This Matrix/unreal tech demo is actually mind blowing

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
‘Game’ is dope, the scale of the city is incredible. this is what i want for spiderman 2

I wish there was some kind of ending though. Like something you can push that brings us outside of the matrix and officially ends the demo. I still think the people and character models need some work but everything else has me excited for what true next gen gaming will be like

Worst part about it is that there’s no way any regular game will come close to this with actual action, AI cycles, environmental damage, and how many other actual gameplay systems will need to be implemented to make it real game.

And this game is capped at 24fps and still bounces. I think the dream of 60fps games will be dead again soon

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That video not photo realistic though, thats the point I'm getting at. It looks damn good, but you can tell it's a videogame. GTA art design doesn't aim for photo realism, even GTA 6 won't be at that level

Unreal Engine 5 is in another realm

GTA V is still a ps3 game no matter how much mods can improve it, there are fan made Unreal 5 Demos that look more photo realistic than this demo

Photo Realism isn't realistic either, it looks like a photo I want my games to feel like they are real as if I'm there, everything in that Matrix think look static it didn't look real, looked like I was watching a movie, the pre rendering backgrounds in Final Fantasy VII were photorealistic didn't look real

Mortal Kombat characters were photo realistic motion captures, photo realistic just means it looks like a photo

Drive Club is photo realistic it does not look better than Horizon 5

The way things move make things appear more realistic games and also how the environments interact with itself

only thing impressive this demo shows is the ability of Unreal 5 to scale environments without using processing power because of that nanite feature

GTA 6 will look better than this demo, the rail shooter part was an interactive movie, the graphics weren't that mind blowing in the fee roam part I don't know what yall looking, Watch Dogs E3 demo was more mind blowing at the time than that shyt, looked like a static photograph not a living breathing place

Daps
Reppin
NULL
As per usual, the usuals are never impressed by good shyt in here.
:mjlol:

This is like being impressed by the Virtual Home Tours Architects make on Unreal Engine 5 because it's photo realistic and you can walk through the whole house, this isn't a game, there's nothing to do

They should just remaster Path of Neo I would be more impressed with that lmao

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Stolen from era:

I'll try to do a summary. it's nearly an hour long though
  • 50-70 people worked on this
  • made to tackle criticisms of previous demos (small area, lack of interactivity, ROCKS)
  • uses hardware accelerated Lumen
  • Lumen is ray traced and screen space
  • nanite for skinned geo is still work in progress
  • car deformation switches cars from nanite to more regular geometry
  • chain link fences are actually geometry!
  • the most important aspect of Nanite is probably the reduction of pop-in
  • the open world demo will be available on pc as a UE5 project
  • world partition used to stream in the open world
  • zones of the city is streamed it via world partition and it's how they populate the world
  • the city is generated as a point cloud in Houdini
  • the point cloud is then imported into UE5 and the point cloud data to build the world
  • devs were regenerating the world up to twice a week, right up to the finishing of the project
  • virtual shadow maps and area light shadows
  • Keanu and Carrie Ann Moss were scanned
  • and player pedestrians made using metahuman
  • the scene with Laurence Fishbourne and two Keanus is a mix of stock footage and digital
  • the army of Carrie Anns was video because of performance, but was rendered in Unreal
  • John appreciates the integration of video and render
  • made them a new AI system, cars and pedestrians represented as points
  • AI updates based on the distance from the camera
  • pedestrians and AI are persistent
  • the shooting segment's destruction was driven by the Chaos Physics system in real time
  • cares are 3 nanite zones, when collision happens, one of the zones is replaced with a deformable mesh, does have a performance cost
  • Chaos also used for cloth
  • the recreation of the famous bullet time scene used the original character model from the movie
  • the bridge destruction scene was video for performance reasons
  • lumen gets ride of the "ue4 look"
  • in general, the "ue4 look" is gone due to reduction of bloom
  • temporal super resolution works on every system
  • demo is dynamic resolution, but always scales up to 2160p
  • not DLSS level due to the lack of hardware
  • TSR works very well
  • native 4K ain't a panacea, just look at Forza Horizon 5
  • shimmering effect around the main character due to reconstruction
  • 24fps when they blend with cinematics
  • gameplay is 30fps targeted
  • frame pacing isn't great in 24fps segments, will be improved
  • PS5 runs about 1fps better on average
  • driving around cause slowdown when driving across zones
  • faster the driving, the more the frame rate dips
  • asset initialization is causing slowdown
  • SSD is not affecting performance
  • asset streaming isn't as much as you think
  • Series S targets 1080p
  • resolution based artifacts
  • nanite might have some resolution scaling issues
  • stutter between camera cuts, difficulty to count pixels due to a number of factors
  • with TSR off, 1620p on both high end systems when not stressed
  • Series S is 720p-ish
  • internal res counting is for academics
  • Series S to high end duo is like DVD to BluRay
  • camera cut pause is due to the scene being in a different area and loading new data
  • this isn't really done in other games
  • shout out to all the "HT ray tracing is dead" journalists! yall wrong
  • HW acceleration allows for deformable objects to contribute to ray bouncing
  • higher fidelity asset tracing than sign distance field
  • you can see indirect shadows in RT reflections
  • HW RT in consoles increased performance of Lumen
  • this demo is impossible on last gen machines due to memory, storage, gpu, etc
  • VRR is recommended
  • Alex thinks UE5 has to prove itself at 60fps with some of this tech
  • it's not just a "turn off lumen to get 60fps"
  • due to the lack of new rendering tech, there's a lot 60fps games; could change in the future as new rendering tech gets used in games
  • 40fps on 120hz screens? viable
  • DF has a precomiled Valley of the Ancients if you're a supporter, *wink wink*
  • the demo shows that manpower is probably the limiting factor nowadays

