Thinking of training in Boxing...what's it like?

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your training starting out will be like this if you go to a real boxing gym.

Stretch and wrap your hands
3 min run around the lil cones n shyt
1 min rest
3 min run just like last time but carrying the medicine ball over your head the whole time
1 min rest
Repeat

3min on 1 min off of shadow boxing for however long

12 rounds on the bags

Another run at the end for how ever many miles.

That's starting out. There's a lot of running involved and you won't even get to spare until you get your footing, tech, and everything else right

Amused Mastery

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV

^ random video I found. This is what you should expect

Oh dang, that's the gym I go to lol.

@OP Yeah, there's a LOT of cardio and bodyweight stuff that you have to get used to as part of the conditioning. You need endurance, footwork, coordination, focus, the whole nine yards. I started around a year ago and I've made some improvement but still have a long way to go. There are so many micro adjustments that you'll be making constantly in order to optimize your striking power, movement, and evasion.

MF budz

All Star
Daps
@jilla82

One thing I'm thinking is that they might test you. They may train you for a little bit then let you spar, so you get hit then they see if you come back or if you're like :hubie:.

I've heard of some combat sports gyms that do that to thin the herd because a lot of people get a wild hair up their ass then decide they want to train or fight. After they get slapped around or choked out then it's :hubie:.
My gym is the opposite they don’t let you spar til you know what you are doing and have actually been committed to the shyt. I love watching these fools thinking they are shyt hitting bags, like no duh no ones hitting you back. Then advanced sparring day comes and they’re like :damn:.

Op it is a great workout though. Those 12 round sparring days and the high intensity pad drills and battle ropes will have you cut and also :to:

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
After watching this I for damn sure know I aint trying to fight for real for real :huhldup:...
...maybe ill take some cardio boxing classes, learn how to jump rope and get into BJJ.

Timestamped (its like a 2min clip)

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
After watching this I for damn sure know I aint trying to fight for real for real :huhldup:...
...maybe ill take some cardio boxing classes, learn how to jump rope and get into BJJ.

Timestamped (its like a 2min clip)

+rep

It doesn't make my point any more valid now that it has been echoed by Joe rogan but even he says "these gyms will let you train for a bit then have you spar just to see if you're really interested"

Black Gatsby

Lord$ Never Worry
Daps
Reppin
London
Boxing is the most demanding of training, if you put proper effort into it you'll reap the rewards.

I'd say spar too to get the full experience even if you won't compete, but you can't be half hearted about it or you'll be wasting your time and money

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Going to watch this thread:lupe: There's this boxing gym in my town and i'm kinda interested in doing something different from the weights. :lupe:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Ive been playing with the idea for a minute...but now that im really looking to get into top tier shape...I figure now is the time.

I was going to join one of those gyms that cost like $150 a month...but then I see that the Chicago Park District offers instruction for 3 months instruction for $11.

How much should I expect to get hit?
My main concern is some dental work I had done because of some injuries I had playing basketball w/ no mouth guard...I cant really afford to get my shyt fuked up.

Anything else I should expect?
Im in decent shape (6'1 178lbs), but my cardio is trash right now.
Haven't done Brazilian jiu-jitsu for an extensive amount of time a boxing workout is equally insane if not worse than a jiu jitsu workout. Getting into the condition to be able to box for 36 minutes is no easy task pal especially when they put you in that deep water

Is definitely an art to be respected.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
started 3 weeks ago at the Chicago Park District. I've worked out consistently for a decade and this is the hardest training in my life but I love it. I already could probably beat 99% of people on the street because they don't know any proper fighting techniques.

360dagod

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SAN ANTONIO SPURS NY DIVISION
started 3 weeks ago at the Chicago Park District. I've worked out consistently for a decade and this is the hardest training in my life but I love it. I already could probably beat 99% of people on the street because they don't know any proper fighting techniques.

Have you started watching film?

I watch until someone gets a good hit and I rewind to catch the setup...

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Thanks for tagging me in breh.

Myself:

I'm 32. Took up boxing classes about a year ago. I was 6'2" 215 lbs, pretty solid. Worked my way down to 198 lbs pretty easily, going 3 - 4 times a week and being slightly more conscious of my diet. I decided to do a charity boxing match (fight in 2 weeks), so I turned up training to 6 days a week. I originally was going to fight at 185, but they're matching me up with someone coming down to 195, so I'm staying at 190.

Right now to stay at 190, I have to eat like CRAZY. I could easily drop another 10 if I wanted to. I am in the best shape of my life at 32 years old. Crazy to think about it.

Training:

There's 3 types of boxing training in my opinion:

1. Cardio & hitting the bags, little emphasis on form.
  2. Working on form and technique, but no fighting.
  3. Learning how to box for real.

95% of people don't go past #2, which is completely fine. You'll be in the best shape of your life and know how to two piece someone in the street. You'll be intrigued by #3 and try it out once...once you get destroyed in your first sparring, you'll question whether you want this life or not. After that it's up to you, #2 or #3? You start to realize that 99% of people on the street don't know how to fight at all, because they're not putting work in consistently to handle those situations.

Typical workouts include

• Three 2 - 3 minute rounds of jumprope
  • Three 2 - 3 minute rounds of shadowboxing
  • Few rounds of bag work
  • Few rounds of partner drills
  • Few rounds of ab work
  • Sparring if you want

Things to look for:

• Are you getting your money's worth? Do you feel like you get enough attention from the trainer? Is he or she correcting your form or is it just cardio?
  • Are there other fighters in there training to compete?
  • Does the instructor ease you into sparring or just throw you in? If you're not ready does he still push you in without concern for your health?
When you started so late what was the average age in the gym. Does it even matter ?