TMNT appreciation thread (I thought we needed a thread for all things turtle related)

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Brehs, I've been slow-binge watching the OG 1987 animated series for the last couple months or so (I also plan to eventually get into the 2003 series when I'm done). I'm currently on season 3. For numerous reasons, I didn't watch this show growing up despite I remember how big a pop culture phenomenon TMNT was in the 90's.

Anyways I love:

1. How this show parodies how bad the crime was in NYC during the late 80's - early 90's until Rudy Giuliani took over as Mayor. This is a theme that would've went over my head if I watched the show as a kid. But as an adult whose heard a millions times about how bad NYC crime was in the 80's & 90's and how eventually Mayor Giuliani (& later Mayor Bloomberg) + Gentrification cleaned it up, this theme resonates with me.

2. How Shredder be going in on Rocksteady & Bebop. shyt be having me dying sometimes. RIP Uncle Phil/James Avery.

3. How the show clowns on Irma & April's personal love lives. I assume this gag/theme is for the adult audience watching with their kids becuz Irma constantly whining about how she can't find a man seems like a mature theme for a kids show.

The OG is hard to watch as an adult. Show is too corny. :scusthov:

I have all the seasons of the second show and still haven't viewed them. I've read it's better overall.

I only watched the first season of the new show and it's good. I'll watch season 2 when it's done.
6 episodes into season 3 of OG 1987 TMNT... I can say if you try to it compare it to the more serious & darker kids cartoons of the 90's - present, of course '87 TMNT isn't going to hold up. Which is why I look forward to watching the later Red Sky seasons & the 2003 TMNT series. But if you treat '87 TMNT as weekend morning comfort TV while I work out, like I do, the show is watchable & entertaining. Even though I didn't grow up watching '87 TMNT I also get a nostalgia kick becuz the musical score on the show reminds of the musical score of other 80's & 90's cartoons I grew up watching.

Last edited: