intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I struggle with saving money.

Unlike most people I' cheap when it comes to

• Clothes - I dont care for nor do i even know most of these brands. I just find whats fits and K.I.M
  • Shoes - I buy shoes once a year(if that) have never gone over the $90 mark
  • Jewelry - I believe men should not wear jewelry period
  • Games - I own an xbox with 3 games only. Ive played that thing like once in the past 4 months

However I waste money in the following:

• Eating out - this is my achilles heel :noah:
  • Gadgets - i dont spend a lot but i still do quite a bit
  • Taking chicks out - I just dont like to stay home so whatever chick im dealing with we're bound to go out often. Sometimes they pick up the tab. Sometimes I do

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
Over the summer i challenged myself to not use my credit card for an entire month... Just left it in a drawer...it worked too

Ima do it again once i finish moving this weekend

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the best trick if your goal is to stop spending money frivosously is to condition your mind to enjoy the feeling you get when you feel like you saved some money. to the point where you feel a shot of endorphin whenever you save money, lol. this will change your personality though and if you go too extreme, it'll turn you into a cheap miser.

you have to find a balance between the two.

another trick would be to have a financial goal. say for example you want to become a millionaire. so you need to invest money. the more money you have to invest, the closer you get to your goal no matter how small the amount. so then your mind will enjoy saving money cause you'll feel like it's helping you in your road to wealth.

finally, remember to go after the big wins first. focus on becoming more efficient financially on your biggest expenses first. cars, housing, bills (along with interest), insurance, memberships (cable, gym, etc, etc). cut the fat. i'm not saying to cut everything out or that all of this is unnecessary. what i'm saying is, try to find more efficient ways wherever possible. once that is done, then you can focus more on the little things.

EDIT: but it's true that eating out is a big one. them shyts add up...

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
First thing you do is look at a sheet of your debit balances so you can get an idea of where your frivilous spending is going. Then, and this is the hard part.

You stop.

Daps
Every time there's a dollar in my pocket I feel like I HAVE to spend it. No matter what, I'm spending money on some little bullshyt that isn't improving my life - drinks at the bar, those Papa John's specials (that's the hookup though :youngsabo:), buying fast food that I don't really wanna eat or whatever, etc., etc.

Anybody got tips on how to stop yourself from spending money frivolously?

I'm like this...to a degree. Which is why I hardly ever carry around any cash. Just a credit card.

I know many others feel like they spend more when they use their card, but I'm the opposite. I spend more when it's just "petty cash" cuz that adds up.
I try to charge as much as I possibly can....it helps with accounting and there's never any uncertainty on just how much I'm

HookersandIceCream

#TeamOrange
Daps
Reppin
Wherever whores go.....
The best I found was to think things long term.
Also transfer money to another account checking or savings, where you dont have easy access to it. The more I save the more it drives me to spend less.

Pregame before you go out.
Decide what your are going to eat way before you actually have too.

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
Every time there's a dollar in my pocket I feel like I HAVE to spend it. No matter what, I'm spending money on some little bullshyt that isn't improving my life - drinks at the bar, those Papa John's specials (that's the hookup though :youngsabo:), buying fast food that I don't really wanna eat or whatever, etc., etc.

Anybody got tips on how to stop yourself from spending money frivolously?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i keep like $5-10 dollars on me and the rest is in the bank. when i get my check after bills paid i put a huge chunk of it in my savings account cause the withdrawals are limited. i do keep some spending money in my checking and use a debit to access it and i usually end up blowing through that.

i've actually gone broke and refused to touch my savings several weeks because i put too much away and had to live tight till the next check.

MaccabeanRebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The outer limits
All I do is ask my self, "Why am I buying this?" for every significant purchase I make. If the answer is from a frame being materialistic, showing off, or because someone else has it then I don't get it. If i generally want that ish I get... basically if its for some defined need/purpose/enjoyment I get it. I dunno, im pretty simple.