Pretty much a lot of tricks and shortcuts to get this to look the way it does, including using a lot of cgi. Still a long ways to go before something like this is standard and can be rendered in real time together

Last edited:

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Yeah this shyt don’t make no sense…
:whoo:
crazy amount of detail…look at the pavement…cracks/texture…faded paint, litter (chip bags and shyt) shyt looks real. Fly up and look in the windows…
It reminds me of Spider-Man PS5 on steroids.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
GTA V is still a ps3 game no matter how much mods can improve it, there are fan made Unreal 5 Demos that look more photo realistic than this demo

Photo Realism isn't realistic either, it looks like a photo I want my games to feel like they are real as if I'm there, everything in that Matrix think look static it didn't look real, looked like I was watching a movie, the pre rendering backgrounds in Final Fantasy VII were photorealistic didn't look real

Mortal Kombat characters were photo realistic motion captures, photo realistic just means it looks like a photo

Drive Club is photo realistic it does not look better than Horizon 5

The way things move make things appear more realistic games and also how the environments interact with itself

only thing impressive this demo shows is the ability of Unreal 5 to scale environments without using processing power because of that nanite feature

GTA 6 will look better than this demo, the rail shooter part was an interactive movie, the graphics weren't that mind blowing in the fee roam part I don't know what yall looking, Watch Dogs E3 demo was more mind blowing at the time than that shyt, looked like a static photograph not a living breathing place

Except the Matrix Demo looks like a damn movie and isn't even optimized. It's not utilizing all the new current gen power. How are you not realizing that? Look at how much praise it's getting. YOU might not like it, but a great majority does. Felt like I could damn near jump inside my TV. I felt like I was IN the damn game. Immersive as fukk:wow::picard:

No this does NOT look real. It looks like a videogame
thumb-1920-993081.jpg

Y'all need to stop sucking Rockstar dikk, they aren't the same anymore. The lead designers who created the greatness of the original games are gone cooking up much better projects

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Except the Matrix Demo looks like a damn movie and isn't even optimized. It's not utilizing all the new current gen power. How are you not realizing that? Look at how much praise it's getting. YOU might not like it, but a great majority does. Felt like I could damn near jump inside my TV. I felt like I was IN the damn game. Immersive as fukk:wow::picard:

No this does NOT look real. It looks like a videogame
thumb-1920-993081.jpg

Y'all need to stop sucking Rockstar dikk, they aren't the same anymore. The lead designers who created the greatness of the original games are gone cooking up much better projects

It's a tech demo it's not a game I repeat it's not a game, what are you excited about

also the Order 1886 looked like a movie too

Games are suppose to look real not like your watching a movie, they've already achieved cinematic looking games before, the fact you don't understand the difference explains why you're hyped over something that that's not even a game lmao