They don’t make rom-coms or love movies like they used to. Why is that??

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
There was the J Lo one from 2022, there was actually another one with pirates-- the Clooney one from late 2022, with Julia Roberts. I don't know if any of those were hits, probably they weren't.

it's a different era. There are a lot of the smaller ones like Players on Netflix, which are so disposable, but filled with timely references.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
It's a shame because No Hard Feelings was a pleasant surprise to me at the movies last year.
NoHardFeelingsPoster.png

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Can't sit through sappy romance joints. Has to have a good amount of fukkery.

Like I tolerated the lovey dovey parts of Titanic because I knew it was also part disaster movie and a boat load of cacs were gonna die :troll:

Rom-coms with a sci-fi angle like Palm Springs or raunchy comedy like No Hard Feelings were also cool.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
check out past lives, it's a love movie, oscar nominated last year

also, upgraded and musica on prime, both are rom coms

I liked upgraded more than the sweeney movie this year

Great movie. Stuck with me for a while with the various themes it confronts. One of my favorite movies from last year.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
There's various genres that are way less represented. I think a lot of people are kind of jaded about love and relationships, and rom-coms have some sort of dreamy optimism about them. That doesn't fit these times. Kind of like the detective or lawyer movies, for whatever reason there seems to be a lot less of those these days.

I was also thinking, but it's totally unrelated, that it seems to be a while since the last big vampire, zombies or space blockbusters. I love the new style of Villeneuve type SF movies, but every now and then I wouldn't mind like a good SF/space movie with some more action.