Thor: The Dark World discussion thread

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Just got to see it and below are my non-spoiler thoughts on the movie.

First and foremost, it's way better than the first movie, mostly because this movie isn't fukking strolling along for nearly half its length like the first one. With that said, you can tell Alan Taylor is a tv director because even with its large scale battles, it feels so limited. The big battles never pulled me in and always just seemed like a bunch of extras running into each other. LotR this is not. The one-on-one battles were a lot better though and the movie did a better job at making the stakes higher due to the losses Thor led.

My biggest problem with the movie were its attempts at humor, especially the fact they attempted it every goddamn minute with a continuous stream of increasingly corny jokes. Like it got to a point they wouldn't even let the dramatic moments breathe because here's another wisecrack to kill all the suspense. Basically ask yourself how you felt about Kat Denning's role in the first movie, and you'll know how half the movie will make you feel.

Still, as I've said, at least it kept going at a steady pace unlike the first one so even through the weaker moments it never gets a chance to get on your nerves.

Also, if the end credits scene is any indication of how Guardians Of The Galaxy is going to be, I'm lowering my anticipation of that movie severely. I thought it looked awful and while I hope that's only because the clip was rushed to be included here, it was a bad start for one of Marvel's biggest challenges yet.

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Haven't seen Thor 2 yet, but Guardians is looking like a flop to me already. I think they realized this some time ago, which is why they started with the last minute stunt-casting. That leaked con footage/trailer from before also seemed very mediocre.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Haven't seen Thor 2 yet, but Guardians is looking like a flop to me already. I think they realized this some time ago, which is why they started with the last minute stunt-casting. That leaked con footage/trailer from before also seemed very mediocre.

There's no way "Guardians" is gonna flop. The crowd went nuts when that footage was shown.

Also it's the first Marvel movie to actually have Thanos in it. People will show up just for that.

Fred.

Moose_Greyjoy

I DO Not Sow
Daps
Just got to see it and below are my non-spoiler thoughts on the movie.

First and foremost, it's way better than the first movie, mostly because this movie isn't fukking strolling along for nearly half its length like the first one. With that said, you can tell Alan Taylor is a tv director because even with its large scale battles, it feels so limited. The big battles never pulled me in and always just seemed like a bunch of extras running into each other. LotR this is not. The one-on-one battles were a lot better though and the movie did a better job at making the stakes higher due to the losses Thor led.

My biggest problem with the movie were its attempts at humor, especially the fact they attempted it every goddamn minute with a continuous stream of increasingly corny jokes. Like it got to a point they wouldn't even let the dramatic moments breathe because here's another wisecrack to kill all the suspense. Basically ask yourself how you felt about Kat Denning's role in the first movie, and you'll know how half the movie will make you feel.

Still, as I've said, at least it kept going at a steady pace unlike the first one so even through the weaker moments it never gets a chance to get on your nerves.

Also, if the end credits scene is any indication of how Guardians Of The Galaxy is going to be, I'm lowering my anticipation of that movie severely. I thought it looked awful and while I hope that's only because the clip was rushed to be included here, it was a bad start for one of Marvel's biggest challenges yet.
I think the directer of the movie said he was disappointed in the Guardians of The Galaxy footage that was shot............I hope to god it won't suck, I'm liking the Guardian of the Galaxy characters in the comics

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think the directer of the movie said he was disappointed in the Guardians of The Galaxy footage that was shot............I hope to god it won't suck, I'm liking the Guardian of the Galaxy characters in the comics

I read that just now. I can't blame him too, shyt seemed like one of those scenes they did in between the movie watching on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

eMDee92i

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Paris/Chi
I went in without having seen any trailers or read anything about it prior on purpose. This movie was HELLA dope. Solid cast. I liked the fact that there were all those funny moments, didn't feel like it took away from the drama at all :manny:. You can tell Avengers helped open up the budget for this movie too.
And Loki steals the show :demonic:

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Wasn't the 1st movie like that too with the corny jokes throughout. Are you saying it's even worse? Is Loki shining like this?

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
There's no way "Guardians" is gonna flop. The crowd went nuts when that footage was shown.

Also it's the first Marvel movie to actually have Thanos in it. People will show up just for that.

Fred.
So if thanos is in guardians, is the guardians movie gonna set up the plot for the 2nd/3rd avengers? I'm assuming thanos will be the main villain in one of those movies

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Wasn't the 1st movie like that too with the corny jokes throughout. Are you saying it's even worse? Is Loki shining like this?

I thought the jokes were worse, like the first scene with Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings is just painful to watch, it's so bad. It's like these writers are so afraid audiences can't sit through five minutes of two regular people having a conversation that they have to fill the shyt up with corny jokes.

Loki was great though, I felt they captured his conniving, scheming persona a lot better than they did in the first Thor and The Avengers. Like there's actually a couple of twists that are pretty cool.