but didn't get it. I think it hints a little bit at his competitive spirit. You love to see that out of a young kid.

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX

Victor Wembanyama told us he wouldn’t dominate his first appearance​

If only we had been listening.

All eyes were on the 2023 NBA number 1 draft pick Victor Wembanyama Friday night in Las Vegas. The 19-year old French phenom made his debut in a San Antonio Spurs jersey for a Summer League game against the Charlotte Hornets. As the dust settles, there seems to be a mixed review on Wemby’s performance.

The final stat line for Wemby was a modest 9 points, 8 rebounds, and 5 blocks, and a casual search of social media shows that some have roasted Wemby for getting dunked on, crossed over, and pushed around in his debut. A more down to Earth reaction from fans reflects that Wemby is in the process of getting accustomed to NBA play one day at a time. But a Spursian reaction is to look beneath the surface, and in this case, you don’t have to look far at all.

In Wemby’s last interview before the game, he was asked a couple of questions, and his answers are so telling. They stood out as being important before the game, but after the game (and with all of the current questioning of his talent) his answers are downright revelatory.

Here’s a description of the two questions first, so the relevant quotes can be included back to back. The first question was what Coach Gregg Popovich was telling him to focus on, and the second was a follow-up regarding a previous statement Victor made about not playing a big role during Summer League. Here are his replies:

“Coming into a new environment, it’s important not to lose that sense of...just being myself and having fun... Now is the time to experience stuff on the court because when the season starts it’s...about winning.”

“I gotta be an example on defense and more a playmaker on offense... the best players, for me, are not the ones who get the best stats, but the ones who make their teammates better.”

With this mindset, it’s easy to see how anyone expecting to witness the beginning of WEMBYMANIA on Friday night was going to be disappointed. The young man is intent on being himself and having fun while enabling the rest of his teammates to excel. And that’s what we all saw happen in the win over the Hornets.

Looking forward, there’s a great deal we can gather from Wemby’s first Summer League game. First, Wemby is already NBA-ready on the defensive end: grabbing rebounds, blocking shots, blocking three-pointers (!!), and protecting the rim. Offensively, he displays vision, has a respectable mid-range game, and finishes strong in the paint. While the NBA three-point distance looks like it might require some time for him to get used to, as the regular season approaches, we will undoubtedly see him get more and more comfortable.

So, the kid didn’t have a superlative performance to put his name on the map. It seems that (perhaps because his name is already on the map) he and Pop felt that the best use of these games in Vegas would be proving that he’s a good teammate first, and a potential superstar later. After all, this is the Spurs we’re talking about: what’s more on-brand than taking a long view in a game where the only way to win a championship is to do so as a team?