To the coli old heads was St. Ides good for hip hop back in the days

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
It was another case of Hip-Hop being used to push nonsense on the black youth.

Promoted to kids? Did they actually do that or just target hip hop heads?

The thing is if sponsors didn't fukk with the culture as most didn't it would be a problem and when they do it's a problem case in point Crystal producers and also Courvoivier fronted on rap with cism.

People who already drink are the target. The commercials are to win them over to a different brand. The premise that they were targeting kids would make it wrong if it were true. But just ads for a hip hop crowd isn't wrong, good or bad just business. I'll admit to being influenced by rap to sample Hennessy, Alize and Heineken. But I was going to drink anyway, didn't do it because of the name drops.
No. People who listened to Hip-Hop and identify themselves wit those rappers were the target, whether they already were drinkers or not.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It was another case of Hip-Hop being used to push nonsense on the black youth.

No. People who listened to Hip-Hop and identify themselves wit those rappers were the target, whether they already were drinkers or not.
So like any other commercial, they identified a target audience. Where is the malice? You guys are saying this and not showing it. I saw those ads. I dunno what you saw that was youth targeted

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
IMG-7355.jpg

:snoop:

Teenaged me used to love this poison. My boss at the car wash was an alcoholic and would send me to the liquor store to get him a Mad Dog that he would down immediately and he would buy me whatever I wanted and that happened to be St Ides Special Brew. The Vietnamese man never once asked me for ID.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
So like any other commercial. So the ads are targeting people who can't drink? Rather than drinking age heads? You guys are saying this and not showing it. I saw those ads. I dunno what you saw
I said it was targetting both drinkers and not drinkers, not one rather than the other.

Why are you acting like those brands weren't always trying to find a way to cultivate a young audience into the habit?

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Promoted to kids? Did they actually do that or just target hip hop heads?

The thing is if sponsors didn't fukk with the culture as most didn't it would be a problem and when they do it's a problem case in point Crystal producers and also Courvoivier fronted on rap with cism.

People who already drink are the target. The commercials are to win them over to a different brand. The premise that they were targeting kids would make it wrong if it were true. But just ads for a hip hop crowd isn't wrong, good or bad just business. I'll admit to being influenced by rap to sample Hennessy, Alize and Heineken. But I was going to drink anyway, didn't do it because of the name drops.
Spoken/typed with keen insight and recollection as well as intelligence and scholarship, friends.

SNYC

Black American in NYC (yes, we exist šŸ˜²)
Daps
Reppin
BK & BX
No it wasn't :what:

The only thing they made good was the non-alcoholic ice teas. When those got banned, Arizona took their spot

The Alcohol companies were no better. St. Ides cut that check to the top rappers in the 90s to sell brew. Imagine if that stuff was actually any good. :francis:

Damn,

I gotta say St Ides

Stides.jpg

That company compromised the top artists of the industry. Even had RAKIM shilling liquor šŸ˜”

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Basically hip hop culture in its purest and purist element was anti "selling out" and not trusting of outside influence but people were already name dropping alcohol brands in songs long before St. Ides cut a check. Later on when the business side matured rappers realized they left money on the table by marketing brands for free and tried to reach out for sponsorship after having boosted sales of many brands, after understanding marketing and their value. Some of these brands would refuse to identify with the culture despite the cultures contributions to their profits. Others would embrace it. Was it right or wrong?... No just business.

"Hip hop is being used to push nonsense to the Black youth". The irony of this statement should not be lost on anyone. Rap being detrimental didn't start with advertisers or labels. Started with rappers. Let's cut the bullshyt.

Im willing to bet real money that St. Ides and malt liquor was mentioned in songs before it was sponsoring anything.