There's A Problem With 'Monster Hunter: World' Review Scores, But Fixing It Is Tough

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So because someone doesn't enjoy a game its the game's fault? All games have to be everything to all people? Pure casual bullshyt.
Yes and no.

Yes it's the games fault. No it doesn't have to cater to everybody, and that has nothing to do with what's "casual" or not.

Monster hunter isn't a difficult game. You don't need to be an expert with the sticks like you do with other action games. There's no detailed or difficult platforming or exploration. Strategy is basically whatever weapon you want to use and bringing enough potions with you. Online is broken as fukk right now.

Only thing appealing is the constant grind for more materials so you can make weapons to grind more. To some of you, that's enough. To me it's not enough due to all the other shortcomings.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
People look at the score at Metacritic, instantly buy the game and then bytch after. They only have themselves to blame.
A 90+ on MC usually implies universal appeal, as it's an aggregate score presumably coming from all types of different gamers.

I knew what the general gameplay loop was going in. My problem is that the combat is just not fun, skilled, or varied enough to keep me grinding for hours on end. Only way I could find that out is to play the game.

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO
A 90+ on MC usually implies universal appeal, as it's an aggregate score presumably coming from all types of different gamers.

I knew what the general gameplay loop was going in. My problem is that the combat is just not fun, skilled, or varied enough to keep me grinding for hours on end. Only way I could find that out is to play the game.
False it’s so many 90 rated games I won’t ever look at like say a game called Forza

Jk

But tbh ain’t too many games I like get a 90 rating

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
It's a series you either love or hate. Bought 3U for the 3DS when it dropped, and ultimately didn't sink as much time as I thought I would. I don't blame the game at all, it's not a game for me. I can say the same shyt about Animal Crossing or any of the sims games. Them shyts usually score high/sell lots, but to me, they're boring as fukk games.

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
knew it was trash when i played the beta...nice graphics tho. its just too slow and clunky for me but in all fairness I never liked the previous monster hunter games I tried so the series is not for me.. I think this is one of those things if your a big fan of MH you will like this

idc picking up dissidia NT tommorow :wow:
Calling MH trash but picking up Dissidia :wow::dead:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

No it doesn't.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's the whole point of an aggregate score:stopitslime:
No, a 90+ doesn't mean universal appeal. You just wanna argue to argue. Case in point, I'm sure I can find plenty of people who don't like Forza Horizon 3. Is it the game's fault those players aren't hooked? You got games like Zelda with a 97 and there's people saying it's boring. Meanwhile a mediocre game like Quantam Leap is flawless if I listened to you. :mjlol:

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
I always find out what a games about first to se if im interested. Then check scores and read reviews to see if its any good.

This game is very clear about what it is. If someone bought it based on scores and knowing nothing about it then :francis:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No, a 90+ doesn't mean universal appeal. You just wanna argue to argue. Case in point, I'm sure I can find plenty of people who don't like Forza Horizon 3. Is it the game's fault those players aren't hooked? You got games like Zelda with a 97 and there's people saying it's boring. Meanwhile a mediocre game like Quantam Leap is flawless if I listened to you. :mjlol:
Forza Horizon 3 is about as universally appealing as a racing game can be. That's why it got the score it got.

Universally appealing doesn't mean that literally EVERYBODY will like it. You're the one playing dumb with that:stopitslime:

Zelda is overrated as fukk. Reviewers are stans too. Remember that.

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Nah i learned a long time ago with ign these reviews are all suspect... these game companies giving money under the table to prop up trash...a 90+ score should be for must have games that cant be missed by any gamer but thats rarely the case

Calling MH trash but picking up Dissidia :wow::dead:

I know fam but im a ff stan so ill be able to enjoy, thats why i cant knock the ones who enjoy MH :mjgrin:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I always find out what a games about first to se if im interested. Then check scores and read reviews to see if its any good.

This game is very clear about what it is. If someone bought it based on scores and knowing nothing about it then :francis:
On the flipside y'all say "how you know if it's good if you have not played it:comeon:

Y'all just in here talking dumb shyt.

Nobody said anything about going in blind due to the score.

I like action games, I like loot, I like RPGs. From what I watched/read about the game it was appealing to me. The MC score pushed me over the edge in paying full price for the game near launch.

Actually playing the game is not fun at this point. And again that has nothing to do with expectations, and everything to do with how much fun I'm actually having playing it.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
They didn't get anyone. :gucci: are people really complaining about a lack of instant gratification?
Yep.

It was crazy for me because I've always been a big fan of the hunter genre. God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars, Toukiden, etc - and to be honest, they've ALL passed up Monster Hunter in some way or another over the years.

A lot of the fanfare for MH is from it being propped up as a flagship title on handhelds and Nintendo for so long and.... its just never been that good. MHW is a big improvement, and its pretty good too, but everything that fans love about the series and genre is exactly what's kept it such a niche kind of game in the first place. The genre IS slow burn. Like almost every game like it, there's nothing worth getting hyped to fight until midway through the game :russ: and even then, the fights aren't "souls-like" or whatever the fukk that's supposed to mean either.

I'd be playing it a lot more if it wasn't for DBZF, but I always thought the hype over the beta was crazy. Its not like they presented the game as it was something that it wasn't, but they showed a VERY small part of the overall package.